Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abuse in soccer

Given all that's going on in the UK and a number of former youth players coming forward to say the have been molested, it got me thinking about our soccer world here. This applies to town, club and high school. I wonder if coaches in the UK have to do a background check like they do here? Mind you, all it means is that you haven't been convicted of anything, but could very much be a predator. It's really not inconceivable to think there are predators out there.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Given all that's going on in the UK and a number of former youth players coming forward to say the have been molested, it got me thinking about our soccer world here. This applies to town, club and high school. I wonder if coaches in the UK have to do a background check like they do here? Mind you, all it means is that you haven't been convicted of anything, but could very much be a predator. It's really not inconceivable to think there are predators out there.
    Sounds like a great opportunity for a Chris Hanson sting.
    "Why don't you have a seat on that bench over there...?"

Comment

I hope it keeps you up at night.

Comment

Of course they do. The US doesn't have a lock on predators. Any large club is going to take steps to protect itself. Problem is, as anywhere, if you haven't been caught nothing will come up officially. That's where an employer has to do more digging. Some people often have reputations that others know about. They quietly get let go from jobs but don't get caught - until they do. Cosby, priests, the BBC had a famous broadcaster who did it for years.

Comment

Of course they do. The US doesn't have a lock on predators. Any large club is going to take steps to protect itself. Problem is, as anywhere, if you haven't been caught nothing will come up officially. That's where an employer has to do more digging. Some people often have reputations that others know about. They quietly get let go from jobs but don't get caught - until they do. Cosby, priests, the BBC had a famous broadcaster who did it for years.
          Why should an employer do more digging when no record exists?
          Witch-hunting seems to compensate for alot of unhappiness in youth soccer.
          Coaches all take great risk in working with youth and the vast, vast majority do so with respect and care.

Comment

Coaches all take great risk in working with youth and the vast, vast majority do so with respect and care.
            I agree with your point. The problem is, are there some coaches who are predators? I don't know, but given everything that is in the news, it would lead me to believe that it is quite plausible that there are. I have heard rumors about some coaches which concerns me. No witch hunt here though.

Comment

It's something any good employer - especially any organization that works with children - should do. Most employers can't or won't say much beyond dates of employment and salary. But coaching is a small world. Easy enough to make some extra phone calls. Yes the vast majority of adults working with children are good people and would never do anything. But when you get a bad apple it literally can ruin your business forever. More importantly it can ruin a child's life forever.

- not the op

Comment

Ask the Catholic church how looking the other way worked out for them. When it comes to working with kids you better do everything in your power to make sure. All it takes is one incident and your business is toast.

Comment

Not a subject a lot of parents like to bring up with their kids, but I wouldn't rely on the due diligence of the organizations your child is involved with before hiring staff to keep your kid safe. Plus, every predator is a first time predator to start.

Best to be sure to arm your kids with the knowledge of what's inappropriate and how to handle it if there is an incident, especially if threatened about reporting. I go over this twice a year with my kids, once at the beginning of each school year, when multiple new adults enter their lives, from teachers, to coaches, to music instructors, etc. The second is at the beginning of the summer, before they attend any summer camps. They roll their eyes at me now, since they've heard it so many times, but hopefully they'll know exactly what to do if ever in such a situation.

You wonder just how many of these incidents in the 70's & 80's, that are just now surfacing as adults become comfortable enough to report, could have been either prevented entirely, or at least been a one time incident instead of going on for years, if parents would have done a better job empowering their kids against predator authority figures. Perhaps not even half, given the complicated nature of this type of abuse, but even preventing it for a handful of kids is worth an uncomfortable discussion once or twice a year.

Comment

Ask the Catholic church how looking the other way worked out for them. When it comes to working with kids you better do everything in your power to make sure. All it takes is one incident and your business is toast.
                    Church looked the other way when reports surfaced. Different scenario.
                    This topic is about trying to find issues before a concern is even raised. Are we suggesting that if a cori and possible reference sheet comes back clean, you still should check on a hire? How do you do that without infringement.
                    All it takes is one disgruntled child or parent about playing time to make an false accusation, and a career and reputation is ruined, never to be restored.
                    How many incidents in Mass youth soccer have been reported? Is there a problem or just overreaction?
                    Not downplaying the concern here, but let's not wade head first into the deep end.

Comment

Church looked the other way when reports surfaced. Different scenario.
                      This topic is about trying to find issues before a concern is even raised. Are we suggesting that if a cori and possible reference sheet comes back clean, you still should check on a hire? How do you do that without infringement.
                      All it takes is one disgruntled child or parent about playing time to make an false accusation, and a career and reputation is ruined, never to be restored.
                      How many incidents in Mass youth soccer have been reported? Is there a problem or just overreaction?
                      Not downplaying the concern here, but let's not wade head first into the deep end.
                      Not the poster but I do a lot of hiring for my firm. Sometimes a person's resume/history has a red flag (usually lots of job changes with lots of excuses by the candidate). I'm not looking out for child predators but other things like bad attitude or other issues. A HR person will only tell you employment dates and salary. References are more important for the soft stuff - again some people will be very reserved on what they say; others are VERY chatty. If a candidate can't provide you with many references or the ones they provide are not exactly glowing, another red flag. I also work in a pretty specialized industry and a lot of people know one another. It takes some digging and phone calls and isn't always fool proof. If I or others in the company get a bad feeling, even if there's not much "proof", it's easy enough to just tell them we found someone more qualified, an internal candidate, tc.

Comment

This is why you better make sure

http://nbcnews.to/2gVFKjS

Comment

Not the poster but I do a lot of hiring for my firm. Sometimes a person's resume/history has a red flag (usually lots of job changes with lots of excuses by the candidate). I'm not looking out for child predators but other things like bad attitude or other issues. A HR person will only tell you employment dates and salary. References are more important for the soft stuff - again some people will be very reserved on what they say; others are VERY chatty. If a candidate can't provide you with many references or the ones they provide are not exactly glowing, another red flag. I also work in a pretty specialized industry and a lot of people know one another. It takes some digging and phone calls and isn't always fool proof. If I or others in the company get a bad feeling, even if there's not much "proof", it's easy enough to just tell them we found someone more qualified, an internal candidate, tc.
                          We are not talking about bank hires here.
                          It's almost as if you have to prove you're not a predator. The reasons not to be a coach just keep expanding.
                          Are there legitimate concerns, of course.
                          But this is more helicopter crap from the don't eat the halloween candy crowd-if there is a problem or concern, that is when you deal with it.
                          Just looking for more reasons to blame coaches because their child should be in chess club

Comment

It's almost as if you have to prove you're not a predator. The reasons not to be a coach just keep expanding.
                            But this is more helicopter crap from the don't eat the halloween candy crowd-if there is a problem or concern, that is when you deal with it.
                            Just looking for more reasons to blame coaches because their child should be in chess club
                            This has to be one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while. You know the discussion is about predators,right? In one breath you say there are legitimate concerns and then in another breath you say it's parents looking for reasons to blame the coach. What exactly would a parent be blaming the coach for?

Comment

You sir are an idiot

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X