Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is the truth. I wonder how many players were actually ID'd at one of his MANY camps to play at USF and then also for other programs??
    My guess is that less than 1% of the kids who attended his camps received an offer from it.

Comment

This is the truth. I wonder how many players were actually ID'd at one of his MANY camps to play at USF and then also for other programs??
      emails were relentless and I certainly knew my kid had zero chance of ever playing there (skill wise, not just that he doesn't have a passport from the EU, or Brazil lol).

Comment

Transfered to Stetson, another roster full of foreign players.
        Why did he transfer?

Comment

Amen! We still get the emails and my son plays college ball elsewhere
          Hit unsubscribe.

Comment

My guess is that less than 1% of the kids who attended his camps received an offer from it.
            Why do some people play the lottery? To have a chance to win it. My kid got the chance and will be playing D1 next season.

Comment

He was a terrible coach. Only recruited international players. Good riddance. Hopefully the girls coach follows.
              Do you blame him? The international players he brought in were way better than any DA player we produced....this is a fact. If he just picked from the US his team would never have been successful. Just face it...we are not producing good players no matter if they are DA or nonDA

Comment

Do you blame him? The international players he brought in were way better than any DA player we produced....this is a fact. If he just picked from the US his team would never have been successful. Just face it...we are not producing good players no matter if they are DA or nonDA
                I guess the question is whether they should be allowed to come in and take scholarships or not. While allowed, you can't fault a coach for taking the best available talent. Now whether it should be allowed or limited is another debate.

Comment

I guess the question is whether they should be allowed to come in and take scholarships or not. While allowed, you can't fault a coach for taking the best available talent. Now whether it should be allowed or limited is another debate.
                  Don't forget soccer is a money losing sport and few (maybe none at USF) of these kids will get lasting careers in soccer. So it's the scholarships plus the cost of running the program that the Tax Payers are paying for no benefit at all. It's almost like importing foreign kids to play middle school soccer except with bigger egos and more money involved.

Comment

Don't blame him at all since most other teams they play are doing the same exact thing. Like it or not the foreign player factor is huge in college soccer, especially big programs. Wins are necessary to stay employed.

Big picture topics for other threads

- Why is DA not producing the talent coaches are looking for?
                    - Should foreign players be recruited and (or) allowed to receive grants at US schools? (They can't apply for federal financial aid btw).

Comment

Don't blame him at all since most other teams they play are doing the same exact thing. Like it or not the foreign player factor is huge in college soccer, especially big programs. Wins are necessary to stay employed.

Big picture topics for other threads

- Why is DA not producing the talent coaches are looking for?
                      - Should foreign players be recruited and (or) allowed to receive grants at US schools? (They can't apply for federal financial aid btw).
                      My son had a tryout with one of the D2 schools here in FL. The coach told us that an opponent in their conference (Lynn) started recruiting foreign players and won not only the Sunshine conference but also national titles. This forced the rest of the Sunshine conference members to start recruiting more foreign players to compete.

So the coach has to due whatever it takes to win and keep employed so you can't blame him. However, you can question the system and whether the NCAA should limit the number of foreign players.

Comment

That's the American way isn't it. Support those who haven't paid anything in taxes, healthcare, housing, education etc.

I would love to see the NCAA make a rule that you can't recruit foreigners to public schools but until they do it's going to be up to the coach. GK has been pretty successful at USF. Maybe he doesn't last 15 years if he brings in mostly Americans. Who knows.
                        I understand everyone's sentiments here but do you guys even know that these foreign kids gets their education paid for by their government. For example, Sweden, France and other European countries do fund international education for their citizens so these college coaches sometimes get these players that never made it to the pro level in their countries for almost free if their education is subsidized by their country. Another thing that most people don't understand is that foreign students account for majority of the college revenues in America. Most foreign students do not get loans or financial aids and they have to show proof of funds that will support them while on a F1 or H1 student visa. These foreign students pay the full tuition and help stimulate the economy. Now these statement may not apply to players from the Caribbean and Africa.

Comment

I understand everyone's sentiments here but do you guys even know that these foreign kids gets their education paid for by their government. For example, Sweden, France and other European countries do fund international education for their citizens so these college coaches sometimes get these players that never made it to the pro level in their countries for almost free if their education is subsidized by their country. Another thing that most people don't understand is that foreign students account for majority of the college revenues in America. Most foreign students do not get loans or financial aids and they have to show proof of funds that will support them while on a F1 or H1 student visa. These foreign students pay the full tuition and help stimulate the economy. Now these statement may not apply to players from the Caribbean and Africa.
                          WRONG. You're confusing need-based aid with athletic scholarships.

Comment

Not entirely. Not all countries pay, not even close. Countries that do pay will pay for the best and brightest - which isn't going to be a player at some low level D2 program. They want their kids going to top institutions and bringing back their knowledge to their home countries. Second, many are simply families wealthy enough to afford a US education. It is true that at many US institutions tuition paid by foreign students is a very, very big deal. More often than not they pay full boat which allows schools to give aid to other US students. It is a revenue stream schools cannot ignore.

Third, and most important, schools can grant monies based on academics and those funds - unless specified in a school's endowment charter - can be used on any student the schools deems to deserve it. At state schools these grants aren't large but at privates they are often times very generous. Even more so at D3 schools which are mostly privates. Foreign students cannot apply for government backed financial aid. But they can also apply for loans back home as well to cover tuition and expenses. They would be unlikely to qualify for loans based in the US that US students typically apply for (beyond the maximum you can take out with government)

Comment

My son had a tryout with one of the D2 schools here in FL. The coach told us that an opponent in their conference (Lynn) started recruiting foreign players and won not only the Sunshine conference but also national titles. This forced the rest of the Sunshine conference members to start recruiting more foreign players to compete.

So the coach has to due whatever it takes to win and keep employed so you can't blame him. However, you can question the system and whether the NCAA should limit the number of foreign players.
                              Lynn's coach is notorious for recruiting foreign players. He has done that since he started coaching in GA, NH and now in Florida. All coaches have to do the same to compete

Comment

Universities are open to any student who pays and has a chance to graduate. Therefore, collegiate athletic programs will do the same. NCAA cannot and will not regulate who can be admitted to a US university as a student.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X