Sideline observations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The assumption is that referees have been given the gift to see the future and can stop play before the foul or injury.

One can attempt to lower the heat of the game by warnings and cautions, but many times the worst injuries occur in an otherwise unremarkable game.

Usually when an injury stoppage occurs the referee invites the coach and if available the trainer onto the pitch, if the injury is significant the coach might ask for the parent's assistance or call EMS. The first concern is always the well being of the player(s).

It has happened that coaches and parents get angry that a referee doesn't allow advantage when in the view of the referee the player fouled is obviously injured and their prompt care is of more concern than allowing play to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Super classy of you by the way to refer to another club as Trash City. I am sure 9/10 year old girls would appreciate hearing that from an adult.
      Yeah, down in Trash City they are sensitive about being labeled white trash. They feel it overlooks their commitment to diversity.

Comment

Yeah, down in Trash City they are sensitive about being labeled white trash. They feel it overlooks their commitment to diversity.
        Umm...what?

Comment

That was actually an autocorrect from typing on my phone. But ya know what, from what I saw from those parents it fits.
          Do you not see the irony of you calling these people out for their behavior and then you turning around and stooping even lower by referring to a team of U10 girls as Trash City?

Comment

A drunk parent assaults a referee in front of a bunch of kids and someone making a snide yet spot on comment about the parents (not the kids) on a message board "stooped even lower?"

By all means, please report to your nearest college campus and stage a protest.

Comment

I like to yell "boot it" when the other team has the ball just to be a jackass.
              This!!

Comment

The sideline is my safe zone.

Comment

This!!
                  I also like to raise my arm like I have a flag and say "she's off" just load enough for others to hear me including the linesman, even though he has a much better angle than I do. Hey I've watch a lot of EPL soccer on TV so I know what offsides is.

Comment

I also like to raise my arm like I have a flag and say "she's off" just load enough for others to hear me including the linesman, even though he has a much better angle than I do. Hey I've watch a lot of EPL soccer on TV so I know what offsides is.
                    Offside. Offsides is a different sport.

Comment

A drunk parent assaults a referee in front of a bunch of kids and someone making a snide yet spot on comment about the parents (not the kids) on a message board "stooped even lower?"

By all means, please report to your nearest college campus and stage a protest.
                      Oh.. my apologies. I didn't realize that the parents played for the club that he was referring to as Trash City. I thought Mass City was strictly for kids.

Comment

U10, when did all of you get so callous? Also wonder if there was a foul called on the play. The presumption here is the parents were wrong but what if the ref was plain incompetent? How many times have you all been on the sidelines where a ref is letting kids kill each other and something like this happens because the parents are worried for their kid's safety?
                        I was coaching a U10 girls team when one of my players got injured. The Ref stopped the game to tend to her. I started to run out onto the field and the Ref stopped me. So I asked him if he was a trained medical technician. I don't know what's right or wrong, but I do know first aid.

Comment

Ref will typically give it a quick minute to see if it's warranted to stop the play and let you on the field. Their goal is to keep the game going. If you run out every time a 10-year old has a boo-boo, the game will never end.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X