X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2198688]
    Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This thread wasn’t getting any visibility, so the guy reposts something from a year and a half ago to get it going. That’s pretty special.[/QUOTE

I'm a Holy Cross grad who looks at their sports message board frequently. Admittedly soccer is not high on the priority list there, but like most message boards our HC board likes to beat a good rumor to death. And then once it's dead keep trying to revive it.

Guess how many rumors I can find on there to Koolman or the women's coach in the last 2-3 years? None. Zero. Zip. Nada. Nil.
    that's because you have to log in for the HC message boards. They will know who you are- which may be grounds for disciplinary action. Can't post negative stuff about existing staff without fearing some negative fallout on you.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2198794]

that's because you have to log in for the HC message boards. They will know who you are- which may be grounds for disciplinary action. Can't post negative stuff about existing staff without fearing some negative fallout on you.
      Marco Koolman is still at HC my son is interested in attending the school and reached out to a current player who informed he was although the players tried to have him removed. Seemingly he has a close relationship with an alumni who played soccer and donated a lot of money.

Comment

Makes no sense to talk about dropping to D2 (huge drop in prestige) or NESCAC (which would never even think about HC), nor to compare HC to D1 schools other than Patriot League. HC was good in football and basketball in another era, but now they're in the Patriot league and compete on the same basis as the other Patriot League schools. And HC mens soccer has consistently competed poorly in that pool.

Don't know if the guy is a good coach or not, and I'm not saying he doesn't recruit, but he gets out-worked in recruiting by a large margin by coaches at successful mens soccer programs. There are positives and negatives for every school, program and situation, but successful coaches figure out what works in recruiting for their program and then get out and work it. Completely different situation, but I guarantee if you put the Worcester Academy coach in that job things you'd get better results. Why- because he works his tail off in recruiting, he's credible and likeable, and he's figured out a way to sell the school despite it being in a terrible part of town (unlike HC). Not saying everything is recruiting (but it's a lot).

Comment

Holy Cross men’s soccer lost 1-0 in the Patriot league final last year.

Comment

Makes no sense to talk about dropping to D2 (huge drop in prestige) or NESCAC (which would never even think about HC), nor to compare HC to D1 schools other than Patriot League. HC was good in football and basketball in another era, but now they're in the Patriot league and compete on the same basis as the other Patriot League schools. And HC mens soccer has consistently competed poorly in that pool.

Don't know if the guy is a good coach or not, and I'm not saying he doesn't recruit, but he gets out-worked in recruiting by a large margin by coaches at successful mens soccer programs. There are positives and negatives for every school, program and situation, but successful coaches figure out what works in recruiting for their program and then get out and work it. Completely different situation, but I guarantee if you put the Worcester Academy coach in that job things you'd get better results. Why- because he works his tail off in recruiting, he's credible and likeable, and he's figured out a way to sell the school despite it being in a terrible part of town (unlike HC). Not saying everything is recruiting (but it's a lot).
            College soccer is all about recruiting. Holy Cross is in a tough spot to recruit for. It’s in Worcester- not Boston, people. That’s one strike. Also student athletes that have the grades to get in there aspire to go to the Ivy’s or top half NESCAC schools- but they don’t have the grades to get into those schools. The Patriot League is looked at as a fallback for those kids. It’s just the reality.

Comment

Don't know if the guy is a good coach or not,
              Well, he's won the National Coach of the Year 2x and won a National DII title once. He must've been doing something right.

Comment

College soccer is all about recruiting. Holy Cross is in a tough spot to recruit for. It’s in Worcester- not Boston, people. That’s one strike. Also student athletes that have the grades to get in there aspire to go to the Ivy’s or top half NESCAC schools- but they don’t have the grades to get into those schools. The Patriot League is looked at as a fallback for those kids. It’s just the reality.
                1. Personally I wouldn't put a lot of weight in Boston over Worcester. Worcester is a college town (I believe there are 5 colleges there). Boston is a city. It's about personal preference. I live on the north shore so I am not pushing Worcester. I did a tour of Holy Cross with my daughter and I personally liked the school (she ended up picking another school).

2. My son (freshman in high school) did a one day ID camp with Marco at HC. It was a good camp and the session was informative. Marco was helpful. Not sure why everyone picks a certain coach/school/club and bashes them. Must have an axe to grind. Let's all attack BC or ULowell next!! I know a kid on the HC team and he likes it.

3. Anyone that is interested in Holy Cross should go see their new facility. It's amazing.

Comment

1. Personally I wouldn't put a lot of weight in Boston over Worcester. Worcester is a college town (I believe there are 5 colleges there). Boston is a city. It's about personal preference. I live on the north shore so I am not pushing Worcester. I did a tour of Holy Cross with my daughter and I personally liked the school (she ended up picking another school).

2. My son (freshman in high school) did a one day ID camp with Marco at HC. It was a good camp and the session was informative. Marco was helpful. Not sure why everyone picks a certain coach/school/club and bashes them. Must have an axe to grind. Let's all attack BC or ULowell next!! I know a kid on the HC team and he likes it.

3. Anyone that is interested in Holy Cross should go see their new facility. It's amazing.

No ones attacking U Mass Or BC because the coaches know what they are doing and they treat the kids with respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                    No ones attacking U Mass Or BC because the coaches know what they are doing and they treat the kids with respect.
                    There are plenty of gripes about EK. He puts kids from the club on the roster, and they never play.

Comment

There are plenty of gripes about EK. He puts kids from the club on the roster, and they never play.
                      Holy Cross would demolish NESCAC schools in any sport (except squash and quidditch). Not even close. Even soccer. It's not worth arguing but they beat Colgate this season and lost in the finals to them 1-0 (four months ago). Colgate then beat UMass and Michigan before losing to Louisville in the NCAAs....that's a long way from Connecticut College or Amherst.

Holy Cross has its athletic concerns, no doubt, and the legacy of the past simply is unattainable in the future. Then again, how many schools have won national championships in basketball, football, track, and baseball? Maybe a few.

If you are smart and athletic enough to get in and play, Patriot League is similar to Ivy with none of the absurd biases.

Comment

Holy Cross would demolish NESCAC schools in any sport (except squash and quidditch). Not even close. Even soccer. It's not worth arguing but they beat Colgate this season and lost in the finals to them 1-0 (four months ago). Colgate then beat UMass and Michigan before losing to Louisville in the NCAAs....that's a long way from Connecticut College or Amherst.

Holy Cross has its athletic concerns, no doubt, and the legacy of the past simply is unattainable in the future. Then again, how many schools have won national championships in basketball, football, track, and baseball? Maybe a few.

If you are smart and athletic enough to get in and play, Patriot League is similar to Ivy with none of the absurd biases.
                        I can't speak on all sports just soccer, but Tufts would hang in the Patriot League and there would be no difference between them and any other Patriot League school. Holy Cross is bad. There is no separation between them and the best that the NESCAC has to offer.

Comment

I can't speak on all sports just soccer, but Tufts would hang in the Patriot League and there would be no difference between them and any other Patriot League school. Holy Cross is bad. There is no separation between them and the best that the NESCAC has to offer.
                          Please don't burst the D1 Holy Grail bubble.

Comment

Please don't burst the D1 Holy Grail bubble.
                            if by hang you mean lose the majority of the games, then sure. Tufts beat Army? Navy? American? Lol.

Comment

if by hang you mean lose the majority of the games, then sure. Tufts beat Army? Navy? American? Lol.
                              This is virtually the same argument as NPL being as good as DA. Just at an older age group.

Comment

This is virtually the same argument as NPL being as good as DA. Just at an older age group.

Please start another tread I check here to see if a coach who bullied my son at bolts gets what’s coming to him

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X