Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That is actually true but you are looking at things the wrong way, it's not the evaluators that take that hit, it's the kids themselves and their coaches for not reaching the potential they were initially pegged to have. Look at it another way, how many kids that weren't easily recognizable as an age groups top level players at 12-13 years old have you seen make it to high level D1 programs never mind the national team? In over 20 years I can't think of a single one. Granted ODP may not get all of those top players to actually try out these days but it's not like the top players that do come out and they do select are actually bad players. They may not attain the level that they might be originally thought to be able to attain but that is not an evaluation issue it is more a coaching issue.
    I can think of a couple kids, but no way I share their names here. They'd get trashed.

It is both an evaluation issue, selecting the wrong traits at the wrong ages. It is also a coaching issue, with most state and club coaches valuing wins and athleticism and not focusing enough on skills and vision.

Comment

I can think of a couple kids, but no way I share their names here. They'd get trashed.

It is both an evaluation issue, selecting the wrong traits at the wrong ages. It is also a coaching issue, with most state and club coaches valuing wins and athleticism and not focusing enough on skills and vision.
      Perhaps you are just too fixated on how you personally want to play soccer and that is not how the national team wants to play soccer.

Comment

or perhaps the national team lacks a coherent, unified vision, or if it has a vision, has no idea how to achieve it.

Comment

And who exactly are you and what are your credentials to make the claim that you are making? My bet is you are the same lunatic that has been claiming for years that ODP is rigged and that they only look at the late bloomers even though there is absolutely no evidence to support that claim. In fact the evidence says just the opposite. Behind the cloak of anonymity it wouldn't surprised me at all if you were nothing more than a spurned parent of a no nothing hack soccer coach that doesn't actually know squat about high level soccer or the types of players that it takes to play it.

Comment

And who exactly are you and what are your credentials to make the claim that you are making? My bet is you are the same lunatic that has been claiming for years that ODP is rigged and that they only look at the late bloomers even though there is absolutely no evidence to support that claim. In fact the evidence says just the opposite.
            i agree.

Behind the cloak of anonymity it wouldn't surprised me at all if you were nothing more than a spurned parent of a no nothing hack soccer coach that doesn't actually know squat about high level soccer or the types of players that it takes to play it.
            bad guess. i have my experiences as a player; club, youth and college coach, parent, club board member, and business person. i don't know it all. what i do know is upper echelon soccer in this country has remained stagnant, or arguable regressed over the last 30 years. with the money spent and increased popularity of the sport that is truly disappointing.

Comment

i agree.

bad guess. i have my experiences as a player; club, youth and college coach, parent, club board member, and business person. i don't know it all. what i do know is upper echelon soccer in this country has remained stagnant, or arguable regressed over the last 30 years. with the money spent and increased popularity of the sport that is truly disappointing.
              You are obviously entitled to your opinion but my sense is you are just way off the mark with what it takes to actually develop a top level player and have blinders on that prevents you from seeing a lot of the things that actually matter in that process. ODP is far from perfect but it does have an uncanny way of actually finding the kids that do end to be the real top level talents. If there is any blame to be levied for screwing up the process I would suggest that you start looking at the club coaches who are taking young kids with high level potential and absolutely failing them.

Comment

You are obviously entitled to your opinion but my sense is you are just way off the mark with what it takes to actually develop a top level player and have blinders on that prevents you from seeing a lot of the things that actually matter in that process. ODP is far from perfect but it does have an uncanny way of actually finding the kids that do end to be the real top level talents. If there is any blame to be levied for screwing up the process I would suggest that you start looking at the club coaches who are taking young kids with high level potential and absolutely failing them.
                Parents have to think to it is a resume builder and connections which will help open doors.
                They have been around for a long time and institutions do not die or disappear quickly, albeit not as strong, but still helpful. Do not discount ODP so readily. My dd was discovered
                during tryouts and we had no idea that she had the potential. I am very, very grateful
                for the open tryouts. This is the second part about club coaches.

Nobody in the club said she should try out. We heard about it by pure accident and did
                it as a gauge of where she was at, for fun. When she made it, the first thought in
                my mind was, "Why didn't these f**king numbn*ts (club coaches) didn't see her
                potential and let us know what to do?" Then, it was clear. These guys are a bunch
                of morons and I was an idiot to believe in these jokers.

KEY POINT to parents: You and your child own her development. You need to help her
                guide through the roadblocks and get her the help she needs to be successful, until
                she is old enough to decide on her own.

Quit the club. Opened door to go to practices at the top teams and now, she is at top
                team at a top club. Of course, YMMV, but still very grateful. Good luck.

Comment

Parents have to think to it is a resume builder and connections which will help open doors.
                  They have been around for a long time and institutions do not die or disappear quickly, albeit not as strong, but still helpful. Do not discount ODP so readily. My dd was discovered
                  during tryouts and we had no idea that she had the potential. I am very, very grateful
                  for the open tryouts. This is the second part about club coaches.

Nobody in the club said she should try out. We heard about it by pure accident and did
                  it as a gauge of where she was at, for fun. When she made it, the first thought in
                  my mind was, "Why didn't these f**king numbn*ts (club coaches) didn't see her
                  potential and let us know what to do?" Then, it was clear. These guys are a bunch
                  of morons and I was an idiot to believe in these jokers.

KEY POINT to parents: You and your child own her development. You need to help her
                  guide through the roadblocks and get her the help she needs to be successful, until
                  she is old enough to decide on her own.

Quit the club. Opened door to go to practices at the top teams and now, she is at top
                  team at a top club. Of course, YMMV, but still very grateful. Good luck.
                  Bingo. Many coaches/clubs either ignore or flat out try to discourage kids from doing ODP. Its been great for our daughter. Does she expect magical things from it? No. But she loves playing with different kids each year and there are some (emphasis on some) very talented players.

Some coaches that I've heard knocking the program have likely never even been to an ODP session or better yet gone to see the quality of play at Region 1 camps. Try it for yourself. You're in the drivers seat, not them.

Comment

Odp is great for younger players because it opens doors particularly with higher level club teams. At older ages it is heavily frowned on by stars and maybe others who worry NEFc (odp's biggest club player segment) will steal their players or that it will disturb the club chemistry.

It provides a different experience through the 'we are only looking for the standouts who can make the next level' mantra BUT longevity in the program is rewarded by giving regional pool spots to tenured participants so there it's broken.

Looks like this year could be a good one to attend as it could bolster players seeking DA spots at Stars or Breakers, neither of which will want to give up GDA players who start in odp and might fit GDA.

Just more touches for many though with the R1 camp and maybe tourney games and R1 team roster spot as the end game.

Comment

Odp is great for younger players because it opens doors particularly with higher level club teams. At older ages it is heavily frowned on by stars and maybe others who worry NEFc (odp's biggest club player segment) will steal their players or that it will disturb the club chemistry.

It provides a different experience through the 'we are only looking for the standouts who can make the next level' mantra BUT longevity in the program is rewarded by giving regional pool spots to tenured participants so there it's broken.

Looks like this year could be a good one to attend as it could bolster players seeking DA spots at Stars or Breakers, neither of which will want to give up GDA players who start in odp and might fit GDA.

Just more touches for many though with the R1 camp and maybe tourney games and R1 team roster spot as the end game.
                      What do you mean longevity in the program is rewarded by giving spots to tenured participants? We've seen plenty of new kids in pool each year, players who have made it for multiple years get dumped and some skip a year only to make it the following one.

Comment

What do you mean longevity in the program is rewarded by giving spots to tenured participants? We've seen plenty of new kids in pool each year, players who have made it for multiple years get dumped and some skip a year only to make it the following one.
                        They mean that they want everyone to get their turn in the limelight. The problem with programs like ODP is the tie will pretty much always go to the incumbent and they have a problem with that. The reality is the players they are concerned with though are the bubble players that probably ARE inter changeable to some degree with other players. In a nut shell they want them to be cut and a new crop brought in. Maybe that is a good idea, maybe not, but the reality is none of those bubble players are really going anywhere in ODP anyways so his concern is functionally just about giving more opportunity to players that have pretty much reached the top end of their potential and aren't really the focus of the program. His agenda is he thinks that there are hidden gems in that group of bubble players and the evaluators at ODP are either too stupid to see them or just too blinded by the sort of player profile they were given by the national team and told to find. The truth is though he is basically looking for a needle in a haystack that no one is actually convinced is there.

Comment

They mean that they want everyone to get their turn in the limelight. The problem with programs like ODP is the tie will pretty much always go to the incumbent and they have a problem with that. The reality is the players they are concerned with though are the bubble players that probably ARE inter changeable to some degree with other players. In a nut shell they want them to be cut and a new crop brought in. Maybe that is a good idea, maybe not, but the reality is none of those bubble players are really going anywhere in ODP anyways so his concern is functionally just about giving more opportunity to players that have pretty much reached the top end of their potential and aren't really the focus of the program. His agenda is he thinks that there are hidden gems in that group of bubble players and the evaluators at ODP are either too stupid to see them or just too blinded by the sort of player profile they were given by the national team and told to find. The truth is though he is basically looking for a needle in a haystack that no one is actually convinced is there.
                          If anyone thinks the consistently pick the best players they are nuts. Also, the quality of the program varied wildly by state. My daughter did it. It was a good experience. But the talent is not what you would expect it to be and the pool selection is obtuse.

Comment

If anyone thinks the consistently pick the best players they are nuts. Also, the quality of the program varied wildly by state. My daughter did it. It was a good experience. But the talent is not what you would expect it to be and the pool selection is obtuse.
                            "Talent level is not what you would expect"??? Compared to what? I have seen a few tryouts in the last few years. There are a few standouts, a few that should not have made the trip and many solid players that are heading in the right direction. Pretty much everyone there has good skill and soccer awareness and are eager to improve. For some this is the only opportunity they have to play along side others with the same make up.

Comment

"Talent level is not what you would expect"??? Compared to what? I have seen a few tryouts in the last few years. There are a few standouts, a few that should not have made the trip and many solid players that are heading in the right direction. Pretty much everyone there has good skill and soccer awareness and are eager to improve. For some this is the only opportunity they have to play along side others with the same make up.
                              Maybe you missed my description posted yesterday about the 2004 girls tryouts. Not only few standout/impact players, but mostly terrible first touches, poor field awareness/heads-up play, poor technical passing skills, etc. A number of players struggled with the 4v4 format in terms of proper formation and team play. Obviously most of these girls don't play futsal. If they can't figure out triangle passing/support in 4v4, how the hell do you expect them to understand or play good 11v11 soccer? Bottom line I was not impressed at all with the talent level at tryouts. About the only thing I saw that was halfway decent was girls dribbling and taking on defenders. Great, the one thing that is heavily stressed from U6-U11. Too bad you're playing 11v11 at this age group and trying to dribble up the field through multiple defenders is a recipe for turnovers. The teams my D is being recruited for have girls that play much better soccer than what I saw at tryouts. Obviously the pool players from last year weren't there, but the reality is the only reason to do ODP is to add it to the soccer resume. I don't see it as a a true tool to improve the development of my D. Revs RDS has better quality (boys) players for my D to work with and against and it's closer than Lancaster.

Comment

Maybe you missed my description posted yesterday about the 2004 girls tryouts. Not only few standout/impact players, but mostly terrible first touches, poor field awareness/heads-up play, poor technical passing skills, etc. A number of players struggled with the 4v4 format in terms of proper formation and team play. Obviously most of these girls don't play futsal. If they can't figure out triangle passing/support in 4v4, how the hell do you expect them to understand or play good 11v11 soccer? Bottom line I was not impressed at all with the talent level at tryouts. About the only thing I saw that was halfway decent was girls dribbling and taking on defenders. Great, the one thing that is heavily stressed from U6-U11. Too bad you're playing 11v11 at this age group and trying to dribble up the field through multiple defenders is a recipe for turnovers. The teams my D is being recruited for have girls that play much better soccer than what I saw at tryouts. Obviously the pool players from last year weren't there, but the reality is the only reason to do ODP is to add it to the soccer resume. I don't see it as a a true tool to improve the development of my D. Revs RDS has better quality (boys) players for my D to work with and against and it's closer than Lancaster.
                                So then don't have her do ODP. And for those who choose to - good luck and let them enjoy it. Don't take it so darn seriously. If your kid is happy, great. If not, move on.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X