Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ODP Girls Side 2016-2017

ODP tryouts in full swing. 2003 age group had huge numbers at first day of tryouts. Somewhat baffling to me since girls academy starts next year making ODP further less relevant since ODP is the same path to get ID'd.

Or am I mistaken?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    ODP tryouts in full swing. 2003 age group had huge numbers at first day of tryouts. Somewhat baffling to me since girls academy starts next year making ODP further less relevant since ODP is the same path to get ID'd.

Or am I mistaken?
    Your first mistake is assuming that anyone cares

There's alway "numbers" at tryouts. But it's more about the quality of who shows up. That has been in decline for a few years now. Also, GDA will take some time to get up and running so people are still looking for bullet points for their kids' resumes

Comment

Word has filtered back to the newbie parents that if they want a shot at having their kid on a GDA team the surest way is by making ODP first. Go figure.

Comment

Word has filtered back to the newbie parents that if they want a shot at having their kid on a GDA team the surest way is by making ODP first. Go figure.
        90+ kids. I guess so.

Comment

Good thing that there are so many experts on this site to set everyone straight.

Comment

ODP won't exist in 5 years.

Comment

Silly thought

Mass youth soccer telling club DOCs who'll the'll be taking on their GDA teams.

Comment

The site is quiet. Most parents not posting so as to not invite further competition for day 2 of tryouts. From my observations the ODP teams should be just as competitive as the ecnl or npl North East level. Many Region 1 kids from last year and loads to choose from this year. Obviously some years maybe lighter then others. Would be nice to hear of numbers per age group. We know OP posted 90 kids for 03 girls. Can anyone post for their respected age group ?

Comment

The site is quiet. Most parents not posting so as to not invite further competition for day 2 of tryouts. From my observations the ODP teams should be just as competitive as the ecnl or npl North East level. Many Region 1 kids from last year and loads to choose from this year. Obviously some years maybe lighter then others. Would be nice to hear of numbers per age group. We know OP posted 90 kids for 03 girls. Can anyone post for their respected age group ?
                  My estimate for the 2004 girls was 50-60 total with maybe 8 of those keepers. The small-sided scrimmages were 4v4 to cones and the larger scrimmages were 9v9 with keepers using nets. My D's scrimmage group (the older group of 2004's) had 4 keepers and 16 field players with 4 subs.

Overall, I wasn't impressed with the technical skill of the 2004's as a whole. A few players stood out, but not many. Also, the coaches present didn't bother to manage substitutions. Left it to the players to call out numbers to come off the field after 2 minutes. My D got subbed constantly while others, mostly defenders/midfielder barely subbed, as everyone wanted to play attacking roles and score.

My question for the board is this: Is the second tryout necessary? My D has a club game conflict the same day as the second tryout. I'm guessing it would only matter if a player was on the bubble, but we'll see...

Comment

My estimate for the 2004 girls was 50-60 total with maybe 8 of those keepers. The small-sided scrimmages were 4v4 to cones and the larger scrimmages were 9v9 with keepers using nets. My D's scrimmage group (the older group of 2004's) had 4 keepers and 16 field players with 4 subs.

Overall, I wasn't impressed with the technical skill of the 2004's as a whole. A few players stood out, but not many. Also, the coaches present didn't bother to manage substitutions. Left it to the players to call out numbers to come off the field after 2 minutes. My D got subbed constantly while others, mostly defenders/midfielder barely subbed, as everyone wanted to play attacking roles and score.

My question for the board is this: Is the second tryout necessary? My D has a club game conflict the same day as the second tryout. I'm guessing it would only matter if a player was on the bubble, but we'll see...
                    Only you know how she looked compared to the others. If she stood out then I would email coach as present the conflict.

The numbers for GK's sound on the high side. Same as the 2003's. The 03's had incredible talent at the GK position.

Comment

The other thing to keep in mind is that the top kids from 03/04 that made the regional pool did not have to go to tryouts. While I do not know what those numbers might be you can assume somewhere between 5 and 10 girls at each age group did not need to attend.

Comment

Not trying to be snarky but if you want a sincere answer, you need to start by stepping back and asking yourself why you are doing the tryout in the first place. If your goal is to see if your daughter is amongst the chosen few who the process is actually designed to find then the answer is no she doesn't need to go again. In fact going to the second one would be a big mistake because either your daughter jumped out at them during the 1st tryout, which is what a true top tier player will do, or she won't and all the second tryout will do is cloud that information. If your goal is simply to see if she can make the state team, then you absolutely go to the second tryout to ensure that she was seen and to give her every opportunity to showcase herself.

Everyone needs to come to grips with what this ODP program is actually designed to do and what making the various parts of it usually means in order to get the fullest value out of going to their tryouts. The truth of the matter is there will be a huge gap between a kid who is just the "bubble" player you are thinking of and the players that safely make the state team and then there is another very sizable gap between that group and the ones that get the almost automatic recognition. Fast forwarding through the years, you will see that that later group nets down and is what ends up making the Regional Pool year in and year out, and then are the top D1 commits in the class . Those are the players that the GDA will be looking for.

Comment

I don't have a lot of faith in the ODP evaluators selecting top talent. I have seen them pick kids at young ages, and retain them in the program, that don't even make mid level D3 squads, while passing over others that end up regular starters on top New England D1 teams.

If this is the design that will be used to select GDAP youngsters, I don't have a lot of faith we will see a much different result.

Comment

I don't have a lot of faith in the ODP evaluators selecting top talent. I have seen them pick kids at young ages, and retain them in the program, that don't even make mid level D3 squads, while passing over others that end up regular starters on top New England D1 teams.

If this is the design that will be used to select GDAP youngsters, I don't have a lot of faith we will see a much different result.
                            That is actually true but you are looking at things the wrong way, it's not the evaluators that take that hit, it's the kids themselves and their coaches for not reaching the potential they were initially pegged to have. Look at it another way, how many kids that weren't easily recognizable as an age groups top level players at 12-13 years old have you seen make it to high level D1 programs never mind the national team? In over 20 years I can't think of a single one. Granted ODP may not get all of those top players to actually try out these days but it's not like the top players that do come out and they do select are actually bad players. They may not attain the level that they might be originally thought to be able to attain but that is not an evaluation issue it is more a coaching issue.

Comment

Only you know how she looked compared to the others. If she stood out then I would email coach as present the conflict.

The numbers for GK's sound on the high side. Same as the 2003's. The 03's had incredible talent at the GK position.
                              I agree with the comments about the goalies at this age group. This is our daughters first year trying out. How does the rating work for goalie?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X