Cracking the GPS Code

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't mind cracking the code on the GPS safe full of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      You'll only find broken promises and shattered dreams in that safe

Comment

You'll only find broken promises and shattered dreams in that safe
        And GS points

Comment

Only used to lockup coaches passports, so they can't takeoff and find a better job.

Comment

What is the best alternative?

Question to all of the bitter, anti-GPS posters who have flooded TS for quite some time, but seemingly even more frequently, in the past few weeks:

Other than GPS, where should a high school aged boy (U15-U18) with DAP / high-NPL level skills (but wants to play for their prep school / D1 high school), and a commitment to their studies, play soccer?

What club would you recommend in the general Boston area? What option is significantly better than GPS?

(please don't say Revs - commute to Foxboro and commitment to studies rules it out)

Comment

Question to all of the bitter, anti-GPS posters who have flooded TS for quite some time, but seemingly even more frequently, in the past few weeks:

Other than GPS, where should a high school aged boy (U15-U18) with DAP / high-NPL level skills (but wants to play for their prep school / D1 high school), and a commitment to their studies, play soccer?

What club would you recommend in the general Boston area? What option is significantly better than GPS?

(please don't say Revs - commute to Foxboro and commitment to studies rules it out)
              I'm not one of the bitter GPS posters, but have kids at clubs other than GPS, so this is an unbiased opinion. For an older boy in an age group where most the best players have moved on to DAP clubs, the most successful non-DAP club seems to me to be GPS. Looks like they have done well in past regional and national tournaments and have lots of opportunities to be ID'd, especially if a kid is one of the top players and is invited to play with the GPS national team. NEFC might be also be an option, although I feel like more of their highest level kids end up on DAP teams, so older teams may not be as strong? I'm also not sure if they have the same amount of ID opportunities, being a more local club. I'd keep your kid right where he is at GPS, if high school soccer is important to him.

Comment

Just as an aside, playing DAP and being committed to one's studies aren't mutually exclusive. Not sure if they have it this year, but on the old USSDA Demosphere club sites, kids used to include their GPA in their roster info. The majority of kids from our club clearly had a commitment to their studies with very high GPAs, along with a commute. That said, if your kid struggles with school, then it might be difficult play DAP, as well.

Comment

My suggestion would be to play other high school sports rather than club soccer if high school is that important to them.

Comment

Just as an aside, playing DAP and being committed to one's studies aren't mutually exclusive. Not sure if they have it this year, but on the old USSDA Demosphere club sites, kids used to include their GPA in their roster info. The majority of kids from our club clearly had a commitment to their studies with very high GPAs, along with a commute. That said, if your kid struggles with school, then it might be difficult play DAP, as well.
                    Self-reported GPAs on the USSDA website aren't the most accurate reflection on course rigor, and academic achievement (and they are not currently posted). For an example of the quality of the non soccer data that is currently on the USSDA website, every single player on the Revolution 17-18s shows hometown of Foxboro, MA.

Comment

I'd look at the particular year. The top team is usually GPS or NEFC. In many cases, much of the top non-DA tends to gravitate to one of these two(of course, also see who the coach is/will be- and it seems like the top coaches at the clubs tend to gravitate to their top teams). I think the top teams were NEFC (U18), GPS (U17), GPS (U16) this year, but I didn't check the standing. Also, all the teams got blown up this year because of the "birth year" change so things may be fluid. Also, not saying GPS isn't connected, but if college soccer is a goal, EK's network of former players/now coaches is pretty impressive in New England.

Comment

If you go by the spring standings, it's NEFC, GPS, NEFC. I recall that both the U16 NEFC and GPS teams were quite good, and they were 1-2 in the standings.

Comment

NEFC will be top dogs going forward with their Revs alliance.

Comment

NEFC will be top dogs going forward with their Revs alliance.
                            You're suggesting they have the best young talent among boys? Too spread out to make that assumption. The best players in the region will move to the Revs regardless of the alliance, bottom line. Revs don't care what corner of the area the kid comes from.

Comment

You're suggesting they have the best young talent among boys? Too spread out to make that assumption. The best players in the region will move to the Revs regardless of the alliance, bottom line. Revs don't care what corner of the area the kid comes from.
                              I'm saying many people I know have transitioned to NEFC at the younger ages in the hope of transitioning to the Revs. I expect that to continue. GPS will lose out on the more talented players at younger ages to clubs like NEFC and Valoe. NEFC is simply larger and better situated than Valeo so they will capture a higher percentage of players.

Comment

I'm saying many people I know have transitioned to NEFC at the younger ages in the hope of transitioning to the Revs. I expect that to continue. GPS will lose out on the more talented players at younger ages to clubs like NEFC and Valoe. NEFC is simply larger and better situated than Valeo so they will capture a higher percentage of players.
                                The largest and the club that casts a wider net in the region is GPS. The Revs "alliance" does not mean a thing. The revs will go out and chase players worth chasing regardless of where they're playing. They can be unattached and just playing on a beach. 100 players or so in the 4 Revs Academy teams and there are 7 NEFC players. That's it. What makes you think the percentage will increase?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X