Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracking the GPS Code

We played against a GPS State Elite team this weekend.

Where does State Elite fall in the GPS pecking order?

Is NPL top or not?

I see Elite teams, but then there are teams just labeled North or South with no Elite attached.

Is a NH Boys Elite team a State Elite team?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Is NPL top or not?

I see Elite teams, but then there are teams just labeled North or South with no Elite attached.

I was wondering what this new "state team" thing meant in the GPS hierarchy too. I get the NEFC, Stars, SSS, and all the other clubs structure, but GPS has me confounded here.

Comment

I was wondering what this new "state team" thing meant in the GPS hierarchy too. I get the NEFC, Stars, SSS, and all the other clubs structure, but GPS has me confounded here.
      I just went to the website. Now they have National Teams, but they have 3 of them(North, South, West). Where do those teams play? How do they practice? What league do they play in?

Comment

Is NPL top or not?

Website showing 1 Region in NH so that wouldn't be a State elite team. Sounds like maybe a second team below NPL? That's a guess though, no knowledge of NH.

Comment

State Elite is a rung below NPL.

Comment

State Elite is a rung below NPL.
            So NPL is the top team?

Comment

From the GPS MA website:

"Our GPS Massachusetts National Premier League (NPL) and State Elite (NEP) teams consist of the best players selected from the nine GPS regions. Teams are formed at birth years 1998-2005 and train at a convenient central location. NPL and State Elite teams compete at the highest levels both regionally and nationally."

Looks like State Elite is a level below NPL, as the poster above mentioned. You can consider GPS NH as just another regional team, same as GPS Metro North, GPS Boston, etc., since there is only the one team in NH.

Comment

From the GPS MA website:

"Our GPS Massachusetts National Premier League (NPL) and State Elite (NEP) teams consist of the best players selected from the nine GPS regions. Teams are formed at birth years 1998-2005 and train at a convenient central location. NPL and State Elite teams compete at the highest levels both regionally and nationally."

Looks like State Elite is a level below NPL, as the poster above mentioned. You can consider GPS NH as just another regional team, same as GPS Metro North, GPS Boston, etc., since there is only the one team in NH.
                For the 2004's which is higher, the NPL team or the USSDA team?

Comment

For the 2004's which is higher, the NPL team or the USSDA team?
                  You really have to ask that question?

USSDA aka DAP or boys academy is the highest youth league in the country

Comment

You really have to ask that question?

USSDA aka DAP or boys academy is the highest youth league in the country
                    Sorry, just trying to figure all of this out. Would the National team be comparable to USSDA?

Comment

Sorry, just trying to figure all of this out. Would the National team be comparable to USSDA?
                      It is essentially an all-star team from multiple states in a given region that trains together and plays in tournaments, not a league.

Comment

GPS just put these teams together after loosing NEP state cup playoffs for national cup. This allowed them to play in regionals for national cup.
                        Just a way to get a second chance at qualifying for national cup.

Comment

In some age group/genders their Elite team plays NPL; in some, they play in NEP. Depends on how good they think they are and what their appropriate level is.

They usually do rate them correctly.

Comment

On the Girls side it appears to me that GPS is mirroring the other big clubs. The labels differ, but the structure is the same. Regionals feed into Two top-level teams
                            NEFC: Many Regional "United" teams feed into "Premier" and "Elite" (now BBA) at the top.
                            Stars: Some regional teams feed teams labelled with league NPL and ECNL
                            GPS: Many Regional "Elite" teams which feed into "State Elite" and NPL

Same structure, but obvious caveat is that GPS top is NPL, which is other's 2nd team.
                            NEFC had it exactly the same as GPS for past few years, but now have BBA affiliation.

In what appears to be a counter to the "our club's top is better than your club's top" GPS has leveraged their presence in multiple US regions - which NEFC and Stars don't have (yet) - to create "National" Teams comprised of their best players across regions to attend national showcase tournaments.

Comment

On the Girls side it appears to me that GPS is mirroring the other big clubs. The labels differ, but the structure is the same. Regionals feed into Two top-level teams
                              NEFC: Many Regional "United" teams feed into "Premier" and "Elite" (now BBA) at the top.
                              Stars: Some regional teams feed teams labelled with league NPL and ECNL
                              GPS: Many Regional "Elite" teams which feed into "State Elite" and NPL

Same structure, but obvious caveat is that GPS top is NPL, which is other's 2nd team.
                              NEFC had it exactly the same as GPS for past few years, but now have BBA affiliation.

In what appears to be a counter to the "our club's top is better than your club's top" GPS has leveraged their presence in multiple US regions - which NEFC and Stars don't have (yet) - to create "National" Teams comprised of their best players across regions to attend national showcase tournaments.
                              Correction in that for 2016-17, NEFC girls top regional teams are now labeled "Elite" while 2nd teams are "United". Top club teams for U13+ are listed as Breakers Academy. U14+ Breakers Academy is ECNL while U13 Breakers Academy is NPL. They haven't updated their website with the new teams/team structure.

There is also some question of the continued role of regional "Premier" teams at U13+ like Premier South. Given that Central Elite U13 girls just beat the Breakers Academy U13 NPL team at the pre-season NEFC tourney, I think the "premier" regional team model is no longer valid.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X