Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The wonderful memories I am building with my children is priceless. I could be spending money on season ticket to watch some pro athlete that could careless about me or spend the money and time with my family.

A college scholarship would only be the icing on the cake but if not we will find a way to pay for college. For the time being I will just enjoy the time I spend with my family and good people like yourselves that support your children's interest.
    Our kid goes off for days or weeks of soccer with the team, and we get time without the kid in a hotel. We pay for both rooms.

Comment

Every once in a while there is some incredibly clear reasoning on TS and this is some of it! Always cracks me up when someone signs up for an entire season of travel soccer (est. cost about $3,500 or so) and then complains about the kit that costs $180. If the kid loves it and you can afford it WITHOUT needing an athletic scholarship then Play On!
      lol thanks that was me. Really the same reasoning goes for any youth activity including any sport, musical instrument, performing arts, whatever. Ultimately it has to come from the child. They have to captain the ship - we just pay for the ship :) that fits into our budget with no pre-determined destination in mind.

Comment

lol thanks that was me. Really the same reasoning goes for any youth activity including any sport, musical instrument, performing arts, whatever. Ultimately it has to come from the child. They have to captain the ship - we just pay for the ship :) that fits into our budget with no pre-determined destination in mind.
        Well said, we know of a family with a daughter that has a dream of being a "preforming artist." The amount of time and money that goes into acting lessons, voice coach, dance, etc. is staggering. Not our cup of tea but far be it for me to judge. If they can pay for it (without it harming her future college plans) and the kid loves it - have at it!

Comment

if their calculation is even half right - it is scary

Comment

Agreed. Please explain how sitting on my butt at home instead of attending soccer practice and games would put money in my kid's college account.
            Sitting on your butt at home explains the situation pretty well. There is another option... called work. You can make money by working and then put that into your kids account.

Comment

Kind of like buying a boat so you can get some free fish.
              Only to realize you didn't catch any fish, because you suck at fishing. Lesson: The ones who really make out are the "boat salesman" Not the fisherman. Cheers

Comment

"How Much You Would Have in a College Savings Account if You saved that amount for 5 years (assuming a return of 5% per year)"

This assumption also undermines the calculator's reliability in my mind...Its been many years since 5% was realistic, and sadly will almost certainly be many years before it is realistic again. Makes me wonder about other assumptions programmed in that we don't see.
                My mutual funds have performed way better than 5% over the long term. If you can't do that, it would explain why your needing a soccer scholarship in the first place.

Comment

Sitting on your butt at home explains the situation pretty well. There is another option... called work. You can make money by working and then put that into your kids account.
                  Most families that can afford travel soccer work full time. Are you suggesting that people should seek part-time jobs for a couple hours a day when they would otherwise be at practice or games? You can't possibly be serious.

Any calculation using "value of your time" in the equation is completely bogus.

Comment

The wonderful memories I am building with my children is priceless. I could be spending money on season ticket to watch some pro athlete that could careless about me or spend the money and time with my family.

A college scholarship would only be the icing on the cake but if not we will find a way to pay for college. For the time being I will just enjoy the time I spend with my family and good people like yourselves that support your children's interest.
                    You can pick 2. 1. college soccer 2. grades 3. social life 4. job without grades you can't have soccer. You just figured out why it sucks. You can play soccer in college without being on the official team anyway and have all 4 of the above if you wish. Or put on the fancy uniform and have mom and dad watch you sit on the bench and watch the foreign kids on full rides play the game. Enjoy your experience of being a college athlete. Is it everything you wanted? ... if so, then why are you living at home with student loans to pay off?

Comment

True Cost= One Arm + One Leg

Comment

You can pick 2. 1. college soccer 2. grades 3. social life 4. job without grades you can't have soccer. You just figured out why it sucks. You can play soccer in college without being on the official team anyway and have all 4 of the above if you wish. Or put on the fancy uniform and have mom and dad watch you sit on the bench and watch the foreign kids on full rides play the game. Enjoy your experience of being a college athlete. Is it everything you wanted? ... if so, then why are you living at home with student loans to pay off?
                        You completely missed the point of the post you quoted. Please work on your reading comprehension and come back when you have something intelligent to share.

Comment

My mutual funds have performed way better than 5% over the long term. If you can't do that, it would explain why your needing a soccer scholarship in the first place.
                          Thanks but i don't need a scholarship to send the kids to college. And i am not gambling with their college money either, sure has hell not in the racket known as the stock market.

In the end (only time will tell), you might be the one that needs the scholarship to send your kids to college.

Comment

You completely missed the point of the post you quoted. Please work on your reading comprehension and come back when you have something intelligent to share.
                            Your an *****holee Is that intelligent enough for you? : )

Comment

Your an *****holee Is that intelligent enough for you? : )
                              That doesn't prove your intelligent. Anyone could have figured that out.

Comment

Rich kid sport AKA pay to play.

We will never be a world class country in football with this system.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X