Uswnt u20

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Futsal is still not "THE" answer. It may help deal some of the "creativity in the mid field" problem some here are so worried about but that game would not have helped solve the reason the U20's actually lost the game against Korea. They lost that game because a midfielder got caught out of position trying to attack and left an Korean player un-marked. In many ways Futsal along with all the training heavily focused on small spaces might actually help create that problem that cost the US that game because at best all it really teaches is 1v1 defending and it certainly doesn't give the players the sense of defending a whole field or the need to be aware of defensive shape even when on the attack which was what was needed to avoid giving up that goal that won the game for Korea. There are a lot of reasons the US came in 4th. Creativity and touch under pressure are definitely in the mix but a bigger problem is a real lack of tactical awareness by many of our young mid fielders which is really an experience type of thing. The actual answer is our young international level players need to play a LOT more international soccer and experience the wide range of styles and the high level execution that is found in these types of competitions. The reality is our most experienced youth level international players still only have a fraction of the number of caps of some of the players on the other international squads.

Comment

I agree. Futsal is not the total answer. It is 1 piece of the puzzle. It improves touch, skills and comfort on the ball. It also teaches a player to strike the ball properly.

If the goal is to improve our national teams, although it seems counter intuitive, we need to focus on improving the play in youth soccer across a broad spectrum beginning at young ages. By the time kids make national teams their abilities and playing personalities are set and tough to change. We need a US version of Spain playing soccer in schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Futsal is still not "THE" answer.
        Who said Futsal was "THE" answer?

Comment

I agree. Futsal is not the total answer. It is 1 piece of the puzzle. It improves touch, skills and comfort on the ball. It also teaches a player to strike the ball properly.

If the goal is to improve our national teams, although it seems counter intuitive, we need to focus on improving the play in youth soccer across a broad spectrum beginning at young ages. By the time kids make national teams their abilities and playing personalities are set and tough to change. We need a US version of Spain playing soccer in schools.
          That would entail changing the whole recreational mindset that drives our youth sports in this country to be more focused on competitive results. Tough to do at this stage with the "everyone gets a trophy" mindset so firmly entrenched.

Comment

Futsal is fine as an added training tool, but it is not the answer.

4v4 is just as effective, on any surface.
            First point, no one made any other argument...other than those criticizing futsal inventing the argument that someone suggested it was some sort of silver bullet.

Second point, if you're stating (or arguing) "just as effective" then you just don't see the benefit in that it is different. If you honestly believe from a development perspective that there's isn't a benefit from that variety, in all of its aspects, then we'll agree to disagree as to the limitations of doing less because "just as effective" is good enough.

I see a lot of coaches around elementary and middle school aged kids with what looks like a "good enough" approach in their development methods. We're not developing well-rounded, skillful, creative players suited to play anywhere, with both feet, in any environment, to meet any challenge. We're developing robotic parts of their coaches' teams, all in a structured, predictable, diluted, and dull environment for 99% of the participants.

Comment

"Elite over-programmed" is a very disturbing statement.
              But, if it's so fun, why no professional league on Sat am telly?
              What is it about futsal that has everybody's knickers in a twist? I get the "no bounce" ball
              Everybody complains when training is held in gyms as opposed to turf facilities-clubs are demonized for not offering or owning their turf. When futsal is free to play, maybe I'll bite.
              Futsal is fine as an added training tool, but it is not the answer. 4v4 is just as effective, on any surface.
              You'll occasionally see high level Futsal matches, but it comes down to money and there isn't a ton of advertising money for niche sports products in this country.

I had my girls team play Futsal one winter instead of regular indoor. The kids loved it and the parents, who had never seen the format, really enjoyed it once they saw how fast paced it was. Never mind the technical improvement Futsal brings, from a culture standpoint, once people get a taste of it, they tend to want to keep doing it. Changing the culture is part of what needs to happen in this country. One of the big complaints you get from lay people about 11v11 soccer is it is boring and the scores are too low. Futsal is the opposite.

Comment

First point, no one made any other argument...other than those criticizing futsal inventing the argument that someone suggested it was some sort of silver bullet.

Second point, if you're stating (or arguing) "just as effective" then you just don't see the benefit in that it is different. If you honestly believe from a development perspective that there's isn't a benefit from that variety, in all of its aspects, then we'll agree to disagree as to the limitations of doing less because "just as effective" is good enough.

I see a lot of coaches around elementary and middle school aged kids with what looks like a "good enough" approach in their development methods. We're not developing well-rounded, skillful, creative players suited to play anywhere, with both feet, in any environment, to meet any challenge. We're developing robotic parts of their coaches' teams, all in a structured, predictable, diluted, and dull environment for 99% of the participants.
                See the issue really is that Futsal is already in use as a development tool and most here are responding to a few people's apparent desire to have it take a more prominent role in the normal development process.

You come across as having almost a religious type element to your thinking. You seem to want to reform everyone's way of thinking. Honestly, when I run across people like you I find myself wondering just how much experience you have because your solutions are a little "pie in the sky". Some of your observations are good but I think that you are wholly unrealistic about what it would take to actually implement them and I don't think the end result will actually be all that different from what we have now.

Comment

You'll occasionally see high level Futsal matches, but it comes down to money and there isn't a ton of advertising money for niche sports products in this country.

I had my girls team play Futsal one winter instead of regular indoor. The kids loved it and the parents, who had never seen the format, really enjoyed it once they saw how fast paced it was. Never mind the technical improvement Futsal brings, from a culture standpoint, once people get a taste of it, they tend to want to keep doing it. Changing the culture is part of what needs to happen in this country. One of the big complaints you get from lay people about 11v11 soccer is it is boring and the scores are too low. Futsal is the opposite.
                  Sounds like a great experience. However, as a developmental tool, is futsal used year-round by all these supposedly advanced soccer countries? If it's so good in developing touch, decision making , speed of play, whatever, why wouldn't it be incorporated year-round?

Comment

See the issue really is that Futsal is already in use as a development tool.
                    Saying that Futsal is already in use as a development tool in any meaningful way is the equivalent of suggesting that the US has a grassroots soccer culture where parents and children alike embrace free play.

Comment

You come across as having almost a religious type element to your thinking. You seem to want to reform everyone's way of thinking. Honestly, when I run across people like you I find myself wondering just how much experience you have because your solutions are a little "pie in the sky". Some of your observations are good but I think that you are wholly unrealistic about what it would take to actually implement them and I don't think the end result will actually be all that different from what we have now.
                      Projection much?

Comment

Sounds like a great experience. However, as a developmental tool, is futsal used year-round by all these supposedly advanced soccer countries? If it's so good in developing touch, decision making , speed of play, whatever, why wouldn't it be incorporated year-round?
                        In many countries it is played year round. My kid was in South America for over a year and players on his 11 a side club team played futsal games a couple days a week on a different team, played pick up futsal or soccer regularly. Many also played for age specific town teams. I saw players aged 6-60 playing.

A South American town or professional club is a very different from typical US club soccer teams. Even Barcelona, a top professional side, has various levels and other sports like basketball and ice hockey to name just 2.

Comment

That would entail changing the whole recreational mindset that drives our youth sports in this country to be more focused on competitive results. Tough to do at this stage with the "everyone gets a trophy" mindset so firmly entrenched.
                          It's actually the opposite. We don't need more cutthroat competition in youth soccer. We just need to provide space and opportunities for kids to play less structured more often. Pickup, futsal, mixed pickup with friends and family, attending and watching professional games, and soccer tennis are all fun and helpful in developing skills, vision and a love of the game.

Comment

It's actually the opposite. We don't need more cutthroat competition in youth soccer. We just need to provide space and opportunities for kids to play less structured more often. Pickup, futsal, mixed pickup with friends and family, attending and watching professional games, and soccer tennis are all fun and helpful in developing skills, vision and a love of the game.
                            If you don't encourage some sort of a competitive drive, why would you expect a young player to put in the sort of work necessary to be good at soccer? A lack of competitive drive is already a serious problem when it comes to developing serious athletes thanks to the "everyone gets a trophy" advocates and your plan to build it through free play type scenarios is just a fantasy. Our society is not going back to kids playing by themselves in the parks so you need to think of a more structured approach if you want any sort of results. This is not the 70's.

Comment

Have you been reading the posters responses? They are presenting much more than free play in the park. And if you have ever watched a first team to 2 futsal or first to 10 basketball pickup session, without coaches, lose and you wait to play, you know how competitive kids get, and how much they don't want to "lose" and let down their buddies. The peer pressure to perform well, with no adult coach to blame is an important factor in building a dedication to the game. (Not the only one)

Comment

If you don't encourage some sort of a competitive drive, why would you expect a young player to put in the sort of work necessary to be good at soccer? A lack of competitive drive is already a serious problem when it comes to developing serious athletes thanks to the "everyone gets a trophy" advocates and your plan to build it through free play type scenarios is just a fantasy. Our society is not going back to kids playing by themselves in the parks so you need to think of a more structured approach if you want any sort of results. This is not the 70's.
                                Let me guess, you think each player's die has been cast by the age of 11?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X