X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Define emotional.

What do you have to do to prepare a mentally tough athlete?

What type of players do you need to let know where they stand? Is it about talent, effort, mistakes? By doing that, does it change anything? Maybe effort, and that can be good and bad.
    So you and I agree. The questions you raise are exactly my point. No one here advocates for abuse, but there are some who apply that word to a coach who simply doesn't recognize nor appreciate the obvious talent that lies within their D.

Comment

Did anyone happen to catch Hammer FC men 98/99 team? What a team they played like Barcelona. They have a couple of players that the Revs could easily look at.

Comment

So you and I agree. The questions you raise are exactly my point. No one here advocates for abuse, but there are some who apply that word to a coach who simply doesn't recognize nor appreciate the obvious talent that lies within their D.
        If you asked me 5 years ago if we'd still be reading equivocation in posts on TS defending the conduct of coaches in club soccer for reasons that don't come across any better than a parent or the coach himself saying "that's how it's always been done" or "the ends justify the means" my answer would have been, "of course we will."

http://www.nscaa.com/web/about/code_...2-4e8ef01cff3d

http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague....de-of-conduct/

http://www.starsofma.org/CodesofConduct/index_E.html

Comment

completely depends on if you are a favorite or not.
          Bingo. Perception of status drives the cognitive bias.

Comment

People don't understand what mental toughness is that's the issue.
            Yeah, that's it for sure.

Comment

Define emotional.

What do you have to do to prepare a mentally tough athlete?

What type of players do you need to let know where they stand? Is it about talent, effort, mistakes? By doing that, does it change anything? Maybe effort, and that can be good and bad.
              So you and I agree. The questions you raise are exactly my point. No one here advocates for abuse, but there are some who apply that word to any coach that simply doesn't recognize nor appreciate the obvious talent that lies within their D.

Comment

So you and I agree. The questions you raise are exactly my point. No one here advocates for abuse, but there are some who apply that word to any coach that simply doesn't recognize nor appreciate the obvious talent that lies within their D.
                Anyone who has watched the man coach though knows full well he's not even close to dishing out tough love and displays less than zero concern for the emotional well being of the kids who play for him. He's a dinosaur that hasn't learned how to separate his personal frustration over winning and losing from the normal coaches frustration over failed learning.

Comment

Emotional coaches, in many cases, place too much stock into winning. It's pretty obvious that with them it's for other selfish reasons, not player development.

Bullying or abusive coaches have an effect on kids. There is a cost playing in that environment. It rubs off on your kid. Win at all cost, dirty or not. I'll take a coach anyday that comes with a plan, stays true to the players giving full effort, focuses on player development and lets the wins and losses fall as they may. That's a club that won't have to spend much on marketing.

Easy SJWs
                  No one is condoning abuse - that's just foolish.
                  The discussion, if there actually is one, is what constitutes abuse?

Take any coach who is emotional, who lets players know where they stand, and who continuously demands excellence from the team. Are they preparing mentally tough athletes who know what it takes to win at the highest level, or are they ruining little girls by crushing their soccer dreams and stepping on their self-confidence?

Abuse can not be tolerated. physical abuse is easy to report. Is there a bright line standard for emotional abuse?

Comment

Emotional coaches, in many cases, place too much stock into winning. It's pretty obvious that with them it's for other selfish reasons, not player development.

Bullying or abusive coaches have an effect on kids. There is a cost playing in that environment. It rubs off on your kid. Win at all cost, dirty or not. I'll take a coach anyday that comes with a plan, stays true to the players giving full effort, focuses on player development and lets the wins and losses fall as they may. That's a club that won't have to spend much on marketing.
                    Bingo!

Comment

Great tournament GPS, THANK YOU! So nice to see good soccer after that awful high school season. Most games were on time and nice to not have to travel too far. Well done running the tournament!
                      Agreed. NEFC parent here. Tournament was excellent. Well run, great facilities, all the games on time. Good competition in the bracket my kid was in. And I am saying even though my kid lost to GPS. Props to them for a job well done.

Comment

The abuse stories are pretty dated. JD has evolved more than many of you realize over the past few years. My kid had a pretty rough weekend, playing wise, but she didn't get ripped apart the way people here might expect. You folks on the outside are not as well-informed as you think you are.
                        Not true-D has friends on 2003 and 2004 ECNL. Said he was sitting on the bench cursing out players on the field to other players on the bench. As recently as last year one parent of an older girl told me he called a teammate the "C" word. Unbelievable. And they pay for that? I think there are many ways to coach mental toughness that do not involve calling teen girls the "C" word.

Comment

Charming?

Confident?

Courageous?

See you next Tuesday.

Comment

Not true-D has friends on 2003 and 2004 ECNL. Said he was sitting on the bench cursing out players on the field to other players on the bench. As recently as last year one parent of an older girl told me he called a teammate the "C" word. Unbelievable. And they pay for that? I think there are many ways to coach mental toughness that do not involve calling teen girls the "C" word.
                            This is a true story, the girl went to one of the local prep schools and when she left his team prior to her U18 year she wrote a paper for a class presentation describing the event and speaking about how he destroyed her love for the game. Her father used to speak about how she needed tough coaching when he moved her to his team but JD took a one time regional pool player and turned her into a kid who clearly did not enjoy soccer any longer that ended up in local D3 program.

Comment

This is a true story, the girl went to one of the local prep schools and when she left his team prior to her U18 year she wrote a paper for a class presentation describing the event and speaking about how he destroyed her love for the game. Her father used to speak about how she needed tough coaching when he moved her to his team but JD took a one time regional pool player and turned her into a kid who clearly did not enjoy soccer any longer that ended up in local D3 program.
                              Spineless wimp! Prob got beat up in hs and now he's gonna show his toughness

Comment

Negativity is not motivation.

Ask and inspire. Not command and control.

Intimidation does not equal high expectations.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X