Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Eastside announced to its parents last week that it will leave the DA program *after* the Spring season. Not because of performance, we were told (we harbor no illusions as to the strength of our teams), but because they believe they can better serve the kids and the club as a whole in the OYSA and RTC/ODP route, and that the DA rules/restrictions were too confining.

They indicated that they believe Eastside will not be the only ones leaving the DA. I assume, as I've read in this thread and/or others I follow, that this is a Timbers Alliance thing. Wouldn't surprise me to see Westside withdraw. Others have already said they will. Will powerhouse WashT as well?
    Highly doubt WashT will leave. Westside - well never really felt like they were part of the program.

Comment

Eastside announced to its parents last week that it will leave the DA program *after* the Spring season. Not because of performance, we were told (we harbor no illusions as to the strength of our teams), but because they believe they can better serve the kids and the club as a whole in the OYSA and RTC/ODP route, and that the DA rules/restrictions were too confining.

They indicated that they believe Eastside will not be the only ones leaving the DA. I assume, as I've read in this thread and/or others I follow, that this is a Timbers Alliance thing. Wouldn't surprise me to see Westside withdraw. Others have already said they will. Will powerhouse WashT as well?
      If other Timbers Clubs pull out the DA in Oregon is dead. You can’t just have BSC, FC Portland and Crossfire all playing each other exclusively. Those clubs would have to petition to play in the Washington DA league, which is probably where Washington Timbers belong anyways.

Comment

If other Timbers Clubs pull out the DA in Oregon is dead. You can’t just have BSC, FC Portland and Crossfire all playing each other exclusively. Those clubs would have to petition to play in the Washington DA league, which is probably where Washington Timbers belong anyways.
        LOL too funny. Eastside and Westside once again first out, leaving other clubs holding the bag.

How many times will this cycle repeat itself?

Comment

As a WT parent, wouldn't surprise me in the least if WT left.

Speaking only for m'self, my thoughts on the "DA rules and restrictions":

1) Substitution rules stink, at least for younger kids. Not because kids can't handle playing 70 minutes (many can), but because one very effective coaching technique is: a) sub out a kid who needs a correction or reminder, b) deliver said correction on the sideline, quietly, and c) sub him back in. With DA rules, once a kid leaves the game, he's done. Pro-style substitution rules are more appropriate for "competitive" soccer (focused on winning) than on "development" soccer. DO like the overall playing time guidelines--the habit of some clubs of giving starters all the PT (other than perhaps at specific fixtures) is unfortunate. If someone isn't good enough to get some run on the field, perhaps they shouldn't be on the development team?

2) Too much fussiness on uniforms, patches, etc. None of this stuff is important.

3) Looser rules for promotion/demotion to/from the B team would also be beneficial. Right now, cutting/demoting a player is permanent--they cannot rejoin the DA until the next season. But "academy style" training is often useful, and the flexibility to migrate borderline players between DA games (where they might be over their heads, but being exposed to the level of competition might be occasionally useful) and B-team games (where they can get lots of run and build confidence) is helpful to many clubs.

4) I don't object to the Gatorade station, but this is a financial hardship for some clubs.

Comment

Bring back the OPL!

Comment

As a WT parent, wouldn't surprise me in the least if WT left.

Speaking only for m'self, my thoughts on the "DA rules and restrictions":

1) Substitution rules stink, at least for younger kids. Not because kids can't handle playing 70 minutes (many can), but because one very effective coaching technique is: a) sub out a kid who needs a correction or reminder, b) deliver said correction on the sideline, quietly, and c) sub him back in. With DA rules, once a kid leaves the game, he's done. Pro-style substitution rules are more appropriate for "competitive" soccer (focused on winning) than on "development" soccer. DO like the overall playing time guidelines--the habit of some clubs of giving starters all the PT (other than perhaps at specific fixtures) is unfortunate. If someone isn't good enough to get some run on the field, perhaps they shouldn't be on the development team?

2) Too much fussiness on uniforms, patches, etc. None of this stuff is important.

3) Looser rules for promotion/demotion to/from the B team would also be beneficial. Right now, cutting/demoting a player is permanent--they cannot rejoin the DA until the next season. But "academy style" training is often useful, and the flexibility to migrate borderline players between DA games (where they might be over their heads, but being exposed to the level of competition might be occasionally useful) and B-team games (where they can get lots of run and build confidence) is helpful to many clubs.

4) I don't object to the Gatorade station, but this is a financial hardship for some clubs.
              On #1 maybe some compromise is in order; however, limiting the substitution (re-entry) dramatically improves flow of game.

Totally agree on #3 - needs to be tweaked.

#2 and #4 - ambivalent about.

Biggest negatives in DA - no natural mechanism for relegating out teams (Eastside is opted to self-relegate I guess, but there should be a mechanism to bring up replacements) and the over the top deemphasis on winning.

Comment

So let Eastside leave.
                The rest who have balls should register in the Washington league like Timbers did thereby making it more of a PAC NW League.

Comment

Curious, did they say anything about GDA? Hearing grumblings they are distancing themselves from it, notwithstanding that Gaff coaches in it.

Comment

So let Eastside leave.
                    The rest who have balls should register in the Washington league like Timbers did thereby making it more of a PAC NW League.
                    Not sure Eastside is leaving due to team quality (or "balls"--the only balls we should be talking about here are soccer balls!).

That said--a combined OR/WA league might be useful IF it were divisionalized, with 3/4 games against "local" teams", and the remainder against teams in the opposite league:

Ignoring that ET is apparently leaving, we would have at OR teams (including WashT), and 8 "Washington" teams. And a 24-game schedule in which there were:

* 16 games in-division. Each team would play each local opponent twice, and two of them three times.
                    * 8 games out-of-division. OR teams would travel north to play WA teams for four games (and if possible, it would be great if the one-game-per-weekend rule could be waived for such trips, so two birds could be killed with one stone), and have four home games against Washington teams.

Comment

Not sure Eastside is leaving due to team quality (or "balls"--the only balls we should be talking about here are soccer balls!).

That said--a combined OR/WA league might be useful IF it were divisionalized, with 3/4 games against "local" teams", and the remainder against teams in the opposite league:

Ignoring that ET is apparently leaving, we would have at OR teams (including WashT), and 8 "Washington" teams. And a 24-game schedule in which there were:

* 16 games in-division. Each team would play each local opponent twice, and two of them three times.
                      * 8 games out-of-division. OR teams would travel north to play WA teams for four games (and if possible, it would be great if the one-game-per-weekend rule could be waived for such trips, so two birds could be killed with one stone), and have four home games against Washington teams.
                      This would make too much sense.

Comment

This would make too much sense.
                        4 Oregon entries would be:
                        Timbers
                        WaTimbers
                        WT Timbers &
                        FC Portland.

If it were going to happen.

Comment

On #1 maybe some compromise is in order; however, limiting the substitution (re-entry) dramatically improves flow of game.

Totally agree on #3 - needs to be tweaked.

#2 and #4 - ambivalent about.

Biggest negatives in DA - no natural mechanism for relegating out teams (Eastside is opted to self-relegate I guess, but there should be a mechanism to bring up replacements) and the over the top deemphasis on winning.
                          BDA has relegated a few clubs over the years but not teams, and I can recall one club leaving on their own. It doesn't happen often, however, and it's always after a long period of probation (during which player development continues to languish). There isn't the volume of clubs or teams to have an effective relegation system - DA would need to be much bigger

Comment

BDA has relegated a few clubs over the years but not teams, and I can recall one club leaving on their own. It doesn't happen often, however, and it's always after a long period of probation (during which player development continues to languish). There isn't the volume of clubs or teams to have an effective relegation system - DA would need to be much bigger
                            DA has less to do with individual teams and more to do with entire clubs.

Club philosophy is the most important. Style of play is more important at 11 years old than winning. This is why Westside is looking to leave. The DA isn’t about winning state cups, Westside is. They evaluate their club based on that alone.

Comment

DA has less to do with individual teams and more to do with entire clubs.

Club philosophy is the most important. Style of play is more important at 11 years old than winning. This is why Westside is looking to leave. The DA isn’t about winning state cups, Westside is. They evaluate their club based on that alone.
                              I don't think the WT comment is entirely true. Westside is good at player development, but considers competitive fixtures an important part of that.

That said, if WT and ET both want out... Is it a good thing for the DA program that the two local clubs who are the best at developing pros are skeptical?

Comment

I don't think the WT comment is entirely true. Westside is good at player development, but considers competitive fixtures an important part of that.

That said, if WT and ET both want out... Is it a good thing for the DA program that the two local clubs who are the best at developing pros are skeptical?
                                No, it definitely is not good. Rumors elsewhere about a few other clubs considering dropping out. The ones I've heard are a mix of good and bad clubs. There aren't that many other good clubs that could fill those spaces, and adding more weak clubs certainly won't help.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X