Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No corners for you

My Kid plays u11 and they never work on corners or set pieces. What gives. We could score so much more

And they never will. No matter the level or club. It's the weirdest thing

Comment

And they don’t practice throw-ins either.

The other weird thing I also notice, is nobody ever practices the coin toss either. I mean every game has one and if you could win the coin toss the game gets easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

The other weird thing I also notice, is nobody ever practices the coin toss either. I mean every game has one and if you could win the coin toss the game gets easier.
        Good call. I am going to start showing up to practice early with my son to practice the coinflip.

Comment

Come on over to da , we work on corners all the time , really important , especially at young ages when they have no idea what to do

Comment

We sick at coin toss always at about 50/50

Comment

We sick at coin toss always at about 50/50
              Referees hate him!! This kid has disrupted a 50/50 coin toss tradition with one simple trick!

Comment

U11s need to work on many other critical skills, especially since most haven't been taught much of anything from the youngest ages. US soccer is forever playing catchup.

Comment

That’s bull****, corners can be worked into any drill. Just because it may not be the main focus doesnt mean you ignore it.

Comment

That’s bull****, corners can be worked into any drill. Just because it may not be the main focus doesnt mean you ignore it.
                    I agree, you should not ignore it. But I think is best at this age to work on the defensive aspect of corners. Marking goal side, don't get caught watching the ball and not the forward in the box. The offensive side is easy and can be taught later.

Just my 2 cents!!

Comment

I agree, you should not ignore it. But I think is best at this age to work on the defensive aspect of corners. Marking goal side, don't get caught watching the ball and not the forward in the box. The offensive side is easy and can be taught later.

Just my 2 cents!!
                      Best worked on once headers are allowed again. It's kind of a waste of time at u11 other than to chase a few wins here and there. The focus should be on development at that age. First touch and passing is a better use of time than corners. Now, perhaps a drill or two before a tournament or something, ok. Who doesn't want to win after all... but more than that is a waste.

Comment

seeing as most goals off corners are scored with a header and you can't head the ball at u11, are you going to start practicing bicycle kicks so your little all star can scored off those corners? teach your kid how to properly pass and trap a ball then maybe you can talk about corners and throw-ins

Comment

Best worked on once headers are allowed again. It's kind of a waste of time at u11 other than to chase a few wins here and there. The focus should be on development at that age. First touch and passing is a better use of time than corners. Now, perhaps a drill or two before a tournament or something, ok. Who doesn't want to win after all... but more than that is a waste.
                          but you just said it right there, these parents are more concerned about winning a tournament at u11 than their kid actually learning the game. I'm sure Bruce worked on set pieces all the time with the national team, and they are really good at them.....See you in Russia

Comment

Practicing Corners go hand in hand with trying to win the game , we are just developing , get with the program !!!

U can practice corners and limit headers for the younger kids , it’s all about creativity, except that will limit the time spent on the robotic drills that will eventually make us a world soccer super power lol

Comment

Practicing Corners go hand in hand with trying to win the game , we are just developing , get with the program !!!

U can practice corners and limit headers for the younger kids , it’s all about creativity, except that will limit the time spent on the robotic drills that will eventually make us a world soccer super power lol
                              If kids can't pass and receive the ball with near certainty then what is the point of practicing corner?

It is better to teach in game crosses that occur far more often and share a majority of actual elements involved in a cross but are far more organic in nature. If forwards can get behind the defense and cross consistently then the corner kicks will be easier later on to teach and far more meaningful.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X