Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Westport...worst parents in all youth sports?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Westport parents + MK coaches = bad combination.

My kids have played Westport travel teams over the years and while i've not seen any violence or threats of violence (which we saw once at a Norwalk game), the language these parents use during the game is by far the worst of any team in FC. Every single call that doesn't go their way is treated like the ref just killed their child. When they lose they say things like "sometimes a crappy team can have a good day" loud enough for all of us to hear. When they win, we hear things like "can't believe the score wasn't higher."

I really do feel bad for the kids. Darien, New Canaan, Greenwich, Old Greenwich are also wealthy towns. These parents are usually well behaved. It's not the money that leads to them being DBags. Something in the water plus MK coaches.
    It's not the coaches. It's the uber competitive nouveau rich parents who know nothing about soccer. The whole town has a chip on their shoulders.

Comment

It's not the coaches. It's the uber competitive nouveau rich parents who know nothing about soccer. The whole town has a chip on their shoulders.
      Not sure about that. Few weeks ago we watched one of their coaches rip apart a young ref. Ref wasn't great and parents were nasty as well but coach should have known better.

Comment

Not sure about that. Few weeks ago we watched one of their coaches rip apart a young ref. Ref wasn't great and parents were nasty as well but coach should have known better.
        This is a different topic but the scenario you describe is why there is a shortage of refs in all sports. I specifically remember games when my kids were playing rec soccer and in sometthing like the 3rd or 4th grade. The refs were often young - middle or high schoolers. I couldn't believe how often parents and coaches would berate them. It was sickening. When my kids moved on to club soccer I thought that the parent behavior would get better but it was often worse.

Comment

This is a different topic but the scenario you describe is why there is a shortage of refs in all sports. I specifically remember games when my kids were playing rec soccer and in sometthing like the 3rd or 4th grade. The refs were often young - middle or high schoolers. I couldn't believe how often parents and coaches would berate them. It was sickening. When my kids moved on to club soccer I thought that the parent behavior would get better but it was often worse.
          Yup. Rude and angry parents and caoches is why my kid stopped coaching uLittles. We had one coach berate my kid for reffing because his team lost 10-0. That loss had nothing to do with the ref and the fact that 10 goals were scored against zero points to bigger issues in the league.

Comment

Yup. Rude and angry parents and caoches is why my kid stopped coaching uLittles. We had one coach berate my kid for reffing because his team lost 10-0. That loss had nothing to do with the ref and the fact that 10 goals were scored against zero points to bigger issues in the league.
            Huh? Was he coaching or reffing?

Comment

Huh? Was he coaching or reffing?
              My kid was reffing. The coach berated my kid because the coach's team lost 10-0.

Comment

My kid was reffing. The coach berated my kid because the coach's team lost 10-0.
                Got it. You had mentioned he stopped coaching ulittles. It’s a shame, I’ve seen horrible treatment of young refs (and adult refs) over the years. Some refs are clearly not qualified, but most are pretty capable and do a nice job, regardless, none deserve to be treated poorly.

Comment

Got it. You had mentioned he stopped coaching ulittles. It’s a shame, I’ve seen horrible treatment of young refs (and adult refs) over the years. Some refs are clearly not qualified, but most are pretty capable and do a nice job, regardless, none deserve to be treated poorly.
                  My bad. I meant, my kid stopped reffing uLittles. My kid did do some coaching, too (was goalie on premier and h.s. team), but stopped that also.

Comment

We also were at a Westpor game a few weeks ago that was insane. Our youngest is 10 and not much of a player but he loves it and is on a travel team with his friends. Its DEFINITELY not the A team but who cares. We played a Westport B or C team. It was a fun game but as soon as we scored a goal, it got real nasty for the ref.

Poor kid was probably 14 or 15. It started with the Westport kids showing him no respect but the parents and coaches piled on. The Westport kids were playing nasty and each time he called a foul everyone went crazy. There was a nice old guy who was a linesman who ran over to him after the game and probably told him to keep his head up but I predict, this boy will never ref again.

My son once said that when he gets a bit older he wanted to be a ref because he didn't think he would play premier like his brothers. I thought it was a good idea. Based on what I saw a few weeks ago - no way! At least I won't let him ref in Westport.

Comment

We also were at a Westpor game a few weeks ago that was insane. Our youngest is 10 and not much of a player but he loves it and is on a travel team with his friends. Its DEFINITELY not the A team but who cares. We played a Westport B or C team. It was a fun game but as soon as we scored a goal, it got real nasty for the ref.

Poor kid was probably 14 or 15. It started with the Westport kids showing him no respect but the parents and coaches piled on. The Westport kids were playing nasty and each time he called a foul everyone went crazy. There was a nice old guy who was a linesman who ran over to him after the game and probably told him to keep his head up but I predict, this boy will never ref again.

My son once said that when he gets a bit older he wanted to be a ref because he didn't think he would play premier like his brothers. I thought it was a good idea. Based on what I saw a few weeks ago - no way! At least I won't let him ref in Westport.
                      It's the Westport snowplow parents trying to increase the chances of their progeny

Was it at that crappy Coleytown Middle School field which is shot, narrow and full of bumps

Comment

My bad. I meant, my kid stopped reffing uLittles. My kid did do some coaching, too (was goalie on premier and h.s. team), but stopped that also.
                        it was the same with my kid (HS player reffing for Ulittle in-town and travel). He got to the point where the comments and attitude from parents made him reach the conclusion that the money wasn't worth the hassle anymore and he walked away. It's unbelievable what some of the parents will yell out (and this is even for in-town games, which is totally mind blowing that anyone would get cranked up about the outcome of a red vs purple game)

Comment

it was the same with my kid (HS player reffing for Ulittle in-town and travel). He got to the point where the comments and attitude from parents made him reach the conclusion that the money wasn't worth the hassle anymore and he walked away. It's unbelievable what some of the parents will yell out (and this is even for in-town games, which is totally mind blowing that anyone would get cranked up about the outcome of a red vs purple game)
                          Parental conduct at some places is worse than ever. Many of today's parents appear more bold, more entitled than in the past. It is a serious issue.

Comment

Parental conduct at some places is worse than ever. Many of today's parents appear more bold, more entitled than in the past. It is a serious issue.
                            Well the stakes are high. Seen copies of these tax bills lately? I have no idea how or why school sports became such an extreme time and money consuming proposition but here we are. If we want less attention and importance given to school sports, lets not overspend so heavily on them. People are concerned with where and why so much money is going to fund school sports.

Comment

Has a parent yelling at a ref ever helped? That's why I find it so bizarre. You're berating a 15 year old to little or no gain. ***

Comment

Its ridiculous the fans ride the hometown refs because it’s kids from the community.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X