Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My daughter did play for CU from U8 - U11. They do take players from outside of the club for CUP. But they also show favoritism to certain families. I do get a kick out of seeing "lower" CU teams beat the top teams. There are several CUP Gold teams that thrive and now they have North I. Unless your child can make Gold (some age groups Black) or the top CUP I team for 05 and younger, there is no point in paying the extra $$$$. The 2nd, third and sometimes even 4th CUP teams are not playing at any higher of a level than the top two teams at smaller clubs. It is about finding the team that will develop your player the best. Playing at a club solely for the name is not a smart move.

We left CU because of the age group shake up; a few were playing CUP, a few were going to CUSE, CULM and CU SYC/Mason wasn't going to have a team. We went to tryouts for other clubs to see what was out there. My daughter thrives at her new club and is enjoying soccer again. I know several parents who removed themselves from the CUP cult and their children are happy playing the sport again.
    You're 100% accurate in stating "It is about finding the team that will develop your player the best." I might also add "find(ing) a team (or club) where your child is happy." A happy kid will almost always play better and will look forward to going to training and games. In short, they'll be a better player.

I don't know what your new kid's club is but you've got to keep in mind that while a kid may initially be happy at a club, that can change. Plenty of kids are happy at CU/CUP, others hate it. The same is true for Kings Hammer, Ohio Elite, Warren County, or any other club. Monitor your kid closely. Ask questions. If your kids are like mine are, you'll pretty easily be able to determine if they're having a good time or not. However, two of my kids read like a book while the other one reads like a novel with a few twists. I think I have her figured out but there is a hidden story. That is where the talking comes in.

You did mention the "CUP cult." Just be aware that there is also an Ohio Elite cult, Kings Hammer cult, etc. Most kids will immediately love the new club. After the "honeymoon period" is over, new problems might emerge. OE is a good example. Many love the club. There is a certain DOC there that has the initials of "Doug Bracken." Doug will kiss up to kids that he is trying to court from other clubs while not always taking care of what he has. He'll make promises of playing time, ID2 camps, ECNL events, etc, just to get a kid to move to OE. He is also known for propping players up that don't deserve it. This is seen as his players not always being the most successful in college. He's had some success stories but often his players don't transition well beyond HS. He isn't a great trainer, doesn't know the game nearly as well as he thinks he does, and college coaches don't necessarily care for him. They find him to be arrogant, abrasive, and, in general, a *****. If you are at OE, be aware of that and good luck. If he likes a kid and the parents, he'll bend over backward to help them whether they deserve it or not. If he doesn't like a kid or the parents, he'll crap on them whether they deserve it or not. There are others at other clubs, though, that are similar to Doug. Doug, though, just isn't a standard-bearer for the game. He isn't a great ambassador for the sport.

Note: we had a good experience but I've seen many that were treated poorly.

QUOTE=Unregistered;2120278]Well, now it's not just about CUP. Both, girls and boys sides got DA now, so on top of CUP, now there're DA teams, which attracts even more players. It is pretty much a monopoly for CU/CUP here, as every child who can play ends up with them sooner or later. Good or bad, I don't know.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that CU/CUP has a monopoly. There is also Kings Hammer and Ohio Elite. Both clubs are big enough to make an impact. CU/CUP and KHA are now somewhat "married", though, with the Academy partnership.

Any kid and the family, going to any club, needs to do due diligence. KNow what you're getting into.

Comment

^^ I totally agree about Doug Bracken. He's hurt as many kid's playing careers as he has helped. Perhaps even more. He's a piece of work.

Comment

I don't know anything about OE besides that they arguably have a very strong girls program. Why arguably? Well, I think it's because of the CUP/KHA partnership in the GDA. Not sure how many girls left OE because of the GDA opportunity. I know OE has a "thing" against DA, since they had the DA awhile back and lost it.

For the boys though, I strongly disagree... CU/CUP holds the monopoly in the boy's world. Nearly all talented boys end up with CUP and now DA. Who else has a strong boys program all around in this area? I can't think of anyone else, but CUP.

I am not a fan boy, actually the opposite - I, personally, do not like what CUP is doing to boys soccer in the area, but what other options are out there. Not many if you ask me.

Comment

CUP's GDA experiment is paying off. They're burying Ohio Elite. OE is on life support and will be non-existent within 5 years. Poor Tiny Tim and Douche Bag Doug.

Comment

Bda

The problem with boys DA is that it's limited age wise.We need it offered to all ages like the GDA.There is a lot of boys talent out there and it would more attractive if the ages weren't so limited.

Comment

CUP's GDA experiment is paying off. They're burying Ohio Elite. OE is on life support and will be non-existent within 5 years. Poor Tiny Tim and Douche Bag Doug.
              Hawks gone, eclipse likely to follow... GDA not looking so sweet this morning.

Comment

Cup boys da

Sorry to break it to you, but cup boys da is a joke.
                Let’s take a look

U12 struggled throughout the year, cup coaches see no fault of their own, abolish development and only looking to replace instead of developing.

U13 did just ok, average at best, mostly used as a carrot to u12 to play up, boring to watch. Again, average at best.

U14 has 1 (ONE, Carl!!!) good player who scored 90% of the goals. Whatcha going to do if he goes or gets injured (knocking on wood). No development in other players.

There is also favoritism, which I guess is universal, but some moves by coaching staff (Scott Bower et al), ate just mind numbing.

There will be a lot of upset adults if and when FC Cincinnati takes over and cuts the bs out.

Comment

Sorry to break it to you, but cup boys da is a joke.
                  Let’s take a look

U12 struggled throughout the year, cup coaches see no fault of their own, abolish development and only looking to replace instead of developing.

U13 did just ok, average at best, mostly used as a carrot to u12 to play up, boring to watch. Again, average at best.

U14 has 1 (ONE, Carl!!!) good player who scored 90% of the goals. Whatcha going to do if he goes or gets injured (knocking on wood). No development in other players.

There is also favoritism, which I guess is universal, but some moves by coaching staff (Scott Bower et al), ate just mind numbing.

There will be a lot of upset adults if and when FC Cincinnati takes over and cuts the bs out.
                  I agree - cu/cup is not the place to be. So what are the alternatives in the greater Cincinnati area?

Comment

I agree - cu/cup is not the place to be. So what are the alternatives in the greater Cincinnati area?
                    Just find a good trainer that's going to teach the game well and, particularly at the young ages, builds technical skills.

Ohio Elite sucks at the young ages. Unfortunately Doug Bracken is a huge dickhead so if you're a girl, and you know he'll be your coach at the older ages, it would be wise to steer clear. He will help girls that he likes get noticed but doesn't necessarily teach them the game all that well since he doesn't know it that well himself. If he doesn't like a player he'll screw that player over in any way possible. It's just best to stay away.

It's unfortunate that the Cincinnati youth soccer clubs are less than desirable because there is a lot of talent in the city in spite of the lame clubs.

Comment

Sporting Queen City

On the girls side in the Cincy area Sporting Queen City is doing well. Good organization or teams and contact. Work to play possession soccer.

Comment

this past weekend, CUP North 1 2010 lost to GTFC 2010 premier 7 to 1 according to Ohio Soccer league schedule. Is that correct?

Comment

looks like CUP won a national championship against Ginga CT. Woot Woot!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X