Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Bad analogy...thousands of families aren't paying Upwards of $5,000 a year for Duke to pretend they care, lol.
    It’s an interesting debate. Player development vs team or “product”. For the business to survive, a balance needs to be struck, but who has the patience and/or money to ride out the transition year(s). I wonder how many parents actually think their kid is NT material.

Comment

Bad analogy...thousands of families aren't paying Upwards of $5,000 a year for Duke to pretend they care, lol.
      Are you serious? so the parent paying 5k per year to another league like the ECNL is doing that for ...? You are paying money to improve. If you are doing it for any other reason you are a fool. This whole USSF dont care is nonsense. The YNT selectors care about the best players. The Clubs who form the league care about their customers. if they dont, then find a Club that does.

its a tired narrative to suggest any different. All leagues have bad Clubs in them and by bad i mean poorly run. results are the measure blind parents use to asses a club. look deeper. thats where your relationship is. its not with the USSF.

The USSF relationships are with the member Clubs. That is what needs to improve. If you told me that the USSF does not care about the Clubs, then i would listen. I would ask you to explain. I think there is some validity to that argument. The USSF do not realize how challenging implementation is in the current environment.

The care about the players things is just mis-information. get good, then you will actually interact more with the USSF.

Comment

It’s an interesting debate. Player development vs team or “product”. For the business to survive, a balance needs to be struck, but who has the patience and/or money to ride out the transition year(s). I wonder how many parents actually think their kid is NT material.
        this is also a question i see a lot but dont understand. What is NT material? most NT players become NT level in College as their growth, improvement and development continues. Why would any league be set up for NT material only? no league in the world is.

The GDA relies on a member Clubs ability to attract talent. The biggest mistake t date by the USSF is to market themselves even mentioning YNTs and NTs. Thats a stupid approach. They should be marketing the leagues advantages. If its a better product, over time it will produce better players and those players will be successful down the line , in College, the NWSL or even on NTs. By mentioning NTs NOW , they have allowed the line of commentary about

1. GDA is for NT players only
        2. GDA only care about NT level players
        3. Parents are delusional if they think their kid is NT level ie playing in the GDA
        4. GDA is not about College

all of which are pure nonsense

Comment

this is also a question i see a lot but dont understand. What is NT material? most NT players become NT level in College as their growth, improvement and development continues. Why would any league be set up for NT material only? no league in the world is.

The GDA relies on a member Clubs ability to attract talent. The biggest mistake t date by the USSF is to market themselves even mentioning YNTs and NTs. Thats a stupid approach. They should be marketing the leagues advantages. If its a better product, over time it will produce better players and those players will be successful down the line , in College, the NWSL or even on NTs. By mentioning NTs NOW , they have allowed the line of commentary about

3. Parents are delusional if they think their kid is NT level ie playing in the GDA

Great points. We hear from leadership the NT player is a unicorn, essentially. But, the college exposure (no guarantee about levels or scholarships) and the advanced training is what it is about.

Comment

The ECNL marketed themselves that way for years. Maybe the ECNl and ussf actually though this marketing line was effective when it was really just that there were not a lot of other options.There was no competition to the ECNL so they got lots of the monied talent and sent a lot to Youth NTs.

Now that there are competing leagues and clubs for the top talent with money, it is much more spread out and the clubs are realizing that the spiel about NT access is not really that effective. They need to stress what they offer regarding coaching , cost, travel, competitive level, roster size, playing time, etc. because that is really what the customers care about. Very few customers have any innate loyalty to one or the other of these organizations.

Comment

Great points. We hear from leadership the NT player is a unicorn, essentially. But, the college exposure (no guarantee about levels or scholarships) and the advanced training is what it is about.
              Ty. this is why implementation of the GDA is going to be such a challenge. the people it is being marketed to ( parents) have their perceptions manipulated by which team wins or loses TODAY. Because they are mostly non soccer people, they have no idea about long vs short term issues. Almost every move they make is short term and knee jerk based on a set of priorities that dont seem to include actually analyzing if their approach will make their child better.

Most Clubs do not have any incentive to tell you the truth so you have to know what you want out of it. They want your money. What do you want in return ? and if you say

1. I want to play on the NT
              2. I want to get into a good College
              3. I want to play with friends
              4. i want to be a leader

you can accomplish all those things whichever path you choose IF you focus on getting better. if you select a path thinking that path is the gateway to any of these, you are sorely mistaken.

League supremacy is a total diversionary tactic. Designed to market to parents who have not done their homework. watching these leagues "claim" successful kids is so laughable. The kids/families put in the work. Most of them would be successful no matter the badge and almost all of them had MULTIPLE coaches, clubs mentors and influences on them.

Do not fall for it

Comment

The ECNL marketed themselves that way for years. Maybe the ECNl and ussf actually though this marketing line was effective when it was really just that there were not a lot of other options.There was no competition to the ECNL so they got lots of the monied talent and sent a lot to Youth NTs.

Now that there are competing leagues and clubs for the top talent with money, it is much more spread out and the clubs are realizing that the spiel about NT access is not really that effective. They need to stress what they offer regarding coaching , cost, travel, competitive level, roster size, playing time, etc. because that is really what the customers care about. Very few customers have any innate loyalty to one or the other of these organizations.
                The USSF are not setting costs.

Comment

The USSF are not setting costs.
                  I meant the clubs. The player is a customer of the club much more so than the league.

Comment

I meant the clubs. The player is a customer of the club much more so than the league.

right, but Clubs have no incentive to reduce costs.

Comment

right, but Clubs have no incentive to reduce costs.
                      Not attracting enough customers is not incentive?

Comment

Not attracting enough customers is not incentive?
                        how many ECNL or GDA Clubs are not close full ? And if they are not, is cost the reason why ? ?

Comment

how many ECNL or GDA Clubs are not close full ? And if they are not, is cost the reason why ? ?
                          I have no idea. I run a very different type of business. But a soccer business or any other business needs customers to survive and the costs to the cusomer for your product or service are a critical part of that calculation.

Comment

I think the only ones that are hurting are the ones formed at the last minute. There are always willing idiots with cash. But when you attempt to form teams after most other clubs have locked up their players you are going to have issues.

Comment

I think the only ones that are hurting are the ones formed at the last minute. There are always willing idiots with cash. But when you attempt to form teams after most other clubs have locked up their players you are going to have issues.
                              exactly. Cost is not the issue. They have customers, thats part of the problem. there is no incentive to actually compete. Plenty of $$ for all. No need to improve quality

Comment

exactly. Cost is not the issue. They have customers, thats part of the problem. there is no incentive to actually compete. Plenty of $$ for all. No need to improve quality
                                Why is that a problem? There is value is providing something that people want to buy. If there was anything financially valuable about gathering talented players together to win youth soccer games then it would happen. But that is not where the financial incentive is. The system is driven by parents with kids for whom they want to buy soccer lessons, or piano lessons, or math lessons or whatever it is.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X