Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Contracts

My daughters coach wants us to sign a contract early. We want to test the water to see if she could make a better team in what we think is a higher league. We do not want to sign but the coach said if you do not sign, don't bother coming to tryouts. We will fill your spot with somebody who will sign. What should we do.

Run to the nearest exit

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
      my daughters coach wants us to sign a contract early. We want to test the water to see if she could make a better team in what we think is a higher league. We do not want to sign but the coach said if you do not sign, don't bother coming to tryouts. We will fill your spot with somebody who will sign. What should we do.
      leave....

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Run to the nearest exit
        Exactly. My kids club will give out early contracts, so don't be scared off by that. It's the clubs way of saying that we already want you on the team, but to tell you not to bother coming to try outs is a big red flag.

Comment

We got an early contact also but are interested in another club too. The coach did not make an ultimatum like yours but if we don't sign what message does that send to the coach. Will we still have a spot if we don't sign now and decide to stay after tryouts. Anybody have any experience with this situation. It is really make me and daughter feel awkward because she too wants to see if she can make a better team in our opinion.

Comment

We got an early contact also but are interested in another club too. The coach did not make an ultimatum like yours but if we don't sign what message does that send to the coach. Will we still have a spot if we don't sign now and decide to stay after tryouts. Anybody have any experience with this situation. It is really make me and daughter feel awkward because she too wants to see if she can make a better team in our opinion.
            They will wait if they want your daughter, do not sign yet and go to the other tryout and go to one of the tryouts of the team she is on. This happens every year to clubs they know kids want to test the waters it will not hurt her chance of making the team that already offered you a spot.

Comment

Why don't you just come clean and tell us why you started the thread instead of pretending to be more than one poster?

Comment

Why don't you just come clean and tell us why you started the thread instead of pretending to be more than one poster?
                Stars parent

Comment

How does a thread with a real question become something else. Did not mention team or club. Just wanted advice on how to deal with early contract. Thanks for the advice. I will just ask the coach what will happen if we hold off on signing the contract and wait until after try-outs. Sorry to waste everybody's time.

Comment

My daughters coach wants us to sign a contract early. We want to test the water to see if she could make a better team in what we think is a higher league. We do not want to sign but the coach said if you do not sign, don't bother coming to tryouts. We will fill your spot with somebody who will sign. What should we do.
                    Personally, I see it as "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". Your daughter is in the top half 2/3 of her current team. That's her coaches evaluation and why he is offering her a spot. So you need to evaluate where do you honestly see your daughter in the pecking order of the team. Is she one of the top 3 players on the team? If not, going to another situation is somewhat of a crapshoot. Top teams are only looking for studs. If your player is a good player but not in those top 3, then it is very unlikely that she will supplant a player already on that team. Unless this is a brand new team or unless your child is at the youngest age group, the way tryouts work at every club is they are looking to fill 3-5 spots with upgrades. If you are going into tryouts thinking they are starting from scratch and there are 18 spots up for grab, it just isn't the case.

I have a few questions to ask in order to provide you the best answers:
                    - What age group? If over 14 or 15 it is tough to get onto a top team.
                    - Why do you want to test the waters?
                    - Have you practiced with any of the teams you want to go to tryout for already? If not going into a tryout cold is a big mistake, especially if you have "bird in the hand". You could end up with nothing or your kid could end up in a worse situation.
                    - Ultimatum aside, are you happy with the coach? Most important factor. Does the coach teach your kid and does she like him. If yes, stay.
                    - Does your daughter like her teammates? Second most important factor. The kid needs to have fun!!!
                    - Do you like the other parents on the team?

Comment

Run to the nearest exit
                      Go ahead.
                      We think you are a solid member of our team and would like to have you continue to play, but feel free to jack us around by going to other tryouts.
                      Don't let the screen door hit ya.

Comment

If they absolutely require that you sign in advance, then you should sign. Just don't pay yet. You can always back out if something better comes along. It's less than ideal, but they give you no other choice so they are running this risk of you walking away.

Comment

U14
                          Have had different coach for last 2 years. Neither coach has been good for my daughters development or team.
                          No, we are worried that somebody might say something to the team or coach.
                          Not the current coach and not sure if he is coming back.
                          Yes, this is the biggest problem but friendships will not make my daughter better.
                          Most but not all

Comment

U14
                            Have had different coach for last 2 years. Neither coach has been good for my daughters development or team.
                            No, we are worried that somebody might say something to the team or coach.
                            Not the current coach and not sure if he is coming back.
                            Yes, this is the biggest problem but friendships will not make my daughter better.
                            Most but not all
                            Given your answers... U14 is a little old. There is some movement though. Where do you feel your daughter ranks honestly? Is she in the top 3 on her team? If so, send emails to the coaches of the teams you are looking to tryout for TODAY and get her in a practice this week or next. If the coach isn't seeing her until the day of tryouts, it is a big gamble. If you honestly don't see your child in the top 3 on her team, you should take the offer.

Comment

I would say top 6. Might be undervaluing her because she does not play the same position as players I think are better. She starts and plays entire game at center back.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X