Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do dual sport Spring HS athletes play club?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    But the team I'm complaining about is in the top 5 and still has this issue. Not a D2 maple team. A top 5 in the state team.
    Unfortunately unless your daughter is strong enough to make the top 2/3 teams it's going to be an issue at any team. My d's team is in the 7/8 range and 90% of the players play a spring sport. It means that we have about 75% of the players there for practice and had 4 starters injured as the season ended. My D isn't strong enough to make the top two teams so it is what it is.

Comment

Agreed. Which is why teams 3-10 in the state are interchangeable and why Mass soccer is so watered down. Maybe some DOC will have the balls to change it someday.

Comment

But the team I'm complaining about is in the top 5 and still has this issue. Not a D2 maple team. A top 5 in the state team.
        New to thread but I'm sure others have said what I will - talk with the coach or move! You're the consumer. Chalk it up to a bad fit and move on

HS aged teams are always going to be tough because of all the reasons you'd think (multi-sports, academics, part time jobs, college trips, other activities). I think it's going to be tough to get teens to be totally focused on one sport unless its the top of the pyramid.

Comment

New to thread but I'm sure others have said what I will - talk with the coach or move! You're the consumer. Chalk it up to a bad fit and move on

HS aged teams are always going to be tough because of all the reasons you'd think (multi-sports, academics, part time jobs, college trips, other activities). I think it's going to be tough to get teens to be totally focused on one sport unless its the top of the pyramid.
          Not to sound defeatist but I know parents and players on nearly every one of the top 10 teams in the GU16 age group and with the exception of Stars ECNL and NEFC NPL, every single team faces this issue.

Comment

Not to sound defeatist but I know parents and players on nearly every one of the top 10 teams in the GU16 age group and with the exception of Stars ECNL and NEFC NPL, every single team faces this issue.
            In fairness to HS girls - they won't be pros. This isn't a career path for them. They should be enjoying HS while also learning to balance commitments, school work, friends etc. Also the pressure is intense to fill their college resumes with mutiple activities and accomplishments. Of the tens of thousands playing soccer only a tiny portion have the skills and drive to turn it into a career. Add a coach who sends mixed messages about commitment and there will be attendance issues.

Comment

Fail. She has already graduated SCL from a good school. She had same roomates for 4 years and still lives with one of them. At work? She's the boss.

The dynamics of club at U15 and up changes. Unless you are on a top tier team the teams are more about continuing to play. My daughter played 2nd division MAPLE and her coach encouraged all the players to continue with their spring sports. 18 girls on the roster and most games there were 14 to 15. He ran practices two nights a week and most kids made at least one. About half the players went on to play D3 college soccer for at least a few years. It was fine. Nobody got hurt and everybody understood the format going in. Clearly this would not work for the Stars or the like but aside from the top few teams HS club soccer is nothing more than about training, a higher level of play than most HS, and maintaining soccer bonds and friendships beyond the HS team.
              What a joker. Still on TS when he has a college grad "who is the boss". Hey dippy get a life.

Comment

In fairness to HS girls - they won't be pros. This isn't a career path for them. They should be enjoying HS while also learning to balance commitments, school work, friends etc. Also the pressure is intense to fill their college resumes with mutiple activities and accomplishments. Of the tens of thousands playing soccer only a tiny portion have the skills and drive to turn it into a career. Add a coach who sends mixed messages about commitment and there will be attendance issues.
                No one was talking about going pro. The discussion was on commitment. You don't "balance" commitments by making two sport commitments in the same season. That's going into the situation knowing one or the other is going to get boned at various times in the season. Agree with the coaches sending mixed messages though.

Comment

No one was talking about going pro. The discussion was on commitment. You don't "balance" commitments by making two sport commitments in the same season. That's going into the situation knowing one or the other is going to get boned at various times in the season. Agree with the coaches sending mixed messages though.
                  Not the OP but I agree that it's unlikely to change. The drive has to come from within. It will be tough to instill when players receive so many mixed cultural messages. If a coach wants commitment but says it with a wink wink issues will arise.

Comment

Okay, coach. Soccer is more important to you (your profession) than it is to some of us (a kid's extracurricular activity). What if the conflict is not another sport? What if it's a play, musical, or an art exhibit? What if it's volunteering at a local hospital or soup kitchen? What if the conflict is SAT's, AP exams or preparation for same? Do all kids have to choose a single, never-to-be-missed extracurricular activity so that we're not insulting one hard-working professional or another? It seems that you take your profession seriously, and that's to be respected. But isn't dealing with team construction, conflict management, etc. part of your job?
                    The only excuse that's valid is a solid academic commitment such as an NHS event, AP exam, SATs or finals. A play, musical, art exhibit, or other extra curricular activity (with the exception of possibly immediate family MAJOR life events) are choices. And choices to participate in those knowing there will be regular conflicts with your club season would not be acceptable.

Comment

The only excuse that's valid is a solid academic commitment such as an NHS event, AP exam, SATs or finals. A play, musical, art exhibit, or other extra curricular activity (with the exception of possibly immediate family MAJOR life events) are choices. And choices to participate in those knowing there will be regular conflicts with your club season would not be acceptable.
                      It's acceptable if the coach lets it happen. Since you can't seem to let this go you really should move your kid to another club that fits what you're looking for.

Comment

There are indeed kids on NEFC elite and central united who do high school sport concurrently. And yes it is too much, injured unable to compete (for the high school sport anyway). So it goes both ways. What about the high school where they need an athlete to earn points and they are out with overuse injury because of club soccer? Are these posts coming from a coach or a parent? Seems like it is a coach...Club soccer is a business and your coach is trying to maximize his earning potential. Bottom line.

Comment

There are indeed kids on NEFC elite and central united who do high school sport concurrently. And yes it is too much, injured unable to compete (for the high school sport anyway). So it goes both ways. What about the high school where they need an athlete to earn points and they are out with overuse injury because of club soccer? Are these posts coming from a coach or a parent? Seems like it is a coach...Club soccer is a business and your coach is trying to maximize his earning potential. Bottom line.
                          I actually think it is a parent of a bench player who is 100% committed and parents are upset because one of the stars on the team has multiple commitments and still starts. Early on it looked like a generic post about a non descript MAPLE club. Then it comes out that it is a Top 5 team. That is a WHOLE different donut.

Comment

I actually think it is a parent of a bench player who is 100% committed and parents are upset because one of the stars on the team has multiple commitments and still starts. Early on it looked like a generic post about a non descript MAPLE club. Then it comes out that it is a Top 5 team. That is a WHOLE different donut.
                            That was my take as well. Upset that his bench player gets less PT than the starters who sometimes miss a practice here or there. No coach at a very high level would tolerate regular skips without consequences so his perception of the offenders I think is overblown - unless it's a lower level team where they'll cut the best kids more slack because they are needed more.

A coach who is frustrated about conflicts has a choice - don't play the players who miss. Coach is in the driving seat. Of course if they only care about winning then they have created their own monster and have to learn how to tame it

Comment

That was my take as well. Upset that his bench player gets less PT than the starters who sometimes miss a practice here or there. No coach at a very high level would tolerate regular skips without consequences so his perception of the offenders I think is overblown - unless it's a lower level team where they'll cut the best kids more slack because they are needed more.

A coach who is frustrated about conflicts has a choice - don't play the players who miss. Coach is in the driving seat. Of course if they only care about winning then they have created their own monster and have to learn how to tame it
                              The unfortunate reality is that the top 3-4 players on a time operate by a different set of rules. The benefits of stardom. Think it is bad at club soccer? What till college and then if lucky see if Tom Brady has the same rules as say Brandon Spikes.

Comment

Think its some random person with a random issue pretending to be someone else. Pretty much like everyone on Talking Soccer. Playing the guessing game is stupid. Same as it's stupid to accuse every other poster of being BTDT.

There were numerous different parents posting on this thread and I know this because I am the OP. Or am I not?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X