Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    No its not a perfect country but all of this rhetoric is doing is dividing it into super angry groups that eventually are going to come to blows if we keep on this path. The bottom line is who cares what your race is or your sexual preference is if you are a nice PERSON? Can't anyone see that the idea that we should celebrate being nasty (what I have always thought a beatch to be) and a selfish person (what I have always thought of people who are overly invested in THEIR personal identity) is as much a part of problem as anything. Hate is the actual problem not uneasiness with differences. We all fear what we don't know or understand. That is a very different feeling than the sort of hate that fuels true racism or bigotry. If we all can't see that our country is being incited towards violence god help us.
    This rhetoric is not dividing this country. A vast majority of Americans degree with progressive thinking. It's just those conservative bigots who blow up the media making the general public believe there's this huge gap in thinking between the masses when in fact most Americans are leaning towards the liberal end of the spectrum.

Comment

Understand that socio-economic status is very contingent and coherent with race. Yes there are white kids who have had the same exact upbringing and I'm not denying that but looking purely at numbers, there are much fewer "white kids" who have had the same upbringing as those of minority ethnicity. Furthermore, there are MANY resources and initiatives to help these "white kids" out in impoverished areas. I've done the research and I suggest for you to do the same.
      Just as I thought. White guilt, self hating American. The liberal dream voter!

The best part is that you have no idea how racist your statement is. It would be amusing if it were not so sad. Here is some research homework for you. Go hang out in the housing projects in South Boston. Get back to me on all of the resources available to those kids.

Comment

This rhetoric is not dividing this country. A vast majority of Americans degree with progressive thinking. It's just those conservative bigots who blow up the media making the general public believe there's this huge gap in thinking between the masses when in fact most Americans are leaning towards the liberal end of the spectrum.
        Apparently you missed the mid term elections. It was a historic shift away from "progressive" thinking at the local, state and federal level across the country. My guess is that you do not spend too much time outside of New England.

Comment

Are you the 19 year old? Where have you come to hold these opinions on our standing in the world? Where have you travelled?

Or are you simply regurgitating what your professors have told you? Or your friends? Or whatever media you pay attention to.

Do yourself a favor. Come up with some of your own ideas and thoughts, you seem like a smart kid.

P.S. No country in the world allows for more upward mobility than America. This is why so many people want to come here. If you work hard here you have the opportunity to do whatever you want. This cannot be said in many places. Fact.
          Yes, I'm the 19 year old. These ideas are my own and I've come to this way of thinking from my experiences with the people I've volunteered with and the people I've met throughout my college career. It's what I believe to be true from my studies. America is a good country to finish college, get a job and make some money but to those who were not offered the same opportunities and I have received, it's not always a straight forward path. These guys are some of the hardest workers I have ever seen in my life and when I talk to them about some of the things they have gone through, I refuse to believe America is as fair as it makes it out to be. I've been given opportunities that these guys wished they had and looking back, if I were in their position I highly doubt I would be at the college I would be at now. I went to a private school all my life and when I compare myself to them, I feel like I should have done much more with my life. It's a sad reality but I'm glad I got this perspective early on in life rather than later on because it's a way of thinking that's only going to improve America.

Comment

Right. I'm a 19 year old at a NESCAC school. I'm also white with fairly affluent parents.
            I must say, throughout highschool I didn't care for the minority population because, again, I lived in an area that wasn't racially diverse. But two years in college have changed my perspective. I've talked to students who haven't had the same opportunities as I have had throughout my youth. Yet, they have the initiative to be at the same place where I am today, a pretty good school in the eyes of most people.

This gave me a new view on everything. I'm not the one who needs more help in the college admissions process. It's students like the people I've met here, who worked 2 full-time jobs and also got a 3.75 GPA in high school that need the help from admissions officers.

I'm only 19 but if the older adult population can't see this, I'm sure the only way if for the next generation of kids to stand up for what they believe. I think most college kids in my area think the same way as I do. I am proud and I know what I believe is correct.
            I'm 30 years older than you. Why do you think the same sort realization wasn't had when someone like me went to college? Why do you think that you are any more enlightened than the next guy? Fact of the matter is in many respects our country is a heck of a lot more tolerant place than it was in prior generations and if you want to go out see what the issues really are why don't go volunteer down at the Pine Street Inn or go do some HIV outreach work at some community health center then come back and lecture the rest of us about how enlightened you are.

Comment

Just as I thought. White guilt, self hating American. The liberal dream voter!

The best part is that you have no idea how racist your statement is. It would be amusing if it were not so sad. Here is some research homework for you. Go hang out in the housing projects in South Boston. Get back to me on all of the resources available to those kids.
              I have volunteered in South Boston. At my college, we have volunteering initiatives during the summer to tutor and help kids in the Dorchester and Roxbury area. Almost all the students I tutor are Black people and most of the homes/projects I've visited at filled with Black people.

The divide is America is only becoming greater and I'm even starting to convince my parents to question their conservative outlook on life.

Comment

I'm 30 years older than you. Why do you think the same sort realization wasn't had when someone like me went to college? Why do you think that you are any more enlightened than the next guy? Fact of the matter is in many respects our country is a heck of a lot more tolerant place than it was in prior generations and if you want to go out see what the issues really are why don't go volunteer down at the Pine Street Inn or go do some HIV outreach work at some community health center then come back and lecture the rest of us about how enlightened you are.
                I'm not saying I'm anymore enlightened than you, sir. I have my outlook on life and you're entitled to your own outlook on life. Most of the student body population at my school have the same outlook as me and these are bright, young, independent students.

We're not saying we're any better than you, sir. Nor are we saying we're any more enlightened. This is America and what we're taught since a young age is that opinions are opinions and you and I are both equally entitled to our own. If you refuse to have my outlook on life, then so be it. I can't force you to believe in something you refuse to believe in.

To me, you seem to have a very defensive attitude towards me. Is it because you feel you could be wrong? That somehow, you could be wrong against a 19 year old college kid? Trust me when I say this, I believe I have a lot more to learn and I know I'm not at the apex of my education yet.

Comment

Yes, I'm the 19 year old. These ideas are my own and I've come to this way of thinking from my experiences with the people I've volunteered with and the people I've met throughout my college career. It's what I believe to be true from my studies. America is a good country to finish college, get a job and make some money but to those who were not offered the same opportunities and I have received, it's not always a straight forward path. These guys are some of the hardest workers I have ever seen in my life and when I talk to them about some of the things they have gone through, I refuse to believe America is as fair as it makes it out to be. I've been given opportunities that these guys wished they had and looking back, if I were in their position I highly doubt I would be at the college I would be at now. I went to a private school all my life and when I compare myself to them, I feel like I should have done much more with my life. It's a sad reality but I'm glad I got this perspective early on in life rather than later on because it's a way of thinking that's only going to improve America.
                  Seems like you have a ton of opinions based on your vast experience at 19. Another rich kid who has it all figured out. How much are your student loans going to be? How much do your parents make? Do you have your own car? Where was your last vacation?

Limousine liberal. Plain and simple.

Comment

Seems like you have a ton of opinions based on your vast experience at 19. Another rich kid who has it all figured out. How much are your student loans going to be? How much do your parents make? Do you have your own car? Where was your last vacation?

I bought my own car my first year of college with the money I raised myself for the past 3 years. It's a used Honda that I'm proud of.
                    My tuition is being paid half by my parents, the other quarter is paid my merit-scholarships and the other quarter is paid by student loans.
                    My last vacation was in Ecuador as a student-volunteer.

I'm not saying I have everything figured out. Where do you get this idea from? Like I said, I still have a lot to learn but right now, my beliefs are firm. Sure it's subject to change but it still doesn't change my fundamental belief.

Comment

You are a moron, plain and simple. There is a new generation of young people that are appalled at the vast disparity between the one percenters and the the disadvantaged minorities and they are getting more confident to do something about it. If you want to believe that these are just a few tree hugging liberals then you are really out of touch.

Comment

You are a moron, plain and simple. There is a new generation of young people that are appalled at the vast disparity between the one percenters and the the disadvantaged minorities and they are getting more confident to do something about it. If you want to believe that these are just a few tree hugging liberals then you are really out of touch.
                        19yrold here again. You're right but don't call people morons. It just makes everything you say after seem invalid. :)

I see the disparity between the rich and poor and it just makes me mad sometimes.

Comment

Bunch of 40 yearold farts ganging up on a college kid in this thread. Pathetic.

Comment

People like you focus on the reaction of the poor when the real bigots like Louise Day Hicks and Al Sharpton are out there stoking the flames for personal gain. You'll label all whites from Southie racists because they are protesting against having their kids bused halfway across the city and never once take the person who could have easily averted all the rioting with a simple budget reallocation to task. That is why you are stupid. You get played for a sap and never see it.

Comment

Name calling is such a liberal response! Mid term elections must have been a bummer for you.

Comment

Bunch of 40 yearold farts ganging up on a college kid in this thread. Pathetic.
                                More like a 19 year kid college respectfully destroying a bunch of stupid rich white guys. They think they are sending their kids to college to be rich and arrogant and instead they end up getting a real education and despise everything wrong with daddy's values. Too funny!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X