Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are for-profit tournaments to blame for rising club soccer costs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are for-profit tournaments to blame for rising club soccer costs?

It used to be that all the holiday tournaments were hosted by local clubs with the proceeds going to reduce player fees. Now, we not only have to pay higher tournament prices but all that money is being sucked out of clubs entirely and into the hands of for-profit corporations. Discuss.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It used to be that all the holiday tournaments were hosted by local clubs with the proceeds going to reduce player fees. Now, we not only have to pay higher tournament prices but all that money is being sucked out of clubs entirely and into the hands of for-profit corporations. Discuss.
    Absolutely!!! Its not just the obvious ones like Disney, look at SoccerSkillsUnlimited, GPS, etc. All for profit, and not just a little profit but but major profit.

Comment

These tournaments are the root of all that is wrong with youth soccer. The promise of points and prestige and college scouts is what allows clubs to claim superior training and high prices.......... in a nutshell.

So yes.

Comment

Absolutely. Tournaments used to be a way for clubs to raise revenue so they can keep registration fees lower. Now that money is shared with for-profit companies and the families are the ones that suffer

Comment

Absolutely!!! Its not just the obvious ones like Disney, look at SoccerSkillsUnlimited, GPS, etc. All for profit, and not just a little profit but but major profit.
          The company helping run the tournament gets a portion but most of the revenue goes back to the local host club.

Comment

It's partly just perspective. When your kids were U9 - U11 or so you played small, local tournaments. As they grow you're traveling to the bigger tournaments and showcases.

Comment

The company helping run the tournament gets a portion but most of the revenue goes back to the local host club.
              Cool. Cool cool cool. Who is the local host club in the Reedy Creek Improvement District?

Comment

It is not tournament fees. It is the rise of DOCs and paid coaches.

There are not enough qualified people to fill all the paid coaching positions, but parents don't care. On this forum here, "daddy coaches" are regularly mocked. As long as you are paying your coach, most parents are satisfied. Never mind that the paid coach has limited experience. All your paid coach really did was pass the D license course. You all realize that they pass EVERYONE in those courses - if you sign up for enough coaching courses, you will get the license. There is no licensing exam, or continuing education, or experience requirement to get the license.

Half the paid coaches in this area are clueless. And every parent is dying to throw money at them.

Comment

Cool. Cool cool cool. Who is the local host club in the Reedy Creek Improvement District?
                  The Mouseketeers

Comment

There are not enough qualified people to fill all the paid coaching positions, but parents don't care. On this forum here, "daddy coaches" are regularly mocked. As long as you are paying your coach, most parents are satisfied. Never mind that the paid coach has limited experience. All your paid coach really did was pass the D license course. You all realize that they pass EVERYONE in those courses - if you sign up for enough coaching courses, you will get the license. There is no licensing exam, or continuing education, or experience requirement to get the license.

Half the paid coaches in this area are clueless. And every parent is dying to throw money at them.

You are spot on but it is the tournaments that drive all of it. In the younger years tournaments try to position themselves as big point opportunities so they can attact more teams. Later it becomes about the showcase but same idea. The entire industry has created this sense of "need" to be in these tournaments. So clubs hire DOC's and coaches becauce CLEARLY a paid person is FAR better than a volunteer. And if they have an accent, well, they must be better. So now they charge more because they have to pay these guys and you must be better if you cost more. At the root, the tournament where someone is making a lot of money. There are still some good tournaments that create revenue for clubs but it seems a lot more of the huge ones are benefitting individuals or companies.

Comment

You are spot on but it is the tournaments that drive all of it. In the younger years tournaments try to position themselves as big point opportunities so they can attact more teams. Later it becomes about the showcase but same idea. The entire industry has created this sense of "need" to be in these tournaments. So clubs hire DOC's and coaches becauce CLEARLY a paid person is FAR better than a volunteer. And if they have an accent, well, they must be better. So now they charge more because they have to pay these guys and you must be better if you cost more. At the root, the tournament where someone is making a lot of money. There are still some good tournaments that create revenue for clubs but it seems a lot more of the huge ones are benefitting individuals or companies.
                      Soccer is big business and money. People find ways to capitalize. Look at the coaches who all run private camps outside their clubs.

Comment

So true about the accent - anyone with an English accent can get hired as a paid coach. Experience playing the game does not matter - appearances matter, and an accent is perfect for that.

Comment

So true about the accent - anyone with an English accent can get hired as a paid coach. Experience playing the game does not matter - appearances matter, and an accent is perfect for that.
                          Right, mate. I can't start to tell you how much money I've made since moving to the states! I mean, I've got me day job, but I make so much pretending to be a football coach. I've got these wanker fathers sniffing me jock, thinking I can get their kids trials at the big clubs back home. I can't believe they pay me how much they do. I'd have done this years ago if I had known! They think I'm the best coach around, and I only played grade school football back in merry ol' England. My teams are average at best and can't win a tournament for anything. Oh well, keep the checks coming in, me uncle George always said! Cheers!

Comment

I just think this "paid coaches" argument is so worn out. Yes, I grew up playing several sports that were run through my catholic church and all the coaches were "daddy coaches" and they were firemen and plumbers and insurance salesman during the day and coaches on the evenings and weekends. Some were awesome coaches and good with kids and some were terrible coaches and bad with kids. And yes, some even showed up after a few hours at the local VFW smelling like beer and cigarettes. Ahhhhh! The good old days!

But let's get real. We practiced once (maybe twice) a week and had one game on Saturday - over the course of a 10-12 week season! Compare that with my U13G daughter's experience. Since she is a Keeper, she practices 4 nights a week (3 with her team and 1 with the club Keeper coach) during a 10-month season (with only a 2-week Christmas break)!! She plays a single game at least 3 weeks a month with usually a tournament every 4-6 weeks. Since the team usually makes the finals at the tournament that is 4 games on those weekends. My point being is that if the "paid coach" is dedicated and really develops the Kids, they are a FREAKING bargain!! I have run the numbers and our outstanding coach is probably making less than $5/hour and that is just when he is on the field coaching at practices or games (does not include his travel to practices or games). This whole notion that people are getting rich off youth soccer is just B.S.!!!!

Now the DOCs are a whole different matter. Not sure most Clubs are getting a whole lot for what they are paying DOCs but the coaches sure as heck are not making a lot of money. And yes, I hope that "Daddy" coaches continue to pitch in when they can but for my money, I'll take the paid coach any day!!

Comment

I just think this "paid coaches" argument is so worn out. Yes, I grew up playing several sports that were run through my catholic church and all the coaches were "daddy coaches" and they were firemen and plumbers and insurance salesman during the day and coaches on the evenings and weekends. Some were awesome coaches and good with kids and some were terrible coaches and bad with kids. And yes, some even showed up after a few hours at the local VFW smelling like beer and cigarettes. Ahhhhh! The good old days!

But let's get real. We practiced once (maybe twice) a week and had one game on Saturday - over the course of a 10-12 week season! Compare that with my U13G daughter's experience. Since she is a Keeper, she practices 4 nights a week (3 with her team and 1 with the club Keeper coach) during a 10-month season (with only a 2-week Christmas break)!! She plays a single game at least 3 weeks a month with usually a tournament every 4-6 weeks. Since the team usually makes the finals at the tournament that is 4 games on those weekends. My point being is that if the "paid coach" is dedicated and really develops the Kids, they are a FREAKING bargain!! I have run the numbers and our outstanding coach is probably making less than $5/hour and that is just when he is on the field coaching at practices or games (does not include his travel to practices or games). This whole notion that people are getting rich off youth soccer is just B.S.!!!!

Now the DOCs are a whole different matter. Not sure most Clubs are getting a whole lot for what they are paying DOCs but the coaches sure as heck are not making a lot of money. And yes, I hope that "Daddy" coaches continue to pitch in when they can but for my money, I'll take the paid coach any day!!
                              Coaches who do have the time and resources can make lots of money through private training and camps. Look at a typical summer camp at $200 per player, 2 hours a night. That is $20 an hour that week times 20 players equals $400 an hour. Some money goes back to the club, but $400 an hour is a great salary.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X