Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Don't know all the details. She had committed - part of UO's 2019 announcement, on Top Drawer Soccer, on her social media - but did not show up during the summer and was never on the team. Maybe she enrolled as a student but was not rostered. She probably would have had a lot of playing time this year if she had been on the roster.
    So let's count the lies the Thorns Academy has spread about their college commits:

1. Home page says 24 commits.
    2. College Commit page lists 18 recruits in 2019/20 pool.
    3. Two of the 18 are 2021 commits.
    4. Two more of the 18 were never rostered on their respective college teams for one minute.
    5. One of the 18 is now rostered for Crossfire United (Thorns, you can't have it both ways and take credit for Votava who committed three years before leaving CU, AND take credit for Pierce who committed when playing Academy but then left for CU).

All of which means that across a two year commit cycle (2019-20), they had 13 legit commits. 6 legit commits in 2019 and 7 in 2020. Far less successful than FCP ECNL, CU ECNL, or any of the stronger TA teams (Salmon Creek 00's, CFC 01's, Vancouver or Eastside 02's, GPS 03's).

Comment

She played in the Thorns Academy, and still has to go through the NWSL draft?

(Or are the Thorns not interested, and this is an attempt to find a gig somewhere else in NWSL?)

If the former, what's the point in having an academy if you have no rights to the prospects you train?
      Man did this girl get bad advice from someone (coaches, parents). Draft has come and gone. Again, never played a single minute in college, never been to any national camp, but thought she was good enough to get drafted

Comment

Man did this girl get bad advice from someone (coaches, parents). Draft has come and gone. Again, never played a single minute in college, never been to any national camp, but thought she was good enough to get drafted
        Who knows. Maybe she will be on a college roster this spring/fall?

Comment

It's a cautionary tale for every overconfident parent and kid out there. I really thought Thorns would pick her up (they still might), if only to say their academy produced a homegrown player. It seems like exactly their kind of BS fake news.

Comment

It's a cautionary tale for every overconfident parent and kid out there. I really thought Thorns would pick her up (they still might), if only to say their academy produced a homegrown player. It seems like exactly their kind of BS fake news.
            Playing devils' advocate. Why is it cautionary? What has she lost in this? Do you know her situation?

Comment

Playing devils' advocate. Why is it cautionary? What has she lost in this? Do you know her situation?
              Well, just off the top of my head she lost/gave up:

The chance to play on a Pac 12 team and likely earn playing time as a freshman, and to test herself against REAL NWSL players like Sophia Smith, Morgan Weaver, and Ashley Sanchez on a regular basis. What better way to prove you are pro team material?
              The chance to work under the former USWNT goalkeeper coach (now head coach of Oregon).
              The chance to impress that coach enough that he would be moved to help her get more callups for national teams (Oregon has had a good share of callups recently so this is not an outrageous idea)
              The chance to go to college and have a balanced life of soccer, higher education, and young adult fun and shenanigans.
              The chance to earn a degree that would support her financially far better than soccer does for 99.999% of women players.

Now, she has not lost all of that forever. She can still go to college and earn a degree. But she will never be able to play college soccer - she gave up her eligibility. And she will never be able to work with a coach who could have really helped her advance her obvious goals to play professionally and at the national team level. And to me that's the sad part. Obviously she bailed on Oregon long before she knew who the new coach would be. But someone gave her terrible advice or allowed her to maintain a delusion that she was ready for the pros. There were 40 keepers signed up for the draft today. Exactly one was drafted - in the third round. Now, she may get picked up as a discovery player - it wouldn't shock me at all if the Thorns do that because they have a vested interest in her success. And if that feels like success to her, cool.

Comment

Well, just off the top of my head she lost/gave up:

The chance to play on a Pac 12 team and likely earn playing time as a freshman, and to test herself against REAL NWSL players like Sophia Smith, Morgan Weaver, and Ashley Sanchez on a regular basis. What better way to prove you are pro team material?
                The chance to work under the former USWNT goalkeeper coach (now head coach of Oregon).
                The chance to impress that coach enough that he would be moved to help her get more callups for national teams (Oregon has had a good share of callups recently so this is not an outrageous idea)
                The chance to go to college and have a balanced life of soccer, higher education, and young adult fun and shenanigans.
                The chance to earn a degree that would support her financially far better than soccer does for 99.999% of women players.

Now, she has not lost all of that forever. She can still go to college and earn a degree. But she will never be able to play college soccer - she gave up her eligibility. And she will never be able to work with a coach who could have really helped her advance her obvious goals to play professionally and at the national team level. And to me that's the sad part. Obviously she bailed on Oregon long before she knew who the new coach would be. But someone gave her terrible advice or allowed her to maintain a delusion that she was ready for the pros. There were 40 keepers signed up for the draft today. Exactly one was drafted - in the third round. Now, she may get picked up as a discovery player - it wouldn't shock me at all if the Thorns do that because they have a vested interest in her success. And if that feels like success to her, cool.
                Seriously? Wow, you make a ton of assumptions and make some factually incorrect statements.

She's almost certainly still an amateur unless she signed with an agent (not very likely). So she has four years of college eligibility left.

By all accounts, she was not on the Oregon roster this past fall, so she didn't "bail" on Oregon. Maybe she was injured, maybe she didn't have the academic piece in place to get into Oregon. Maybe she simply changed her mind and chose not to go to Oregon.

You didn't answer my last question, so it's obvious you don't know her situation. In lieu of that, it's shameful to speculate anonymously on an internet message board about an 18yr old kid.

Comment

Don't you people have jobs?

What a bunch of sad sacks.

Comment

Seriously? Wow, you make a ton of assumptions and make some factually incorrect statements.

She's almost certainly still an amateur unless she signed with an agent (not very likely). So she has four years of college eligibility left.

By all accounts, she was not on the Oregon roster this past fall, so she didn't "bail" on Oregon. Maybe she was injured, maybe she didn't have the academic piece in place to get into Oregon. Maybe she simply changed her mind and chose not to go to Oregon.

You didn't answer my last question, so it's obvious you don't know her situation. In lieu of that, it's shameful to speculate anonymously on an internet message board about an 18yr old kid.
                    Check out the NWSL website where it very clearly says players forgo all college eligibility when they enter the draft. She has no eligibility. She gambled and lost. And I didn’t make a single assumption. Just stated some painful facts.

Comment

Check out the NWSL website where it very clearly says players forgo all college eligibility when they enter the draft. She has no eligibility. She gambled and lost. And I didn’t make a single assumption. Just stated some painful facts.
                      Exactly, otherwise everyone eligible person would put their name in the draft to see where they would go. Would just be a wasted of everyones time.

Comment

Don't you people have jobs?

What a bunch of sad sacks.
                        Sadly, no. If I had a job I wouldn't be here.

Mother shut off the dial up service at her trailer so I have to walk to the library. The internet is slow here but at least it's free.

It's BS that I can't get a good job. Not my fault that I have an odor issue.

Comment

Thorns web site ?

Why would you source the thorns web site for NCAA rules. Basketball players can enter the draft and as long as they haven't signed with a agent return to college. Why would women's soccer be different

She didn't give up on U of O doesn't seem like it was much of as option. College education opportunity still very much on the table

Comment

sorry, no.

In order to be eligible for the 2020 NWSL College Draft, a player must:

• Be a player who will forego any remaining college eligibility

It says nothing along the lines of what you are suggesting.

The NWSL does not dictate who is an amateur in the eyes of the NCAA. The NCAA is very clear about this. Read up on it.....

Comment

I may be wrong, but I believe to enter the NWSL draft you have to forfeit any college eligibility

Comment

Sadly, no. If I had a job I wouldn't be here.

Mother shut off the dial up service at her trailer so I have to walk to the library. The internet is slow here but at least it's free.

It's BS that I can't get a good job. Not my fault that I have an odor issue.
                                You are a bunch of weirdos on here.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X