X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That 20K could pay for college
    After taxes she would get about $13k. Any parent who tells their child to forego college for a chance to earn $13k is an idiot. Do the parents think she is on the same talent level as a Mallory Pugh? Mallory Pugh passed on college, but she also had a Nike deal

Comment

Your are crazy

If she gets drafted and makes a team she will be getting 100% more money from the league they she is from U of O considering she isn't on the roster. Seems like playing in women's league is a good part time job for a college student. Best of luck to her !!!!

Comment

Who cares?

If she wasn’t going to get playing time on the Oregon roster, why go to school for soccer? Why not try to play pro if she really wants to play soccer? She can always go to college later, whenever she wants and wherever she wants for academics. Maybe money isn’t an issue and even if it is, in state tuition isn’t much.

It’s like a smart student taking a gap year to intern in a job they’re interested in or just to travel and “find themselves”. Every kid is different and if this is what she wants, she should do it.

What about smart students who choose to go sit the bench at some meh state D1 school just so they can say they went D1 - or in her case, PAC 12? Why is that so impressive? I’ve seen more unhappy high school stars rotting on the bench at D1 schools and yet having no time for studies or a life outside of soccer. If that’s what a kid wants, then great. But if another kid wants to concentrate on trying to play pro soccer and then go to college later and concentrate on academics, I think that is fine too. Sounds more fun to me actually. Definitely sounds better than the majority of local Oregon recruits whose lives will consist of training to sit the bench at Oregon. Sure, the players that play a lot of minutes might be happy but what’s that, like 15 out of 30? Everyone signs their nli thinking they’ll get to play, when the reality is quite sobering.

Beyond all that, who cares? We should be wishing all the Oregon players luck, whatever path they choose. At least she’s trying for her dream, even if she fails.

Comment

If she wasn’t going to get playing time on the Oregon roster, why go to school for soccer? Why not try to play pro if she really wants to play soccer? She can always go to college later, whenever she wants and wherever she wants for academics. Maybe money isn’t an issue and even if it is, in state tuition isn’t much.

It’s like a smart student taking a gap year to intern in a job they’re interested in or just to travel and “find themselves”. Every kid is different and if this is what she wants, she should do it.

What about smart students who choose to go sit the bench at some meh state D1 school just so they can say they went D1 - or in her case, PAC 12? Why is that so impressive? I’ve seen more unhappy high school stars rotting on the bench at D1 schools and yet having no time for studies or a life outside of soccer. If that’s what a kid wants, then great. But if another kid wants to concentrate on trying to play pro soccer and then go to college later and concentrate on academics, I think that is fine too. Sounds more fun to me actually. Definitely sounds better than the majority of local Oregon recruits whose lives will consist of training to sit the bench at Oregon. Sure, the players that play a lot of minutes might be happy but what’s that, like 15 out of 30? Everyone signs their nli thinking they’ll get to play, when the reality is quite sobering.

Beyond all that, who cares? We should be wishing all the Oregon players luck, whatever path they choose. At least she’s trying for her dream, even if she fails.
          You make it sound like she is some soccer protege. It would be great me thing if she had been attending national camp after national camp, but she hasn’t even been to 1 single camp, she can’t even crack the lineup at Oregon and she thinks she is a pro. IMHO she couldn’t even crack the starting line up for Jesuit HS

Comment

You make it sound like she is some soccer protege. It would be great me thing if she had been attending national camp after national camp, but she hasn’t even been to 1 single camp, she can’t even crack the lineup at Oregon and she thinks she is a pro. IMHO she couldn’t even crack the starting line up for Jesuit HS
            In all likelihood, her soccer career will be over soon, at least as someone who is looking to be compensated to play. Unfortunate.

But some of the comments on this thread seem to be full of glee, as though someone is thrilled to see a Thorns alum fail. She got one look from the NT, more than most local girls get, and has likely reached her ceiling. Will happen to most girls at some point or another, the next Oregon girl that "makes it" in pro or international soccer will be the second to do so.

Comment

Not at all. I have no dog in this fight and don’t know if she’s great or not. To me that is beside the point. My points are why would anyone bash a girl from trying something she wants? Who cares if she fails or succeeds besides her? By that kind of logic, every Oregon recruit who sits the bench, should quit and just concentrate on actual schooling. It’s not like she’s giving up college. She’s trading college soccer for pro soccer. She can always go back to any college she wants and get a degree. Even if she doesn’t make a long or illustrious pro career, she wanted to try. Just like about 10 plus players for the Oregon and every PAC 12 roster trade academics for sitting the pine. Who cares if that’s what they want? There are different paths and every kid wants different things. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Not at all. I have no dog in this fight and don’t know if she’s great or not. To me that is beside the point. My points are why would anyone bash a girl from trying something she wants? Who cares if she fails or succeeds besides her? By that kind of logic, every Oregon recruit who sits the bench, should quit and just concentrate on actual schooling. It’s not like she’s giving up college. She’s trading college soccer for pro soccer. She can always go back to any college she wants and get a degree. Even if she doesn’t make a long or illustrious pro career, she wanted to try. Just like about 10 plus players for the Oregon and every PAC 12 roster trade academics for sitting the pine. Who cares if that’s what they want? There are different paths and every kid wants different things. Nothing wrong with that.
                Agree!!! Go get them Hailey!! Go your own way!!

Comment

Someone wants to point and laugh at what they view as the failure of a Thorns Academy prospect.

A true lion does not worry about the mice.

Comment

Someone wants to point and laugh at what they view as the failure of a Thorns Academy prospect.

A true lion does not worry about the mice.
                    A lion. Okay. To be clear, no one is pointing and laughing at the kid. If she manages to land on a team and see the field, I think everyone in Oregon will be proud and excited for her. The issue is the malpractice by Thorns academy and her parents. It is rare - incredibly rare - that a female soccer player is able to successfully go straight from club level to the pros and bypass college. So rare that we can count the players on one hand. Horan, Pugh, and...? Moultrie eventually? Maybe?

So again, to be clear, this kid - who has exactly one national team callup for a meaningless pair of games - thinks she is on the level of Pugh and Horan. That she can do what players like Andi Sullivan, Katie Meyer, and Catarina Macario didn't do. That she is good enough to skip the step that Rose Lavelle and Casey Short took. She looks at the current national team and says "I don't need to take the steps that Emily Sonnet and Lynn Williams took - I can skip college because I'm on the level of Pugh and Horan."

Does this sound like smart thinking on her part? And again, I am not criticizing the 18 year old barely adult. She has been told from a very young age that academy was the "path to the pros." She was taught - through actions or words - that education is less important than soccer. And she somehow along the way she picked up the lesson that a year of college soccer where you have to actually compete and fight for playing time is a bad thing - if you can't be the starter from day one it's not worth your time.

Comment

A lion. Okay. To be clear, no one is pointing and laughing at the kid. If she manages to land on a team and see the field, I think everyone in Oregon will be proud and excited for her. The issue is the malpractice by Thorns academy and her parents. It is rare - incredibly rare - that a female soccer player is able to successfully go straight from club level to the pros and bypass college. So rare that we can count the players on one hand. Horan, Pugh, and...? Moultrie eventually? Maybe?

So again, to be clear, this kid - who has exactly one national team callup for a meaningless pair of games - thinks she is on the level of Pugh and Horan. That she can do what players like Andi Sullivan, Katie Meyer, and Catarina Macario didn't do. That she is good enough to skip the step that Rose Lavelle and Casey Short took. She looks at the current national team and says "I don't need to take the steps that Emily Sonnet and Lynn Williams took - I can skip college because I'm on the level of Pugh and Horan."

Does this sound like smart thinking on her part? And again, I am not criticizing the 18 year old barely adult. She has been told from a very young age that academy was the "path to the pros." She was taught - through actions or words - that education is less important than soccer. And she somehow along the way she picked up the lesson that a year of college soccer where you have to actually compete and fight for playing time is a bad thing - if you can't be the starter from day one it's not worth your time.
                      Why is this malpractice on the part of the Thorns? They thought she wasn't ready for the pros, and didn't offer her a spot. The vast majority of academy prospects never make the first team. After that, her career is her business.

She went to Oregon, didn't see the field, coach was canned, new coach came in. Staying with the Ducks might not be a good situation either. Probably she won't be drafted, and her soccer career will be over, her NCAA eligibility gone, and no interest from the pro ranks. She might do semi-pro, or she might get on with her life.

Like the vast, vast majority of youth stars have to do.

Comment

zero dog in this fight, but why tf do you care? why spend all this time moaning and complaining and pontificating about this.

Comment

OMG, no dog in this fight but NOWHERE does she say she is as good as Pugh and Horan or better than Macario and Lavelle! Looks to me that she’s simply putting college on hold and simply trying to play some kind of professional soccer. What the heck is wrong with that? It’s just like a kid taking a gap year or two to do something else before college. And why do you care? At this point, people might be wondering more about how your parents raised you.

Comment

Why is this malpractice on the part of the Thorns? They thought she wasn't ready for the pros, and didn't offer her a spot. The vast majority of academy prospects never make the first team. After that, her career is her business.

She went to Oregon, didn't see the field, coach was canned, new coach came in. Staying with the Ducks might not be a good situation either. Probably she won't be drafted, and her soccer career will be over, her NCAA eligibility gone, and no interest from the pro ranks. She might do semi-pro, or she might get on with her life.

Like the vast, vast majority of youth stars have to do.
                            Never went to Oregon. She had committed but then did not attend so was never rostered. Just want to be factually accurate.

Tough route for her to pursue but I wish her success. Not only is she pursuing a risky path, she is doing so in full public view. That’s tough for anyone.

Comment

Never went to Oregon. She had committed but then did not attend so was never rostered. Just want to be factually accurate.

Tough route for her to pursue but I wish her success. Not only is she pursuing a risky path, she is doing so in full public view. That’s tough for anyone.
                              Did she receive a scholarship (or at least an offer)? Did she enroll as a student? Or was she announcing an intent to walk on and never followed through?

Comment

Did she receive a scholarship (or at least an offer)? Did she enroll as a student? Or was she announcing an intent to walk on and never followed through?
                                Don't know all the details. She had committed - part of UO's 2019 announcement, on Top Drawer Soccer, on her social media - but did not show up during the summer and was never on the team. Maybe she enrolled as a student but was not rostered. She probably would have had a lot of playing time this year if she had been on the roster.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X