Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    What.. Your supposed get mad and call me names. I was just messing with you. I understand your original post.
    ;). I’m civil :) thank you

Comment

You mean rec where the parents are coaches? Is he supposed to learn that naturally?

Most competitive is recreation anyway, just with fancy uniforms and a high price tag.
      Somebody has been brainwashed....

-Very few kids will get anything of actual monetary value out of soccer.
      -If your kid is not having fun, it is not worth playing and paying.
      -Most of the time it is other adults, coaches and parents who ruin the experience for a player
      who just wants to play the game and have fun.
      -Unless you are a top 5 state team, you are nothing but a money grab for some club.
      -The goal of tryouts is to get as many kids signing up as possible. It is a business, and revenue is determined by how many join. Can't trap a ball? So what, write the check.

Stop wasting your money on comp soccer. Play other sports. Save that money for their education. Trust me on this. Be the parent, make the smart choices for your children. They are not trying to develop your kid. They want your money. Keep your money!

Comment

Again, I wasn’t there unprepared, was there to play a game for my own club. Wasn’t there to do research. Happened to be a coincidence. When I did see the team for the club I was interested in, then did the research and figured out it was one for their lower teams. Most parents won’t and that sir was the reason for my comment.
        So you must be a player? If not holy helicopter parent batman, ‘you were there to play a game’, ‘club I was interested in’

Your poor child

Comment

So you must be a player? If not holy helicopter parent batman, ‘you were there to play a game’, ‘club I was interested in’

Your poor child
          Oh, your poor child! Let me guess, you are a friend parent? Does your child tell you how and where to spend your money? Your child tells which club to join? Your child tells you which club is best and why? Your child goes to games by themselves?

Comment

Oh, your poor child! Let me guess, you are a friend parent? Does your child tell you how and where to spend your money? Your child tells which club to join? Your child tells you which club is best and why? Your child goes to games by themselves?
            No my kid is a kid, who I know will never be a pro, very very unlikely will get a college scholarship and has been in competitive soccer for 7 years. Moved multiple clubs, for various reasons, be it on a team that followed a coach to a new club, joined a club closer to home as the bull**** at these clubs are all the same so why travel 1 hr in rush hour, when you could play closer to home, when lots of my money went down the drain on the private coaching bull****, when really a kid needs to have the commitment and desire to work with the ball themselves. So just woke up a few years back and stepped off being the ‘helicopter parent’ my kid plays on a poor team, I hate watching the level, but he’s much happier as he plays for the fun of it, as I’m not pushing something that he doesn’t want for himself.

Comment

No my kid is a kid, who I know will never be a pro, very very unlikely will get a college scholarship and has been in competitive soccer for 7 years. Moved multiple clubs, for various reasons, be it on a team that followed a coach to a new club, joined a club closer to home as the bull**** at these clubs are all the same so why travel 1 hr in rush hour, when you could play closer to home, when lots of my money went down the drain on the private coaching bull****, when really a kid needs to have the commitment and desire to work with the ball themselves. So just woke up a few years back and stepped off being the ‘helicopter parent’ my kid plays on a poor team, I hate watching the level, but he’s much happier as he plays for the fun of it, as I’m not pushing something that he doesn’t want for himself.
              Well good for you. My kid is good, likes to be challenged. Will he go pro? I don’t know, but will I give him the proper training and tools to get there? Yes.

If he or she is the best in your club, time to find a new one.
              They will only get bored, stagnant and lose interest.

Comment

Well good for you. My kid is good, likes to be challenged. Will he go pro? I don’t know, but will I give him the proper training and tools to get there? Yes.

If he or she is the best in your club, time to find a new one.
                They will only get bored, stagnant and lose interest.
                My boy is u17, he will decide if wants to continue playing in the fall, and how he will juggle school and a job that he will be getting in the summer.

Your kid may be good, hope he is, but if he’s not in the DA or ecnl system he unfortunately won’t get the exposure to the college game (if he actually wants to play) and certainly won’t have a chance to go pro (Just look at those rosters and see how they change, I know plenty of kids who have dropped out of the game altogether as their dreams got crushed by reality of being dropped from the DA program). If he’s under u14 sure dictate what he should do but any older than that it’s time for a step back and provide suggestions, have your kid provide the direction. If his soccer is going to practice and going to private training because you can afford it and that’s it, well he 100% won’t make it. Simple as that, if he’s a kid who has a ball at his feet in the house, goes in the yard and just practices, And practices, plays in the street or park with friends regularly without parental structure, then that’s the type of kid who does have the self drive, and hopefully will be lucky physically, avoid serious injuries and will go on to achieve their dreams.

Comment

My boy is u17, he will decide if wants to continue playing in the fall, and how he will juggle school and a job that he will be getting in the summer.

Your kid may be good, hope he is, but if he’s not in the DA or ecnl system he unfortunately won’t get the exposure to the college game (if he actually wants to play) and certainly won’t have a chance to go pro (Just look at those rosters and see how they change, I know plenty of kids who have dropped out of the game altogether as their dreams got crushed by reality of being dropped from the DA program). If he’s under u14 sure dictate what he should do but any older than that it’s time for a step back and provide suggestions, have your kid provide the direction. If his soccer is going to practice and going to private training because you can afford it and that’s it, well he 100% won’t make it. Simple as that, if he’s a kid who has a ball at his feet in the house, goes in the yard and just practices, And practices, plays in the street or park with friends regularly without parental structure, then that’s the type of kid who does have the self drive, and hopefully will be lucky physically, avoid serious injuries and will go on to achieve their dreams.
                  Agreed, and yes he likes to play on his own, all the time, will even use a stick or rock in the woods when no ball is around. 1st thing he touches when he gets up, And last thing before he leaves the house.

We are a soccer family, and so is our culture. We don’t need to pay extra for private training.

While it is his passion, we will enjoy it blossoming and enjoy the view, he will have to make his own dream a reality, he will have to put in the hard work. That is up to him. We’ll give him our support, love, and guidance. All we can do.

Comment

Can a player get invited to usnt camp if they are playing rec?

Comment

Can a player get invited to usnt camp if they are playing rec?
                      I hear there is a top level rec goalie, that should get called up!

Comment

Good post... I think I need to re-evaluate my expectations too. My kid says he wants it but I don't see the actions. Maybe it's time I say no and stop paying.

Comment

We did the same, my daughter is a good player, enjoys playing soccer and has zero desire to play in college. Coach would get upset with her when she didn't go to ID camps, and dismissed when information and cards were given to her. When the team asked for information for a team brochure she asked to be left off, they still put her on. The team was not just satisfied having her on the team. She never missed practices, did whatever was asked, worked on her own, but because they would not be able to list her as a college commitment they seemed to treat her differently. At the end of the season, the coach said "this team is for player who want to play in college, we want that level of commitment". She asked to move to a different team the next season as all she wanted to do was play soccer and enjoy the sport. Best decision we have made. Team enjoys having her on the team and I don't think I have seen her this happy playing since she was 11.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X