Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middlesex YSL's dirty play / referee problems

My kid still plays on a girls Middlesex YSL town team too, because it's fun (or used to be) and a lot of her friends have been on the team since they were little kids.

But in the last year or two as the kids have gotten bigger, the dirty play has gotten hard to take. It's not aggressive or tough play, it's stupid and dangerous and no-skill stuff like hits to the face, or blindside two-hand pushes from behind. It's obviously being encouraged by the weak coaches and towns. They think it's what you do when you don't have the coaching or player skills to compete. It's most noticeable with a couple teams - let's call them S & M. It's unbelievable they are willing to do this over a game that is supposed to be fun, and where the scores don't matter at all.

Before you say, hey that's just how the game is played when the kids get bigger - it's not. It's not how most of the teams in MYSL play. It's not how the teams play in BAYS. It's not how the teams play in club. It's just these few teams in MYSL.

So part of it is the coaches and towns, and part of it of course is the referees. A tough job for sure, but MYSL has to tell them to clamp down on this. And give them the training to do it. There's no reason for kids to get injured over what's supposed to be a fun game.

Its also not doing the kids on their teams any favors. They are learning the wrong stuff, and not learning what they should.

And of course it's the other coaches and town directors too, who more than anyone see this and know this is wrong but don't say anything. They could actually do something about it, but don't. You're really not doing anyone any favors with that, people.

Don’t blame the referees. Blame the town, MYSA, and MassRef for not training them.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Don’t blame the referees. Blame the town, MYSA, and MassRef for not training them.
      You're absolutely right, it's the training and the guidance and policies.

I mention it only because that's a key place where they have to act if they decide to do something about it.

Comment

My kid still plays on a girls Middlesex YSL town team too, because it's fun (or used to be) and a lot of her friends have been on the team since they were little kids.

But in the last year or two as the kids have gotten bigger, the dirty play has gotten hard to take. It's not aggressive or tough play, it's stupid and dangerous and no-skill stuff like hits to the face, or blindside two-hand pushes from behind. It's obviously being encouraged by the weak coaches and towns. They think it's what you do when you don't have the coaching or player skills to compete. It's most noticeable with a couple teams - let's call them S & M. It's unbelievable they are willing to do this over a game that is supposed to be fun, and where the scores don't matter at all.

Before you say, hey that's just how the game is played when the kids get bigger - it's not. It's not how most of the teams in MYSL play. It's not how the teams play in BAYS. It's not how the teams play in club. It's just these few teams in MYSL.

So part of it is the coaches and towns, and part of it of course is the referees. A tough job for sure, but MYSL has to tell them to clamp down on this. And give them the training to do it. There's no reason for kids to get injured over what's supposed to be a fun game.

Its also not doing the kids on their teams any favors. They are learning the wrong stuff, and not learning what they should.

And of course it's the other coaches and town directors too, who more than anyone see this and know this is wrong but don't say anything. They could actually do something about it, but don't. You're really not doing anyone any favors with that, people.
        Go take a referee class, get certified and go ref this Spring. There are plenty of classes available still. You have no idea how hard it is to ref and it is now a thankless job because of the a**hole parents who yell at them all the time. What kid in their right mine wants to referee these days?

Comment

I can’t say one town or league has tougher players/teams. There’s some club teams that are just as rough town teams.
          I think there’s a few factors that lead to “dirty play”
          I do think that refs have to blow their whistles more to set the tone. I think once player realize the ref will call fouls it tend to lessen dirty play.
          Again rock and hard place for a ref if they let play go coaches parents complain if they call it close coaches parents complain and the players on the field feed off on this.
          I think coaches should take responsibility more. You don’t have to be a great coach to see when your players are being dirty. Coaches should take the player off the field and calm that player speak to that player.

Last I think coaches should speak up to the league/town board if there are teams/coaches that are overly aggressive. Worst case shot a text to on of your teams parents and ask if they can record the game with their phone to prove what is happening.
          Or if you are a coach and know you are playing a dirty team tell the coach/ref that the game is being recorded. It’s funny how most people calm down or try to act better when they know they are being taped.

Also can parents please be quite in the sideline. The worse parents are the parents of players that play club and for some reason that makes them no everything because they pay more money for soccer.

Comment

Go take a referee class, get certified and go ref this Spring. There are plenty of classes available still. You have no idea how hard it is to ref and it is now a thankless job because of the a**hole parents who yell at them all the time. What kid in their right mine wants to referee these days?
            Even once you run the math of what MYSL pays against what you can be making on a minimum wage basis, it's not that much different especially when talking from an AR perspective. At $20 per game for an AR on a u14 match, you are getting about $13.33 an hour, plus you have to invest $$ in the uniform. Once you put that into perspective, you are just as good to work elsewhere. Center ref pay at u 14 is $40/game is more acceptable... which means they get $26.66/hr but still consider the a**holes out there and the investment required and you will still have some seeking alternatives despite lower pay.

Pay refs more and you will see better ones come out of the woodwork... I guarantee it as that is just how supply and demand from a labor standpoint works. MYSL does increase pay only for Commissioners Cup and you do see some more experienced refs come out of the woodwork and even work as AR which you don't see at normal weekly games.

And most out there that decide to certify based on the poor officiating they experience only see how hard it is themselves.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X