Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WPSL Legit?

Is the league thats in the summer, one what is it? and two is this the legit professional league where players get drafted or what. I'm confused

WPSL is the league that plays in the summer. I'm pretty sure it is not professional as many college players play there and return to their college teams in the fall. Local Mass WPSL teams last summer were (in alpha order) Aztecs WPSL, Boston Breakers College Academy and Western NE Mutiny, but there were also WPSL teams from CT, NH and Maine

NWSL is the latest iteration of the women's professional league. It has allocated players from the US and Canadian national teams whose salaries are covered or supplemented by their national team (used to have allocated players from Mexican NTs too but the rumor is that Mexico pulled them because they weren't getting playing time). They have drafts of other players in January (College draft is January 17 at the NSCAA conference - not sure of the other dates) and also sign "discovery" players outside the draft. I don't know what a discovery player is. Their draft rules are obscure and ever changing. The list of those who have registered for the draft seems to be secret. NWSL recently expanded to add another franchise - Houston and this has caused the draft order to be in flux. Not sure if it has been decided how to add them into the order that had previously been decided.

The Boston Breakers is the local professional NWSL team (in addition to the Breakers Reserves -potential professionals- and College Academy teams) and has been protecting some players on its roster and has made several trades in the off season. Most notably they traded Sydney Lerioux (sp?) for Hason local Kristie Mewis and several other draft picks.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    Working...
    X