Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Maybe after they tell you they like her but they have no money left or they are saving the money for another position or player. In that case remain persistent. I have seen players get offers for books or as a preferred walk on because they knew they wanted a particular school and wanted to play soccer there. Their offers took some time to come around, but their persistence paid off. I'm not sure how much they got to play once they got where they were going. I did hear that a player from a team in this year's Elite 8 started as a preferred walk on but made her way to a starting position.
    Thank you!!!!

Comment

This question applies to a rising U17 (to be a junior in the fall). I realize that direct contact can't initiate until this upcoming September. Do coaches ever have the school send email to student-athletes inviting them to tour the school. This email is communication fro the school only and has nothing to do with athletics.

I know that id camps are generally "money grabs" for schools. However, would it be fair to assume that there might be interest from a school if a kid receives an invitation to an id camp immediately after a coach sees the kid play? I realize that coaches often send these invitations when they receive email from athletes but I am asking if the invitation is received after seeing a kid play when the athlete may or may not have contacted the coach beforehand. TIA

Comment

This question applies to a rising U17 (to be a junior in the fall). I realize that direct contact can't initiate until this upcoming September. Do coaches ever have the school send email to student-athletes inviting them to tour the school. This email is communication fro the school only and has nothing to do with athletics.

I know that id camps are generally "money grabs" for schools. However, would it be fair to assume that there might be interest from a school if a kid receives an invitation to an id camp immediately after a coach sees the kid play? I realize that coaches often send these invitations when they receive email from athletes but I am asking if the invitation is received after seeing a kid play when the athlete may or may not have contacted the coach beforehand. TIA
        Yes, absolutely. Camp invites are one of the only ways a coach is allowed to reach out to a player directly. Forget about the camp though, your kid just needs to get the coach on the phone and talk to him. The camp invite could be nothing, or it could be the coach's way of saying "call me". If the coach says register for camp, it's a money grab. If the coach says "where can we see you play", or "we've seen you play, we want to get you on campus so we can talk", then he's interested.

Comment

I thought it STARTED with TALENT.. what was I thinking...

Comment

I thought it STARTED with TALENT.. what was I thinking...
            It does start with talent. What's your point? A coach wouldn't be interested in a player that didn't have talent.

Comment

Great post!!!! Thank you!!!

If my kid really wants to play for a school and just wants a spot (scholarship would be nice but would play for nothing) when do we flat out tell the coach we just want a spot?
              Who is "we", because "we" isn't going to college and having to attend class and then practice. Sounds like more mom and dad wanting it than the player. I wanted it for my son, and he didn't put the effort into getting with the coaches. I wanted it so bad for him and I contacted coaches and got him into ID camps and in front of the right people. I made him go to schools to look, I am the one that wanted him to play D1. He just wouldn't tell me that he wanted to play but not at that level. He is now content playing for a smaller program and not having to put in as much time with the team so he can work and have a social life. The player better be the one going to the effort of contacting the schools or sooner or later you the parent will be disappointed. Make sure that they want to play, and it isn't about mom and or dad wanting them to play.

Comment

Who is "we", because "we" isn't going to college and having to attend class and then practice. Sounds like more mom and dad wanting it than the player. I wanted it for my son, and he didn't put the effort into getting with the coaches. I wanted it so bad for him and I contacted coaches and got him into ID camps and in front of the right people. I made him go to schools to look, I am the one that wanted him to play D1. He just wouldn't tell me that he wanted to play but not at that level. He is now content playing for a smaller program and not having to put in as much time with the team so he can work and have a social life. The player better be the one going to the effort of contacting the schools or sooner or later you the parent will be disappointed. Make sure that they want to play, and it isn't about mom and or dad wanting them to play.
                I think you are reading too much into this. The poster might have said "we" not because they want their kid to play and he/she doesn't , but rather because the parents still pay the college bill to some degree most likely sonlf course they are involved in the decision.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X