Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I think a lot of people also don't understand, that while every school in D1 is allowed to have 9.9 scholarships, there is a great number that don't have that full amount! You can't really blame a college for using one of their few scholarships on a real difference maker from another country, they have to keep their jobs somehow! Results have to eventually start being produced.

Personally I think that the draft should be a American citizen/born thing only. The foreign players should either be apart of a different draft or have to get signed on their own, because they had their shot at making it professionally in their home country, so why should they have the ability to come in and steal that from a player who didn't have so many pro academies around them!
    Just because they are allowed 9.9 scholarships does note mean they have 9.9 scholarships. it all depends on how much they are funded by their AD.

Comment

If the USA players could compete on a level field then I would have no problem but due to a NCAA loop hole many foreign players are actually much older than your 18 year old USA freshman and are graduate students. Take a look at Lynn University's roster which is primarily made up of 23 year old graduate students from Germany. There is a huge physical difference between 23 year old men and 18 year freshman.

Comment

The foreign players easily make rosters at all divisions cause they are better trained technically then our "elite" athletes.

Surprised no one mentioned it, but if u look at the rosters, the foreign players are often the shortest- in other words the coaches were looking for skilled players, went foreign, and the rest big USA direct playing ussda kids.

Comment

The foreign players easily make rosters at all divisions cause they are better trained technically then our "elite" athletes.

Surprised no one mentioned it, but if u look at the rosters, the foreign players are often the shortest- in other words the coaches were looking for skilled players, went foreign, and the rest big USA direct playing ussda kids.
          Foreign players are also the oldest players in the team, typically early 20's. College coaches want more mature players since they often have a physical advantage over someone who is 18-19

Also, many kids who come from US clubs have a history of injuries. That's caused by playing so many games during the season. Many kids play 30-40 games during a season (more if they play in high school or Elite leagues).

When they get hurt, they don't have to heal properly. College coaches are aware of that. Knee operations are not very common in other parts of the world, so they prefer those players.

In most countries, young athletes practice more and play less. Maybe 10-15 games a year. Playing 4 games in two days is unheard of. That only happens in US.

I know that many parents feel that their kids will develop faster if they play more often, but typically that's not the case. If you want your kid to have a future as a college player, then Google and see what other countries do with their young programs.

Comment

If the USA players could compete on a level field then I would have no problem but due to a NCAA loop hole many foreign players are actually much older than your 18 year old USA freshman and are graduate students. Take a look at Lynn University's roster which is primarily made up of 23 year old graduate students from Germany. There is a huge physical difference between 23 year old men and 18 year freshman.
            It's not a loophole for foreign players. It's been the same in all college sports forever. When I played in college a 100 years ago, every year we had athletes coming in as 23-24 year old freshmen from the G.I. bill ( one was 26 ). Yes, they were bigger, stronger, and much tougher than most others. But you know what, they were not always the best athletes. That's just the way it is. The cream will rise to the top regardless. And by the way, those players were all red-white-blue USA born.

Comment

This is why it is tough for boys in the US to get a college scholarship. First you have title 9 that causes a lot of large football schools to not even offer men's college soccer (just womens to counter all the football scholarships that they give out). Then what little scholarships are left for the men are taken up by foreigners.
              Honestly if the Americans had skills like the foreigners they wouldn't have to worry - there's only so many strong big direct USA players the coach needs on a team. The 5 8 midfielder from Jamaican national team strarts looking good to the coach after awhile.

Comment

I am not talking about US players playing in Europe or being good enough to play pro soccer in Europe . I am saying that there are plenty of US players that can play College soccer which is not high quality soccer to begin with that are over looked because coaches think foreign players are better. Again most foreign players are rejects otherwise they would not be here in the USA playing college soccer. I have seen it first hand. On my son's college team no a single foreign player could make his club team.
                You have no clue what your talking about. No way are the foreign players all rejects - many I them are very talented and use it to get the American Dream with free education. Maybe the player that goes to Chelsea making 20 mn a year won't come but for lots of others an education and chance to go to a safe and opportunity country like America is the biggest dream of all.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X