Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High School Soccer

Now that Surf Cup and US Club Nationals are over we can now shift our focus to the local high school soccer scene. Since my DD plays in the Metro League lets start there. I am going to give my brief, unscientific, biased, opinion on the teams found there. I have listed them in order I am predicting they will finish in the Metro.

1. Jesuit (8-0-2 in 2010)
    Many seniors graduated. Can the upcoming juniors and sophomores (and frosh) fill the void left by the 2010 class?

2. Westview (8-0-2 in 2010)
    Same boat as Jesuit with a large graduating class. They don't play frosh so the talent packed sophomore class will need to fill those shoes.

3. Sunset (3-6-1 in 2010)
    Had a good frosh class last season and finished strong in the playoffs. Only graduated 3 seniors. If this team can gel they could surprise a lot of people.

4. Beaverton (6-5-1 in 2010)
    Rumors of disgruntled players may hinder this years squad.

5. Southridge (3-5-2 in 2010)
    Don't have any information but when I do I will update.

6. Aloha (0-10-0 in 2010)
    I don't see this program advancing much past last years.

So, there you have it. My opinion, nothing more, nothing less. If you can add anything in agreement, disagreement or just information, that would be great. :)

Metro League Evaluation

1) Jesuit - Too much talent to deny and rumor of new players transferring in this year

2) Westview - Have the numbers in the program to be picky

3) Sunset - Graduated 3 and only was a 1 difference maker, returning the full team, should be very strong

4 - 6) This could be a battle and I don't see any front runner. Here's my summary of the 3 in no order

Beaverton have the next best team based on talent, but can't put it together. They lost 75% of the starting line-up to graduating. Even with Division 1 players and other strong individuals they still failed to make anything work in the past. Not expecting any improvements. Expecting worse.

Southridge has at least 5 of their stronger club players that are not playing for the school this season. They lost their all-league/state forward. I see this team struggling this season

Aloha keeps growing. I hear rumors of numbers around 70 in their summer program. Still 1-2 years away from being a threat in the league, but they are known for catching teams off guard. I think they could ruin a season for Beaverton or Southridge.

It'll be fun to watch as the season unfolds. Always great competition in this league

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Metro League Evaluation

Beaverton have the next best team based on talent, but can't put it together. They lost 75% of the starting line-up to graduating. Even with Division 1 players and other strong individuals they still failed to make anything work in the past. Not expecting any improvements. Expecting worse.
      Wow, that's tough. I don't have a player in this league so I figured it would be OK to pursue this line of thinking; do you feel a coaching change would reinvigorate the program? Or do you feel it is something else affecting the ability of the team to come together? It sounds like they had so pretty good talent in the past.

Comment

Wow, that's tough. I don't have a player in this league so I figured it would be OK to pursue this line of thinking; do you feel a coaching change would reinvigorate the program? Or do you feel it is something else affecting the ability of the team to come together? It sounds like they had so pretty good talent in the past.
        I think the coach is good enough, but needs to make some major changes in her approach. I also think that if they had 1 solid season or a big win against Jesuit or Westview that their would be enough momentum to push them into more success.

Enough of the right components are there to make it work. I hope they can pull it off this year. I hope I'm wrong with my prediction (I don't think I will be)

Comment

Where do you get the Southridge information regarding the 5 club stronger players not playing for the school?

Comment

Where do you get the Southridge information regarding the 5 club stronger players not playing for the school?
            From their mouths. Friends of my DD.

Comment

I have a HS daughter. You don't always believe what you read here, but I agree with most of these predictions.

BHS has a good program and players, but will need some things to happen to make them one of the top teams. The coaches are good but don't always know how to adjust and use the talent they have. It takes so much to play at this level. It is also very tiring. 6 days a week most of the time. Jesuit goes easier on them giving them a day off in play offs.

As far as SR goes. I have heard of some not playing because of the HS drama/politics/coach etc, but there are still many good players. I really don't know how much that will effect them, but looking forward to the season. Best Wishes to all teams.

Comment

I have a HS daughter. You don't always believe what you read here, but I agree with most of these predictions.

BHS has a good program and players, but will need some things to happen to make them one of the top teams. The coaches are good but don't always know how to adjust and use the talent they have. It takes so much to play at this level. It is also very tiring. 6 days a week most of the time. Jesuit goes easier on them giving them a day off in play offs.

As far as SR goes. I have heard of some not playing because of the HS drama/politics/coach etc, but there are still many good players. I really don't know how much that will effect them, but looking forward to the season. Best Wishes to all teams.
                You know, HS is tough enough for kids these days but then you add drama on top of it. I know our club team went through some, sounds like SR is too. I believe the drama would be tougher to deal with at the HS level since you see these players practically everyday in class and/or on the field. I hate to see the actions of a few ruin the chances of anyone to be happy playing the sport (or doing anything) they love. Tough situation it sounds like and we can only hope there is resolution and the players come back.

I second the best wishes comment. Here's to a great and injury free high school season! :)

Comment

Not sure where the Southridge is coming from. All varsity players are signed up for conditioning camp and have been there this week???

Comment

Not sure where the Southridge is coming from. All varsity players are signed up for conditioning camp and have been there this week???
                    Ha Ha Ha! OK, well, the sentiment still stands about HS being tough. If the posts about SR are just rumors well, as I said, the sentiment still stands for all.

Ha Ha Ha! That is funny and just so typical of a forum like this.

:D

Comment

Bvtn coach is the BOMB, and coaches well

Comment

Originally posted by SodiumFan[2] View Post
                        You know, HS is tough enough for kids these days but then you add drama on top of it. I know our club team went through some, sounds like SR is too. I believe the drama would be tougher to deal with at the HS level since you see these players practically everyday in class and/or on the field. I hate to see the actions of a few ruin the chances of anyone to be happy playing the sport (or doing anything) they love. Tough situation it sounds like and we can only hope there is resolution and the players come back.

I second the best wishes comment. Here's to a great and injury free high school season! :)
                        YOU are the cause of a lot of drama with your silly posts. Get a life and go and do something useful!!!

Comment

YOU are the cause of a lot of drama with your silly posts. Get a life and go and do something useful!!!
                          Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!! Think of that all by yourself Einstein?

Comment

Try outs

How did high school try outs go for everyone?

Comment

Southridge had a great tryout! All their varsity returned and they picked up a few great new players.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X