Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recruiting agencies - Are they worth it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Does a woman use the phrase "shop my kid's resume"? And does a woman refer to her daughter as her "kid"?

And how did 'she' jump from being caught off guard and clueless to proclaiming that there are several of these agencies in New England?

Did the 'agency' come to the clinic just for this one kid, who they didn't yet know met their very high academic standards? Why were they there at all? Wouldn't you think they would have asked the DOC for 5 minutes to address the entire crowd about what they have to offer and describe what kind of kids that might benefit from their services? How did all the other parents feel when "the person" introduced the agency to this one special couple? Seems like a really odd way of doing business, both in terms of "the person" and the "agency."
    Missed where the OP stated he/she was "caught off guard". Brochures are available at a central desk in many of these non club affiliated clinics. Some of them are held in stadiums or indoor facilities. OP also didn't say they were the ONLY couple approached. And how on earth do you expect OP to know how the other parents felt about being approached? OP did not say no one else was approached; but rather that they didn't know.

You make huge assumptions claiming to know everyone's motive but you rarely make sense yourself. I said this the last time I posted which was about 9 months ago, you have OCD. You need help.

It was a good topic to discuss as there ARE a few of these agencies cropping up/emailing parents/and trying to get business.

Comment

Missed where the OP stated he/she was "caught off guard". Brochures are available at a central desk in many of these non club affiliated clinics. Some of them are held in stadiums or indoor facilities. OP also didn't say they were the ONLY couple approached. And how on earth do you expect OP to know how the other parents felt about being approached? OP did not say no one else was approached; but rather that they didn't know.

You make huge assumptions claiming to know everyone's motive but you rarely make sense yourself. I said this the last time I posted which was about 9 months ago, you have OCD. You need help.

It was a good topic to discuss as there ARE a few of these agencies cropping up/emailing parents/and trying to get business.
      Thanks, BTDT. The story makes no sense, period. And if you think you can dx OCD from an anonymous board like this then you have even more serious issues. "How on earth" would they know how other parents felt? You mean the relations within your club are so bad parents don't talk to each other? Parents don't notice if a couple of guys from a recruiting service ignore everyone else and make a beeline for one family, not to mention how economically poor a decision that would be. And if they weren't taken off guard and already were so familiar with the many similar outfits in the region then why did they need to come on TS and ask so naively whether there is any merit to such offerings? Use some logic for just once. If you think a topic is worth discussing, just come out and state that you are offering a fictional scenario for purposes of discussion. Simple.

Comment

Thanks, BTDT. The story makes no sense, period. And if you think you can dx OCD from an anonymous board like this then you have even more serious issues. "How on earth" would they know how other parents felt? You mean the relations within your club are so bad parents don't talk to each other? Parents don't notice if a couple of guys from a recruiting service ignore everyone else and make a beeline for one family, not to mention how economically poor a decision that would be. And if they weren't taken off guard and already were so familiar with the many similar outfits in the region then why did they need to come on TS and ask so naively whether there is any merit to such offerings? Use some logic for just once. If you think a topic is worth discussing, just come out and state that you are offering a fictional scenario for purposes of discussion. Simple.
        and the obsession continues

Comment

and the obsession continues
          Yes, here you are again BTDT, 24/7/365. What a legacy. Epic, you might say.

Comment

Gotta love Perspective. Stars embarrass themselves this weekend and he's still here trying to blame BTDT for it. What a loon.

Comment

Gotta love Perspective. Stars embarrass themselves this weekend and he's still here trying to blame BTDT for it. What a loon.
              And look who keeps posting about it. Take a lunch break, BTDT. The threads will still be here when you get back and you can keep posting to your heart's content.

Comment

You are painting a fictional scenario in your own massive head and arguing with no one who cares.

Comment

You are painting a fictional scenario in your own massive head and arguing with no one who cares.
                  Apparently you cared. As always. And how do you presume to speak for everyone else? Just like you presume to tell everyone else what they should do.

Comment

Had a very similar thing happen in the finals of a tournament over Labor Day. Guy with a ipad recording the game. At halftime, saw him asking who's parents were #X. Parents pointed in our direction. A bit embarrassing with the other parents and of course flattering at the same time. Gave us a similar spiel. Said he wanted to meet. Gave us his card. He actually followed up with an email a couple days later. I'm skeptical by nature so I looked up the agency and also asked our DOC about it. His profile and photo were displayed on the agency website. Profile talked about "association" with Sporting KC and a couple colleges. It was legit but it was simply a marketing/biz development effort. I doubt his connections were that strong. I never followed up and and let it die. Sorry to burst bubbles but these things actually do happen - we are u12 boys, btw.

Comment

Had a very similar thing happen in the finals of a tournament over Labor Day. Guy with a ipad recording the game. At halftime, saw him asking who's parents were #X. Parents pointed in our direction. A bit embarrassing with the other parents and of course flattering at the same time. Gave us a similar spiel. Said he wanted to meet. Gave us his card. He actually followed up with an email a couple days later. I'm skeptical by nature so I looked up the agency and also asked our DOC about it. His profile and photo were displayed on the agency website. Profile talked about "association" with Sporting KC and a couple colleges. It was legit but it was simply a marketing/biz development effort. I doubt his connections were that strong. I never followed up and and let it die. Sorry to burst bubbles but these things actually do happen - we are u12 boys, btw.
                      FWIW, your story (whether true or not) is 10 times more believable because it actually has a spot of detail. The other story was concocted, as thread starters often are.

Comment

That's the problem when you see ghosts around ever corner. Nothing seems real.

Comment

That's the problem when you see ghosts around ever corner. Nothing seems real.
                          You tell 'em, BTNT!

Comment

FWIW, your story (whether true or not) is 10 times more believable because it actually has a spot of detail. The other story was concocted, as thread starters often are.
                            1) Sorry for the grammatical mistakes "who's" and "a". There are probably others.

2) I found the biz card. The firm is "National Scouting Report". Here's the guy I spoke with:
                            https://www.linkedin.com/in/mariomarquez2006

As you can see, kind of a second "for profit" job. ...at least he had a little background in soccer and scouting.

Comment

1) Sorry for the grammatical mistakes "who's" and "a". There are probably others.

2) I found the biz card. The firm is "National Scouting Report". Here's the guy I spoke with:
                              https://www.linkedin.com/in/mariomarquez2006

As you can see, kind of a second "for profit" job. ...at least he had a little background in soccer and scouting.
                              Hmmm....interesting. Why don't you post the email and links to the actual agency. Maybe some would be interested.

Comment

Hmmm....interesting. Why don't you post the email and links to the actual agency. Maybe some would be interested.
                                OK. I'll bite...

Hi, Mr. and Mrs. XXX. Mario Marquez here, NSR Houston Area Soccer Scout.
                                It was a pleasure to meet you at the Houston Labor Day Cup 2014, and I
                                hope that this message finds you well.

Further to the scouting of your son XXX on Monday September 1st, I
                                propose that we meet in the evening of Friday September 12th for the
                                formal interview and pre-screening of XXX -in your presence- for
                                eligibility as a college soccer prospect. Would that be convenient for
                                you? If so, at what time?

At the interview I'll seek to understand how XXX is doing in school,
                                how far he would like to go in soccer, and what the family's plan is for
                                his higher education.

May you have a good rest of the week. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Mario Marquez
                                Houston Area Soccer Scout
                                NSR, www.nsr-inc.com

NSR Profile: http://www.nsr-inc.com/lancemoss/scouts.php
                                NSR Soccer Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/NSRSoccer
                                LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/mariomarquez2006

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X