Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anyone On This Forum Actually Watch Soccer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Of course we do! Where do you think we learned "BOOT IT!", "Handball!", "All Ball, Ref!", "Get it Out!", "Unlucky!!!"?

They don't teach you this stuff in american schools, sir! : -)
    Mostly scorpions and nefc boys coaches on here, so yes you right, most people on here kno nothing about soccer

Comment

Dont confuse knowledge of the game of soccer with knowledge of the soccer system in the US. I agree that many of the folks that are presently navigating the soccer system in the US have little real understanding of the game itself, for many of the reasons stated above. However, there is quite a bit of knowledge about US soccer as a system - the clubs, the leagues, the local issues that affect our kids, the process for getting ID'd, for how to work the way up from travel to club to HS to college. If you read through the BS, personal vendettas and obvious trolling on this site, there's lots of decent information about many of these topics. Just don't expect much about the playing of the sport itself.
      In most ways it's easier to navigate the system than to truly learn the game. Figuring the system takes a bit of research, mastering the nuances of the sport takes years

Comment

Mostly scorpions and nefc boys coaches on here, so yes you right, most people on here kno nothing about soccer
        Lol

So that is why the level of ignorance and incompetence is stupefying.

Comment

Told a parent this before and they politely said we will have to agree to disagree.... some kids just have it and don't need to watch to become better. while it maybe true, i can't see how it would hurt to make them better.... smh
          Totally disagree. For a number of reasons. Truly loving the game is an inherent factor in becoming a competent player. This may take a few years to manifest itself but eventually it does. Second point: watching the game is very important because players begin to see tactical decisions and how the best in the world make them.

Take for example what the NHL does with it's young players. Unless they are a Lemieux or Crosby, most young players will spend some time in the pressbox watching games with a coach or other players. Coaches and GM's do this because the game looks different from above. You see things that you don't see on the field. Developing a birds-eye understanding that you can apply at field level has enormous benefits. I am not saying that your kid has to watch every game but I think there is a significant benefit to watching a few per week. - Cujo

Comment

Told a parent this before and they politely said we will have to agree to disagree.... some kids just have it and don't need to watch to become better. while it maybe true, i can't see how it would hurt to make them better.... smh
            Are you the parent of the two year old that was described in Saturday's ESPN article about youth sports? The one who remarked to his wife after watching his son play for a few minutes "we've got something here..."......

I just bet your kid happens to be one of the ones that "has it"... what a douche...

Comment

Totally disagree. For a number of reasons. Truly loving the game is an inherent factor in becoming a competent player. This may take a few years to manifest itself but eventually it does. Second point: watching the game is very important because players begin to see tactical decisions and how the best in the world make them.

Take for example what the NHL does with it's young players. Unless they are a Lemieux or Crosby, most young players will spend some time in the pressbox watching games with a coach or other players. Coaches and GM's do this because the game looks different from above. You see things that you don't see on the field. Developing a birds-eye understanding that you can apply at field level has enormous benefits. I am not saying that your kid has to watch every game but I think there is a significant benefit to watching a few per week. - Cujo
              and i agree with what was said here. I may not have been clear in my post but i was the parent saying that kids should be watching whatever sport (in this case soccer) to learn how to be a better player. The OTHER parent disagreed saying that kids like theirs just "have it" and they don't necessarily need to watch to learn how to be good players.

As to the other poster... my kid being the 2 year old in the new. I must have missed that news article and not mine..... nope sorry my kid loves to play the sport as well as loves to watch and is not anywhere near being the best on a team, let alone news worthy. I'll encourage them and enjoy watching them play.

Comment

I usually watch the English Premier League but I recently tried watching the MLS this past summer and I couldn't watch it. The quality of play is so low and it's annoying to watch to be completely frank.

I wish some EPL games were at better times and not so early because Europe soccer is the best soccer to watch
                If you have Comcast/Xfinity, you can watch EPL games on demand. You don't even need to remember to record it; they make the games available from the On Demand menu for several days after they're played. Likewise you can stream any of the EPL fixtures from the previous week at your convenience using the NBC Live Extra website or mobile app, provided you have a decently fast connection, and can supply log in credentials for one of their partner services (Comcast, Dish, etc.)

I agree that once you've grown accustomed to watching EPL and La Liga, MLS is a poor substitute. Too bad, but that's the truth of it.

Comment

If you have Comcast/Xfinity, you can watch EPL games on demand. You don't even need to remember to record it; they make the games available from the On Demand menu for several days after they're played. Likewise you can stream any of the EPL fixtures from the previous week at your convenience using the NBC Live Extra website or mobile app, provided you have a decently fast connection, and can supply log in credentials for one of their partner services (Comcast, Dish, etc.)

I agree that once you've grown accustomed to watching EPL and La Liga, MLS is a poor substitute. Too bad, but that's the truth of it.
                  I watch the Revs because I have a rooting interest in that they are the local team. Same reason I go up and watch the Portland SeaDogs ball team several times per year. Second rate league - Cujo

Comment

I watch the Revs because I have a rooting interest in that they are the local team. Same reason I go up and watch the Portland SeaDogs ball team several times per year. Second rate league - Cujo
                    You are the exception, not the rule. But then again, I think everyone here kinda knew that.

Comment

You are the exception, not the rule. But then again, I think everyone here kinda knew that.
                      Have to agree with Cujo on both points - it's important to support the local teams if you want the sport to grow - and that MLS is not as "good" as EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A, etc.

Pretty obvious the money is MUCH smaller, MLS might be more comparable to Scots Premier, or Championship, or Serie B - in terms of attendance, budgets, quality.

Comment

Does anyone on this forum actually watch English and European soccer? Or even MLS for that matter?

I can't seem to have an intelligent conversation about soccer on this forum. It's all about which of the two already bad clubs are worse.
                        Want a thread guaranteed to get no responses here? Start one about the men's national team. That tells me all I need to know about the actual interest level of soccer here. This site is primarily for parents who can't afford to go to a psychologist to explain why no one but them knows how extraordinary their child and their team is.

Comment

DVR is set for Barcelona v Man City today. Kids and I will be watching it end to end after dinner. Doesn't get much better in the champions league than this matchup.

Comment

Well, not supporting the team is not going to help matters. Even EPL teams that over the years have been relegated all the way down to 3rd division and below have loyal fans bases. Does it do any harm to support them? They turn out 13,000 to the stadium and have another 30k to 40k watching games on cable. - Cujo

Comment

Want a thread guaranteed to get no responses here? Start one about the men's national team. That tells me all I need to know about the actual interest level of soccer here. This site is primarily for parents who can't afford to go to a psychologist to explain why no one but them knows how extraordinary their child and their team is.
                              Like the "my child is so good he doesn't need to watch high level soccer" guy..... sheesh...

- Cujo

Comment

And yet here you are ...

I will also be watching the CL match up today. Great match-up! I also support the Revs and although we all know the product isn't as amazing at the the European leagues, it awesome that we can support the local team and players and then go see them live. Its what actualy hooked my kids into watching soccer instead of just playing soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X