Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the college letter of intent the 'worst contract in American sports'?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real story. Needham kid from a few years ago. Borderline D1/D3. Chooses a top NESCAC school. He excels on the field and becomes captain of soccer team.

Gets hired by Wall Street right out of school. Happy and successful.

I do not think he cares that he did not play D1

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Real story. Needham kid from a few years ago. Borderline D1/D3. Chooses a top NESCAC school. He excels on the field and becomes captain of soccer team.

Gets hired by Wall Street right out of school. Happy and successful.

I do not think he cares that he did not play D1
      I can tell you with certainty that the distinction was lost on JP Morgan.

Comment

Goldman Sachs loves H-Y-P and Amherst-Williams athletes, particularly captains. It's a huge plus in their recruiting, and offsets substantially lower GPAs.

Comment

There is more to it than that. Perspective wants to push his nose into it. Wants to hear him make the confession that he's been wrong, been a bad father, been a bad member of the community, etc, etc. He's jealous of the true D1 talent just like BTDT is jealous of other people's post-college prospects. Not that he's behind, mind you. He just thought that he was ahead.
          No there really isn't much more than the simple statement that Perspective is just plain old jealous. This is all about Perspective trying to live his life through his kids and prove his self worth by their accomplishments. We are all proud of our kids but have you ever seen such insecurity before?

Comment

Goldman Sachs loves H-Y-P and Amherst-Williams athletes, particularly captains. It's a huge plus in their recruiting, and offsets substantially lower GPAs.
            So does your kid making money like a whore somehow justify your wife being a lush and you being an all around douche?

Comment

So does your kid making money like a whore somehow justify your wife being a lush and you being an all around douche?
              How much are we talking about?

Comment

No there really isn't much more than the simple statement that Perspective is just plain old jealous. This is all about Perspective trying to live his life through his kids and prove his self worth by their accomplishments. We are all proud of our kids but have you ever seen such insecurity before?
                I don't think Perspective is very jealous. I cannot stand the Perspective persona on these threads because he is so consumed by hatred of beentheredonethat. Every once in a while you get a very substantive (often very extended) response on the merits but 90% of the time is spent BTDT-hunting and trying to resurrect the traces of some long ago argument the two shared - often with a completely new respondent who has no idea what he's stepped into.

Perspective comes from the old sell-out hippy culture that made sure the kids still went to the very best and most elite, most clubby schools in the country all while professing their progressive egalitarian gobbledygook. Liberal with a golden parachute in case push came to shove.

Of course anyone would wish their kid was a tick more talented and I presume Perspective did too but I think the culture he comes from doesn't particularly idolize athletics. Just a Kennedy football kind of athleticism - enough to prove you are a vigorous male and then back to manipulating the levers of power. For him, Tufts or Bowdoin was a spectacular result and I doubt he wishes his kid could have played soccer for UMass or BU.

BTDT represents an archetypal nemesis for Perspective. Culturally, new money. Driven by dreams of merit-based accomplishment in the most meritocratic of all arenas - the sports field. Non-intellectual. Maybe anti-intellectual. Conservative in bearing and views. He is bent on creating an accepted notion of the "true" "elite" "talent". It's not just a theoretical endeavor. He is dying for people to think that he has a good player in his house. Not just good. "true" "elite" "talent". Something categorically different from what you have all seen on the sports fields since U10. A touch of magic fairy dust, the favor of the gods, that ineffable "it" factor. This guy has read Atlas Shrugged 4 times and man does he get it. Probably helped kickstarter the 3rd movie version. This radical merit is going to cut through all of the antique red tape and byzantine establishment constraints to emerge, god-like, atop the pile of rubble. The broken bodies of NESCAC and Ivy grads littering the field or stumbling about, dazed and confused. Robespierre to Perspective's ancient regime.

Both have too much time on their hands so every time you check in to TS on your lunch break or riding the train home from work you see the charred remains of a thread that seemed like it might have been interesting. Perspective and BTDT locked in combat (or Perspective locked in combat with someone who had the intellectual scent of BTDT). The twin nuisances of TS.

Comment

What is there to be "jealous" about--except for parents overly impressed by youth and college soccer exploits? You know, the kind of parents who are convinced that the rest of the soccer world must be jealous because we all know that the stakes for soccer, especially on the girls' side, are so high.

Comment

I don't think Perspective is very jealous. I cannot stand the Perspective persona on these threads because he is so consumed by hatred of beentheredonethat. Every once in a while you get a very substantive (often very extended) response on the merits but 90% of the time is spent BTDT-hunting and trying to resurrect the traces of some long ago argument the two shared - often with a completely new respondent who has no idea what he's stepped into.

This!

Comment

Non-intellectual. Maybe anti-intellectual. Conservative in bearing and views. He is bent on creating an accepted notion of the "true" "elite" "talent". It's not just a theoretical endeavor. He is dying for people to think that he has a good player in his house. Not just good. "true" "elite" "talent". Something categorically different from what you have all seen on the sports fields since U10. A touch of magic fairy dust, the favor of the gods, that ineffable "it" factor. This guy has read Atlas Shrugged 4 times and man does he get it. Probably helped kickstarter the 3rd movie version. This radical merit is going to cut through all of the antique red tape and byzantine establishment constraints to emerge, god-like, atop the pile of rubble. The broken bodies of NESCAC and Ivy grads littering the field or stumbling about, dazed and confused.
                      ^^^This!

Comment

Both have too much time on their hands so every time you check in to TS on your lunch break or riding the train home from work you see the charred remains of a thread that seemed like it might have been interesting. Perspective and BTDT locked in combat (or Perspective locked in combat with someone who had the intellectual scent of BTDT). The twin nuisances of TS.
                        or perhaps the answer is much more simple that people like to screw with Perspective because he is so easy to rile up. I know that I do. You also don't account for people like me that are angry with Perspective for taking over the forum and stopping just about conversation here except what he writes about BTDT.

Comment

Perspective comes from the old sell-out hippy culture that made sure the kids still went to the very best and most elite, most clubby schools in the country all while professing their progressive egalitarian gobbledygook. Liberal with a golden parachute in case push came to shove.

Of course anyone would wish their kid was a tick more talented and I presume Perspective did too but I think the culture he comes from doesn't particularly idolize athletics. Just a Kennedy football kind of athleticism - enough to prove you are a vigorous male and then back to manipulating the levers of power. For him, Tufts or Bowdoin was a spectacular result and I doubt he wishes his kid could have played soccer for UMass or BU.

BTDT represents an archetypal nemesis for Perspective. Culturally, new money. Driven by dreams of merit-based accomplishment in the most meritocratic of all arenas - the sports field. Non-intellectual. Maybe anti-intellectual. Conservative in bearing and views. He is bent on creating an accepted notion of the "true" "elite" "talent". It's not just a theoretical endeavor. He is dying for people to think that he has a good player in his house. Not just good. "true" "elite" "talent". Something categorically different from what you have all seen on the sports fields since U10. A touch of magic fairy dust, the favor of the gods, that ineffable "it" factor. This guy has read Atlas Shrugged 4 times and man does he get it. Probably helped kickstarter the 3rd movie version. This radical merit is going to cut through all of the antique red tape and byzantine establishment constraints to emerge, god-like, atop the pile of rubble. The broken bodies of NESCAC and Ivy grads littering the field or stumbling about, dazed and confused. Robespierre to Perspective's ancient regime.

You, sir, win the internet today! I really enjoyed the writing in this post.
                          That is all.

Comment

If you don't say so yourself. What a tool.

Comment

This was very entertaining, and certainly well written. Very nice facility with words. Also some grains of truth but mostly wrong, at least with respect to Perspective.

You are correct that there is no jealousy. I have never envied the real superstars, and I have never thought those kids should go D3. I have no resentment abuot how things worked out for my kid. For us, the result was beyond what we would have imagined, and in that sense, from our point of view, "spectacular." We have no need to begrudge the good outcomes of others.

That said, I am far from a blue blood or Kennedyesque. Both of my parents were from Appalachia and middle class relative to Appalachia standards. Both went to college and landed in better environs, one becoming a physician and the other a social worker. So our money was "new" as well.

I also have no problem at all admitting to some elitism, but my brand is typically distorted here to say the least. Just because I know a lot about colleges doesn't make me an ultra-elitist, nor I do I advocate for kids attending colleges well above their punching weight. That's part of the reason why I have often focused on under-the-radar gems. It is true that I do not agree with underselling a kid 3-4 tiers below his or her ability.

And just to be clear about my exact position on this...IF I had a legit D1 athlete (who also was a top-end student) I would not encourage him or her to go to even the most elite of D3s. I can't say I wouldn't be seduced by the Ivies, but I more likely would push for more athletic, non-Ivy excellent academic D1 choices.

-- Perspective

Comment

Keep stroking your ego and eventually maybe somebody WILL agree

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X