Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joining DAP at older age groups

Perhaps it's a little too soon to be asking this question, since the U13/14 DAP group is so new and the U12s haven't kicked off yet, but I'm wondering how much of a disadvantage it would be for a kid to wait until U15/16 to try-out for one of the DAP teams (we're excluding Revs in this conversation).

It looks like the U13/14 and pre-academy kids are bearing most of the cost burdens in the system and I'm assuming the U12s will follow suit. On top of the huge expense, the travel seems fairly excessive for kids at these younger age groups. Because of these two issues, it may follow that these teams are probably not composed of the best players in the region, but rather the players whose families can pay and feel the travel time does not adversely affect their kid or family.

Our kid has a couple years still until we need to make this decision, although closing in more quickly once U12s are added, but we were originally thinking to have him play at NEP level at one of the DAP clubs through U13/14, and then if he's good enough and has the desire he can tryout for U15/16 DAP, only missing out on 2 years of supposedly superior DAP training. But now with the additions of the U12s, he'll be missing out on 3+ years of this training.

So a few questions:

Is there really a huge difference between the training one would receive on the younger aged DAP teams as opposed to the NEP teams in the same club?

Is my assumption accurate that there won't be that big of a difference between the skill level of the players on the DAP and NEP teams at the younger ages due to cost/travel issues mentioned above, so there isn't an issue of missing out on playing with the best of the best players in the area?

Are NEP teams at DAP clubs much lower quality than NEP teams at non-DAP clubs, due to DAP taking all the top players, essentially making NEP the B team? Having him on the NEP team at the DAP club would get him on the clubs radar for future DAP consideration, but perhaps if their NEP team has lower quality players, the benefit if nullified.

These younger DAP teams are obviously going to be playing against much better competition than the NEP teams. How much weight would you place on that (noting that they are often getting crushed every week, at least this year)?

Obviously, if my kid happens to be a stellar player, they'll take him on the U15/16 DAP team even if he hasn't been in the system previously. But if he's middle of the pack, is it correct to assume they'll take a kid whose been paying into the DAP system and making the travel commitment for the past four years over my kid, even if my kid has a slight edge (or even a pretty obvious edge).

Any predictions on the % split between kids coming through the DAP system ranks as opposed to newcomers on the U15/16 roster about five years out (some of you are prescient out there, right)?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Perhaps it's a little too soon to be asking this question, since the U13/14 DAP group is so new and the U12s haven't kicked off yet, but I'm wondering how much of a disadvantage it would be for a kid to wait until U15/16 to try-out for one of the DAP teams (we're excluding Revs in this conversation).

It looks like the U13/14 and pre-academy kids are bearing most of the cost burdens in the system and I'm assuming the U12s will follow suit. On top of the huge expense, the travel seems fairly excessive for kids at these younger age groups. Because of these two issues, it may follow that these teams are probably not composed of the best players in the region, but rather the players whose families can pay and feel the travel time does not adversely affect their kid or family.

Our kid has a couple years still until we need to make this decision, although closing in more quickly once U12s are added, but we were originally thinking to have him play at NEP level at one of the DAP clubs through U13/14, and then if he's good enough and has the desire he can tryout for U15/16 DAP, only missing out on 2 years of supposedly superior DAP training. But now with the additions of the U12s, he'll be missing out on 3+ years of this training.

So a few questions:

Is there really a huge difference between the training one would receive on the younger aged DAP teams as opposed to the NEP teams in the same club?

Is my assumption accurate that there won't be that big of a difference between the skill level of the players on the DAP and NEP teams at the younger ages due to cost/travel issues mentioned above, so there isn't an issue of missing out on playing with the best of the best players in the area?

Are NEP teams at DAP clubs much lower quality than NEP teams at non-DAP clubs, due to DAP taking all the top players, essentially making NEP the B team? Having him on the NEP team at the DAP club would get him on the clubs radar for future DAP consideration, but perhaps if their NEP team has lower quality players, the benefit if nullified.

These younger DAP teams are obviously going to be playing against much better competition than the NEP teams. How much weight would you place on that (noting that they are often getting crushed every week, at least this year)?

Obviously, if my kid happens to be a stellar player, they'll take him on the U15/16 DAP team even if he hasn't been in the system previously. But if he's middle of the pack, is it correct to assume they'll take a kid whose been paying into the DAP system and making the travel commitment for the past four years over my kid, even if my kid has a slight edge (or even a pretty obvious edge).

Any predictions on the % split between kids coming through the DAP system ranks as opposed to newcomers on the U15/16 roster about five years out (some of you are prescient out there, right)?
    Unless he's a standout it's very very subjective who is better and position plays a role too- coaches usually err on the tried and proven

Comment

He's still young - bodies change, kids' interests change. Unless he's clamoring to go that early I'd wait until at least U13/14. Make sure he's playing on a good team with good coaching that will develop hims as a player. If he's got the goods and the drive he'll make it.

Comment

Revs U14 are 10-3-0
        Bolts U14 are 7-4-3

I wouldn't say either is getting crushed every week.

Comment

Revs U14 are 10-3-0
          Bolts U14 are 7-4-3

I wouldn't say either is getting crushed every week.

As I mentioned in my original post, we're just talking Bolts/Seacoast (live in Andover area, so right in between). And I stand corrected on the Bolts record, they are doing much better than I'd realized.

Comment

Our kid has a couple years still until we need to make this decision, although closing in more quickly once U12s are added)
            So he's what - ten, eleven years old? Don't rush it/push it. Find a good development club and see where he's at in a few years. He might not even be playing or has been surpassed physically by his peers s they hit puberty.

This is part of the problem with DAP going younger and younger. Parents feel the need to get their kids "in early" so they have a better chance of staying when it becomes more critical in the HS years. I believe development in the US lacks at the younger ages and the younger you develop proper skills the better. But where will the race to "get in early" go? U8?

Comment

So he's what - ten, eleven years old? Don't rush it/push it. Find a good development club and see where he's at in a few years. He might not even be playing or has been surpassed physically by his peers s they hit puberty.

This is part of the problem with DAP going younger and younger. Parents feel the need to get their kids "in early" so they have a better chance of staying when it becomes more critical in the HS years. I believe development in the US lacks at the younger ages and the younger you develop proper skills the better. But where will the race to "get in early" go? U8?
              OP here. Completely agree with this, which is why we are inclined to wait until U15/16 and then take a look at where he's at. Just wanted to check if anyone had solid argument as to why waiting might be a mistake, so we could take that into consideration, as well.

Comment

OP here. Completely agree with this, which is why we are inclined to wait until U15/16 and then take a look at where he's at. Just wanted to check if anyone had solid argument as to why waiting might be a mistake, so we could take that into consideration, as well.
                Other OP here lol. I didn't mean to come across as too harsh but I've seen a lot of kids burn out when pushed too hard too early. If he's got the passion and skills in a few years he'll be just fine. Or he might take up LAX or who knows what else!

Comment

He's still young - bodies change, kids' interests change. Unless he's clamoring to go that early I'd wait until at least U13/14. Make sure he's playing on a good team with good coaching that will develop hims as a player. If he's got the goods and the drive he'll make it.
                  Master the ball first. Even at 10 or 11 he/she should be able to comfortably juggle to 200+ without breaking a sweat. Worry about that first.

Comment

Master the ball first. Even at 10 or 11 he/she should be able to comfortably juggle to 200+ without breaking a sweat. Worry about that first.
                    I know this is a joke, but never really understood the emphasis placed on juggling. It's cool and all, but you can have a great first touch and quickness on the ball without being able to juggle 200+ times, and it certainly has nothing to do with having the mind for the game

Comment

I know this is a joke, but never really understood the emphasis placed on juggling. It's cool and all, but you can have a great first touch and quickness on the ball without being able to juggle 200+ times, and it certainly has nothing to do with having the mind for the game
                      It isn't the focus but part of ball mastery. If you can master the ball on the ground you should be able to do so in the air. It's just another surface part of the foot. Show me a great soccer player who cannot juggle the ball. It isn't the sole focus but comes with spending time to master it with all surfaces and not just on the ground. Just my opinion obviously.

Comment

Take out the mystery.
                        Go watch the teams he potentially would play for. Make whatever assessment you can of the coaching and how you think your son would fare. And how does it compare to his current team and coaching? Maybe go to a several games. You are talking about a big investment in terms of money and time. If you won't make the time to investigate now, you'll probably regret your decision later.

Comment

Then he can become one of the pregame show people showing off his juggling skills.

Comment

Yup. Don't spend too much time juggling. Neat trick but time better sent learning to receive and distribute balls of varying weight from feet up to head. Y'know. The stuff you see in games. Not quite sure the last time I saw Messi juggle 200+ times before shooting.

Comment

Yup. Don't spend too much time juggling. Neat trick but time better sent learning to receive and distribute balls of varying weight from feet up to head. Y'know. The stuff you see in games. Not quite sure the last time I saw Messi juggle 200+ times before shooting.
                              True, but guaranteed Messi can juggle 200 times in his sleep

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X