Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: The NCAA (HBO)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: The NCAA (HBO)

Saw this on a friends Facebook page and thought it would be fodder for some interesting discussion

https://youtu.be/pX8BXH3SJn0

They say kids in Europe are exploited for football BUT at least they get paid. Americans don't pay their top young athletes and scam them through the coy of "amateurism"

It's far worse in America my friends. Colleges and the top are making billions of dollars through exploiting this young kids even as high school freshmen are sought out for these top div1 revenue sports.

Comment

The NCAA is the most corrupt organization in the world! Even more than FIFA and that's saying something

Comment

Another difference is that in Europe college is free or far more economical than here. Players don't have the same pressures to use sports scholarships as the only way to afford a college education. Some take a shot at the pro level at a younger age because they can go back and get a degree later without going bankrupt. People outside shoot back "but they're getting a free education." Well, most athletes aren't getting full rides or anything close, and half off a school that costs $60k is still a great deal of money. Athletes are sacrificing a great deal to participate, and in the end many don't even graduate or their "sports marketing degrees" are useless. Then there's the kids who get cut it or get injured or flunk out...

It really is a vile system, especially for the big money making football and basketball programs. The amount of money schools, networks, etc. make is larger than the economies of some countries.

Comment

America is the most corrupt country in the world. We are the true terrorists and the biggest hypocrites.

No wonder the rest of the world just ridicules us.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            America is the most corrupt country in the world. We are the true terrorists and the biggest hypocrites.

No wonder the rest of the world just ridicules us.
            Spoken like a true liberal. You should be proud.

Comment

Spoken like a true liberal. You should be proud.
              If you can't see that the United States is by far the most corrupt country in the world and the biggest terrorist organization known to man you're just lying to yourself.

No need to bring political alliances in this one. Plain and simple, the people running our country are hypocrites whether they be republican, democrat, liberal or conservative.

Comment

Gotta love the old US of A though cause if we were in the middle east, some extremist government would hack your head off for saying a whole heck of a lot less.

Comment

Gotta love the old US of A though cause if we were in the middle east, some extremist government would hack your head off for saying a whole heck of a lot less.
                  Too bad the same thing happens in the good old US of A. Most of the time you just get exiled and completely banished from society and can't ever return. Or some inhumane methods of torture is distinctly American too I suppose.

Comment

Too bad the same thing happens in the good old US of A. Most of the time you just get exiled and completely banished from society and can't ever return. Or some inhumane methods of torture is distinctly American too I suppose.
                    Oh did I mentioned we're all being monitored by the NSA and the IRS is constantly watching our every move? How about advertising companies? They're viewing every transaction I make on my credit card and analyzing products and entertainment I enjoy the most.

If this is freedom in America, I think freedom has lost all meaning to Americans.

Comment

Former Duke basketball star Grant Hill - an athlete for whom the system worked (great education, great pro career) also questioning the entire system.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6980464.html

Comment

Former Duke basketball star Grant Hill - an athlete for whom the system worked (great education, great pro career) also questioning the entire system.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6980464.html
                        There are tons of current and past NCAA athletes who heavily criticize the system. Most recently former UConn guard Shabazz Napier spoke out and admitted even though he was a star D1 basketball player, there are nights when he was starving and couldn't sleep because of his hunger.

Comment

There are tons of current and past NCAA athletes who heavily criticize the system. Most recently former UConn guard Shabazz Napier spoke out and admitted even though he was a star D1 basketball player, there are nights when he was starving and couldn't sleep because of his hunger.
                          At least they have fixed the food problem - they can have unlimited meal plans. The biggest issue, like Grant Hill said, is how do you make it balanced so that 1) the schools with vast resources and huge programs don't overwhelm the smaller schools and 2)within any given school balance the sports that run in the black (most likely football and basketball since then it's TV money) vs those operating in the red (probably just about anything else). Should a soccer player receive less of a stipend than a basketball player who gets on TV? Their time commitment is similar, they're both committed to their programs and work hard. I don't have any easy answers but the system is out of whack.

Comment

At least they have fixed the food problem - they can have unlimited meal plans. The biggest issue, like Grant Hill said, is how do you make it balanced so that 1) the schools with vast resources and huge programs don't overwhelm the smaller schools and 2)within any given school balance the sports that run in the black (most likely football and basketball since then it's TV money) vs those operating in the red (probably just about anything else). Should a soccer player receive less of a stipend than a basketball player who gets on TV? Their time commitment is similar, they're both committed to their programs and work hard. I don't have any easy answers but the system is out of whack.
                            His concern is just a myth. Think about the athletic complexes that are funded by these spend downs most big time schools are doing to avoid the tax consequences. Even if they paid their athletes they are making more than enough money. Remember that March Madness just pulled in 1 Billion (with a B) for the NCAA and the schools for a couple of weeks worth of activity. The idea that there is any fairness in college sports is a joke. Just look at Kentucky basketball. The real problem is a lot of schools don't hire smart enough people to run their sports business not that they don't make enough money.

Comment

Pay the athletes. A vast majority of them are there to play football or basketball and make money for the school. I don't see any reason not to pay them.

The NCAA will probably cave soon within a few years and resort to paying their athletes eventually. They're making billions of dollars between football and basketball and yet none of the athletes are legally entitled to any of it.

I don't see how they wouldn't end up paying the athletes eventually.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X