Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That's assuming she can make one of their elite teams. You're a little late to the party at U13.
    Another really stupid comment. Late to the party? Are you serious? Teams will take on talented kids all the way up to U17.

To the OP. If the drive is your biggest consideration, you may limit your kid's opportunities. If she just wants to become a better player and doesn't have aspirations of eventually playing in college (which may not even be a thought in her head at this age), staying local is probably fine. But if you an her want play against really good competition driving distances whether it be for practices or games is going to be a requirement. Just my opinion, but don't worry as much about which club you go to. It's really all about the Coaching and training. Some of the larger clubs do really well with training and honestly have some good coaching. The problem that I've had with some of them over the years is the inconsistency with coaches switching out frequently and some of the larger clubs do well at the younger ages (top teams) because they pick all of the bigger and faster (not necessarily skilled) kids for the top team. Smaller clubs have issues as well. Funding being the biggest issue an occasionally turnover in coaching when you have an owner that runs it more like a dictatorship. No perfect answer, but again find a coach that has intense training and is one that has a track record of staying with a team from Ulittle to U18. If you can find a club that has teams at each age group (just 1 that they concentrate on development) that might be your best best. If you go to Got Soccer you can look at the run down of the teams that they have at each age group. If you see a club that has 4 to 5 teams at a age group, I would stay away. Just my opinion, but I've been around the club scene for over 10 years now so I may have a good perspective on thing. NO club or team will be perfect though and it may take you a few tries to find the right fit for your daughter.

Comment

OP..this is the last place you want to come to for advice as people will just bash certain clubs no matter what. Just a bunch of trolls with nothing between the ears who like to pontificate..ignore most of them. The advice about looking on line and maybe reaching out to do some tryouts is a good idea. If you have friends or know people whose opinions you trust ask them if they have gone through the process already. Depending on your daughters goals and what feels right you will find a place that's a good match for you. If your daughter is truly talented, she will find a home on a good team. And tryout season is only about two months away..good luck.

Comment

Classic club soccer sales pitch. Then a parent realizes after the U16 season is over that they have spent a small fortune chasing a dream that has no happy ending. It has nothing to do with nay sayers and everything to do with your kid (not you) waking up in their sophomore-junior year and realizing that they have neither the talent (few do) nor the actual ambition to make soccer anything more than an extra curricular in their life. That realization is not some evil spin put forth by nasty nay sayers, it's real life for 99% of all youth athletes. For some strange reason there are elements (could it be they make there living through club soccer) here that want every youth soccer family to charge hard to the finish line like it is some red badge of courage to finish the race. Well club soccer aint the Boston Marathon with a moral victory at the end so unless you see some compelling reason when your kid is 12-13 years old to invest all of the time and now considerable money chasing a soccer career, you might just want to modulate your expectations. There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing soccer in a venue with much lower expectations and using all of the resources you would have spent on club soccer to support or otherwise build up other parts of your kid's life and then take a killer family vacation not built around soccer. Believe it or not you (and your kids) will end up so far ahead of the fools who follow the sort of advice put forth in the above post it will be almost laughable.
        Classic "I did everything right but my kid didn't get a college scholarship so now I'll rail against the system" response. Everyone's situation is different. Just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it can't work for others. Besides, it's their choice to make. You made yours, let everyone else make theirs.

Comment

Does your child have a friend who's doing this? Or maybe there's a local family whose child is a little older and has gone through this? Or if she's played town soccer, maybe someone from that organization could help? Given your location, you probably can find a more competitive environment within 1/2 hour.

Try it, and then re-visit everything the following year. It's not the club, it's the right team that you have to find. There can be some trial and error. Hopefully on your first try you'll find a team where the kids get along, the training helps, the coach and other parents are supportive, etc.

Comment

If a u13 girl wants to play against some of the best competition in the state, can I stay local (30 minute drive or so) for practice? Out of Taunton Forekicks area. I'm looking at elite clubs and see practices in Lancaster, Marlborough, Braintree. Not sure this seems manageable and thinking maybe staying a top player on a regional team is better for us.. But also wonder if my unwillingness to drive hours on a weeknight will limit her. Anyone know of a close solution?
            The top 4 girls U13 teams in MA are Breakers ECNL(Braintree), SSS Elite (Hingham), NEFC Elite (Taunton & Marlboro?), and Stars ECNL (Lancaster). You're going to be doing some driving if you want your kid playing on a top level team. If your kid is really competitive and wants to try to play top level club soccer and you're both willing to make the commitment why not give it a shot. Good luck!

Comment

No decision made but thanks for the information. I've read enough on this forum to not ask about playing for mid level clubs and college exposure. No debate wanted. We will have to figure out what we are and aren't willing to do to support her goals.

Comment

If you decide you do not want to support your kid, there is always MCLA.

Comment

For all of your insane put downs about the school. Do you even know anything about it?

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...ges/top-public

Comment

No decision made but thanks for the information. I've read enough on this forum to not ask about playing for mid level clubs and college exposure. No debate wanted. We will have to figure out what we are and aren't willing to do to support her goals.
                    Do your due diligence about your options and then take a step back and decide what your family and your daughter are really willing to commit to long term. My daughter moved from a small club to one of the "elite" clubs at U12 and I never would have imagined how it would have taken over our lives. My daughter plays for a top team and it is a full time commitment. My daughter is happy, but there are many days I wish we'd never started down this path.

Comment

For all of your insane put downs about the school. Do you even know anything about it?

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...ges/top-public
                      LOL. Mr. anti-US News and college rankings linking us to US News. Too funny. What tier is it in soccer? How many D1 recruits do you know that chose MCLA over a D1, or for that matter, over any of the other 350 D3s?

Comment

Do your due diligence about your options and then take a step back and decide what your family and your daughter are really willing to commit to long term. My daughter moved from a small club to one of the "elite" clubs at U12 and I never would have imagined how it would have taken over our lives. My daughter plays for a top team and it is a full time commitment. My daughter is happy, but there are many days I wish we'd never started down this path.
                        I'll give you an amen on that one!

Comment

I'll give you an amen on that one!
                          Talking to yourself again. Speaks to the depths of your insanity.

Comment

Talking to yourself again. Speaks to the depths of your insanity.
                            BTNT, why don't you stop for at least 15 minutes and have some dinner? You talking about insanity is the best.

Comment

LOL. Not who you drool for loon. Keep trying though, I enjoy you making a fool out of yourself.

Comment

MCLA has been picking off Williams admits at a 60% clip.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X