• Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son did not start today

Every parent should read this:

http://coachfore.org/2016/01/16/my-s...t-start-today/

Thank you for posting this.

Comment

Should be required reading for parents of competitive athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Love this so much! The parents are the ones who ruin it. The kids in varsity soccer or competitive level soccer know there have to be kids who start on the bench or won't play as much depending on each game. It's the parents who often feel bad for the player or other parents who stereotype the benchwarmers or even the coach who feels bad, when in reality the kids understand and appreciate their role on the team. Everyone always posts the college players will quit when they don't get time on the field and blah blah blah. Many are happy to be a part of the college experience and not always get to travel and start. I've heard of coaches moving the non starters to lower teams where they could get more playing time thinking they were doing the right thing for the kid when the player actually was developing more as a nonstarter on the higher level team. Stop feeling for the kids and let them feel.

Comment

Umm, is it me, or does Nate kind of look like maybe he has some gender identity isssues? I think in a couple years he may be starting on the girls basketball team. How is dad going to "feel" about that?

Comment

Love this so much! The parents are the ones who ruin it. The kids in varsity soccer or competitive level soccer know there have to be kids who start on the bench or won't play as much depending on each game. It's the parents who often feel bad for the player or other parents who stereotype the benchwarmers or even the coach who feels bad, when in reality the kids understand and appreciate their role on the team. Everyone always posts the college players will quit when they don't get time on the field and blah blah blah. Many are happy to be a part of the college experience and not always get to travel and start. I've heard of coaches moving the non starters to lower teams where they could get more playing time thinking they were doing the right thing for the kid when the player actually was developing more as a nonstarter on the higher level team. Stop feeling for the kids and let them feel.
            You are correct. It is always other parents or idiotic coaches that do ruin the game for the players.

Think of the parents who don't like said coach because suddenly their kid isn't playing the position they think they should be.

Think of the coach who plays a guest player from another team and sits a kid who has played all year.... and for a meaningless game. We can all name the names. -- A-holes

Comment

Umm, is it me, or does Nate kind of look like maybe he has some gender identity isssues? I think in a couple years he may be starting on the girls basketball team. How is dad going to "feel" about that?
              Well you never know but it takes young men awhile to mature. Dad sounds like he would be pretty accepting of his kid.

Comment

You are correct. It is always other parents or idiotic coaches that do ruin the game for the players.

Think of the parents who don't like said coach because suddenly their kid isn't playing the position they think they should be.

Think of the coach who plays a guest player from another team and sits a kid who has played all year.... and for a meaningless game. We can all name the names. -- A-holes
                Yep it makes us more resilient!

Comment

I'm going to guess dad coach has his kid playing the entire game at the key position, even though he can't score to save his life.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X