Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Some clubs are charging parents fees if they want to take their kid to a different club. A well known club in SFla is charging $7500.
    What? How is that possibly enforced. That is outrageous.

Comment

Most all clubs have a release fee and if you authorize the registration agreement then you agreed to it so don't complain after th fact. The reason they have this is because if kids can pick up anytime and switch clubs just because they aren't happy with positions or playing time every team would be falling apart it would be like one big rec league

Comment

Most all clubs have a release fee and if you authorize the registration agreement then you agreed to it so don't complain after th fact. The reason they have this is because if kids can pick up anytime and switch clubs just because they aren't happy with positions or playing time every team would be falling apart it would be like one big rec league
        And if the club does not keep up their end of the bargain? What do they have to pay?

Comment

What? How is that possibly enforced. That is outrageous.
          Oh....it's enforced. Papers are signed at the beginning of the year that implicitly state that players leaving prior to the end of the year will need to pay a $7500 release fee. It doesn't even matter if the player is quitting and not moving to another club. Those that fail to pay have a civil suit filed against them.

Comment

Oh....it's enforced. Papers are signed at the beginning of the year that implicitly state that players leaving prior to the end of the year will need to pay a $7500 release fee. It doesn't even matter if the player is quitting and not moving to another club. Those that fail to pay have a civil suit filed against them.
            And what is the club obligation on the other side of the agreement? If they fail to meet their obligation what will they base their suit on or how will they defend against the counter suit? A contract has two sides.

Comment

And if the club does not keep up their end of the bargain? What do they have to pay?
              As with any contract, they would be responsible for whatever your agreement stipulates. Don't you read what you sign? Of course the agreement is usually vague in what they promise, so it would likely be difficult to prove that they didn't fulfill their end. And they would be stupid to agree to any punitive damages since you really have no leverage. However you signed it, so that's on you.

Comment

As with any contract, they would be responsible for whatever your agreement stipulates. Don't you read what you sign? Of course the agreement is usually vague in what they promise, so it would likely be difficult to prove that they didn't fulfill their end. And they would be stupid to agree to any punitive damages since you really have no leverage. However you signed it, so that's on you.
                I guess the club will have to see my little non leveraged self in court.

Comment

No club guarantees anything other than a roster spot. Trust me if your club has a release fee your kid isn't getting released unless you pay the fee and guess what if it's after December 1st the club doesn't even have to release your kid, they can be forced to remain on the team until tryouts. Fact.

Comment

No club guarantees anything other than a roster spot. Trust me if your club has a release fee your kid isn't getting released unless you pay the fee and guess what if it's after December 1st the club doesn't even have to release your kid, they can be forced to remain on the team until tryouts. Fact.
                    That's exactly my point. Read what you agree to. It's virtually all about your commitment to the club, not theirs to you.

Comment

That's exactly my point. Read what you agree to. It's virtually all about your commitment to the club, not theirs to you.
                      What purpose is served by forcing a kid that does not want to be there to be there.

Comment

I guess the club will have to see my little non leveraged self in court.
                        Hahaha, okay Ally McBeal. You take a club to court and sue them for all the playing time they promised you in writing or that your lil Johnny is guaranteed to play forward and score 10 goals this season, etc. I mean as long as you have those promises and guarantees in writing then you have a case.

Of course there are no clubs that put anything like that in writing but the penalty for leaving IS specifically written in the agreement sooooo . . . this should be a pretty short case. You'll pay more in legal fees than the penalty, especially with your baseless "countersuit".

I guess next time get the club to make you written guarantees before you sign anything. Or at least ask them and see what they say.

Comment

What purpose is served by forcing a kid that does not want to be there to be there.
                          The purposed is to fill the club's coffers. It's a business first and foremost. Contracts are specifically vague and favor the club, not the customer. It might only promise a certain number of practices, maybe # of tournaments (but doesn't specify which), and most importantly when your fees are due. No promises on who will coach, often times not even which team your kid will be on (if the club has A/B/C teams). Nebulous things like "they didn't develop my kid" would be tough to prove in court.

That said, if a parent wanted to challenge the club in court they may find a judge sympathetic to their cause, especially for something like the club verbally promised you a licensed coach but delivered a daddy coach. Also, clubs don't want bad publicity. If others find out a club is going after a family for $900 it doesn't look good at all. The only real thing a club can hold over your head is the official release. If you can wait it out until the season is over, most likely they won't pursue it. It isn't worth their time and effort and the blowback could be significant.

Comment

Hahaha, okay Ally McBeal. You take a club to court and sue them for all the playing time they promised you in writing or that your lil Johnny is guaranteed to play forward and score 10 goals this season, etc. I mean as long as you have those promises and guarantees in writing then you have a case.

Of course there are no clubs that put anything like that in writing but the penalty for leaving IS specifically written in the agreement sooooo . . . this should be a pretty short case. You'll pay more in legal fees than the penalty, especially with your baseless "countersuit".

I guess next time get the club to make you written guarantees before you sign anything. Or at least ask them and see what they say.
                            Contracts would fall into small claims court. Clubs aren't going to pay a pricey lawyer to try and get a few hundred or maybe fifteen hundred dollars from a family.

Comment

Contracts would fall into small claims court. Clubs aren't going to pay a pricey lawyer to try and get a few hundred or maybe fifteen hundred dollars from a family.
                              I don't think a $7500 buyout falls under the range allowed in Small Claims Court.

Comment

The purposed is to fill the club's coffers. It's a business first and foremost. Contracts are specifically vague and favor the club, not the customer. It might only promise a certain number of practices, maybe # of tournaments (but doesn't specify which), and most importantly when your fees are due. No promises on who will coach, often times not even which team your kid will be on (if the club has A/B/C teams). Nebulous things like "they didn't develop my kid" would be tough to prove in court.

That said, if a parent wanted to challenge the club in court they may find a judge sympathetic to their cause, especially for something like the club verbally promised you a licensed coach but delivered a daddy coach. Also, clubs don't want bad publicity. If others find out a club is going after a family for $900 it doesn't look good at all. The only real thing a club can hold over your head is the official release. If you can wait it out until the season is over, most likely they won't pursue it. It isn't worth their time and effort and the blowback could be significant.
                                And they will not let a kid play if the parent does not sign that if the kid is an excellent player?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X