Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yes there are those statements, but not surprisingly they are very vague to give teh school a lot of wiggle room - and in fairness to them new circumstances, individual cases will vary so it' not easy to lock in. However in the UCONN case she had no opportunity to plead her case to the school - in such cases where so much was a stake the athlete she be given a fair chance. Coaches hold all the power and the athlete none. She's got a very valid case that other athletes commit criminal acts and aren't punished. It's a bigger issue than just her case but I hope she wins.
    As an example, look at how Florida State University handled Jameis Winston's last 2 years in college. That kid had a flagrant rules violation (including an assault charge) about every 12-weeks that should have resulted in getting kicked off the team/out of school. The coach, athletic department, university administration and local police department all worked together to keep him in school and playing.

Comment

As an example, look at how Florida State University handled Jameis Winston's last 2 years in college. That kid had a flagrant rules violation (including an assault charge) about every 12-weeks that should have resulted in getting kicked off the team/out of school. The coach, athletic department, university administration and local police department all worked together to keep him in school and playing.
      He set the precedent for all athletes at FSU. Just kidding.

Comment

An extreme example but the name Aaron Hernandez comes to mind. Nothing but trouble but everyone looked the other way.

Comment

Interesting stat. I'm not buying it. I know about 30 women who played college sports, and they are all stay at home moms trying to get their kids into college sports. No lie. Maybe the people I know are just a weird non-representative sample. The most successful business women I know gave up sports in college to pursue other things. Anybody have a different experience with actual people they know?

Comment

or they are coaches, not making much money but they love it.

Comment

Interesting stat. I'm not buying it. I know about 30 women who played college sports, and they are all stay at home moms trying to get their kids into college sports. No lie. Maybe the people I know are just a weird non-representative sample. The most successful business women I know gave up sports in college to pursue other things. Anybody have a different experience with actual people they know?
              It does make you wonder because as someone mentioned earlier, so few are able to play sports at the college level and then to be the majority of successful business women.

Comment

It does make you wonder because as someone mentioned earlier, so few are able to play sports at the college level and then to be the majority of successful business women.
                http://www.ey.com/br/pt/about-us/our...ership-network

I clicked around on the web site that references the study and found this link. It's a very rich resource packed with advice for young female athletes. Very well done. It's pretty amazing when you see some of the women that played sports featured on there.

Comment

All depends on how the survey was done and who they surveyed. That said even if the numbers are a bit off the point that playing sports brings many benefits off the field for a lifetime. In the Fortune article one person expressed concerns that so many girls drop out of sports well before high school. Not everyone can or wants to compete at a high level of anything. But parents can help their kids find sports and a level they enjoy

Comment

Also keep in mind, the business women of today had a very different sports experience when they were young than our kids now have. I'm not so sure it's the positive "confidence and team building" experience it once was. But I think any kid that is out doing something, whether it be robotics, sports, music or whatever, and learning to work hard rather than just hang out, is probably being well groomed for more success as an adult. Also, competitive sports (whether at the college level or at younger ages), teach our kids to deal with rejection and disappointment and to come back fighting. I think these days kids experience all of that at the club level without even having to play in college. Many have to fight for play time. Coaches only show them interest when they are playing really well. It feels like a job to them when their parents and coaches demand performance or they get benched or yelled at on the car ride home. So maybe it makes them tougher. But it also destroys the enjoyment of the sport, which is why kids don't want to stick it out. And then maybe they ultimately feel like failures because they can't live up to everyone's expectations to be awesome on the field and get straight A's, etc. We won't know how all of this will effect our kids until they are adults and on their own. I wish a good sports child psychologist could weigh in here, because it worries me sometimes. Sometimes I think many of us didn't get all the training, etc. to be great athletes that we can give our kids, and we wonder what we could have done in our sports if we had been given the same opportunities our kids have. But now so many kids are doing so much training so early - just don't know. Everybody wants to be famous and a superstar these days, and we know the vast vast majority of our kids will not ever achieve that. So hopefully they can still feel good about themselves when they are grown.

Comment

Also keep in mind, the business women of today had a very different sports experience when they were young than our kids now have. I'm not so sure it's the positive "confidence and team building" experience it once was. But I think any kid that is out doing something, whether it be robotics, sports, music or whatever, and learning to work hard rather than just hang out, is probably being well groomed for more success as an adult. Also, competitive sports (whether at the college level or at younger ages), teach our kids to deal with rejection and disappointment and to come back fighting. I think these days kids experience all of that at the club level without even having to play in college. Many have to fight for play time. Coaches only show them interest when they are playing really well. It feels like a job to them when their parents and coaches demand performance or they get benched or yelled at on the car ride home. So maybe it makes them tougher. But it also destroys the enjoyment of the sport, which is why kids don't want to stick it out. And then maybe they ultimately feel like failures because they can't live up to everyone's expectations to be awesome on the field and get straight A's, etc. We won't know how all of this will effect our kids until they are adults and on their own. I wish a good sports child psychologist could weigh in here, because it worries me sometimes. Sometimes I think many of us didn't get all the training, etc. to be great athletes that we can give our kids, and we wonder what we could have done in our sports if we had been given the same opportunities our kids have. But now so many kids are doing so much training so early - just don't know. Everybody wants to be famous and a superstar these days, and we know the vast vast majority of our kids will not ever achieve that. So hopefully they can still feel good about themselves when they are grown.
                      This is a very thoughtful post. The past is different then the present and we don't keep that in perspective. I do know that too often kids today are told they can be anything if they work hard enough, and while that is a good message, kids need so many more life skills.

Comment

When you play college sports there is no time for play outside of school and soccer. It's all work.
                        25% date other team members

Comment

25% date other team members
                          Just do your dating in the locker room. Saves time.

Comment

Just do your dating in the locker room. Saves time.
                            They are just experimenting

Comment

They are just experimenting
                              So am I. With my wife. Going on 30 years of experimenting. Almost got it figured out.

Comment

Lucky you

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X