MLS Draft

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/0...paign=01122017

Former Bolts player is a top prospect
    Congrats to all

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/0...paign=01122017

Former Bolts player is a top prospect
    Congrats to all
    Soccer would attract much more talent if MLS starting salaries were much higher.

Comment

Soccer would attract much more talent if MLS starting salaries were much higher.
      Talent from where? If these kids are talent, go abroad

Comment

Talent from where? If these kids are talent, go abroad
        Yes - like this kid. And he didn't do DA

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91...me-to-rangers/

Comment

Yes - like this kid. And he didn't do DA

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91...me-to-rangers/
          Actually. He did play DA for two different clubs, Dallas Texans and FC Dallas before he moved to Fulham. His grandfather was the coach at FC Dallas

But yes jumping overseas at an early age if possible is a great path to becoming a pro

Comment

Actually. He did play DA for two different clubs, Dallas Texans and FC Dallas before he moved to Fulham. His grandfather was the coach at FC Dallas

But yes jumping overseas at an early age if possible is a great path to becoming a pro
            With the vast majority of young American players blocked from playing in Europe until 18 yrs old now, due to FIFA Article 19, we unfortunately have to rely on on growing players domestically. This is why it is even more important to start building regional residential academies for the very best high school aged players ASAP. DA was a good start and should continue on, especially at the middle school ages, but now the talent needs to be even further concentrated in order to move US soccer to the next level.

Comment

Seems like most of the kids making it overseas from this kid to Pulasic and Perez all had some connection to someone who helped push them through. Anyone know of a kid making it overseas (beside Ben Lederman and John Hilton) that have no connections and are just making it based on talent?

Comment

Seems like most of the kids making it overseas from this kid to Pulasic and Perez all had some connection to someone who helped push them through. Anyone know of a kid making it overseas (beside Ben Lederman and John Hilton) that have no connections and are just making it based on talent?
                It is always about who you know and what connections you can leverage. Always. Doesn't matter if it's soccer, college admissions, jobs, Real Estate, etc. If there is significant competition for something, personal connections will absolutely be a factor.

Ask yourself why it seems top Universities offer spots to Alumni children and relatives? What about references? It's always about the connections. In soccer, if you want to play in Europe and have the skill, you are ShOL until you're 18, unless you have dual citizenship with an EU country, which is all about who your relatives are. Want to get on a coach's radar? Who do you know that has the coach's ear?

We are social beings and social capital is part of life.

Comment

Most unfortunately, this is true - and even more unfortunately it is also true in us college soccer; many players are given opportunities because of their parents friendships and connections - sort of like the rest of life

Comment

Most unfortunately, this is true - and even more unfortunately it is also true in us college soccer; many players are given opportunities because of their parents friendships and connections - sort of like the rest of life
                    Omg, give it a rest Mr. Sour Grapes!😘😘

Comment

Pulisic father was a player at George Mason, indoor soccer pro @ Harrisburg Heat and local club coach. This is not a soccer insider. The father developed his skills and instilled a love of soccer. He also gave him something more valuable a Croatian passport.

Its Pulisics skills that got him on Dortmunds youth and senior not the Harrisburg Heat connections.

Comment

Pulisic father was a player at George Mason, indoor soccer pro @ Harrisburg Heat and local club coach. This is not a soccer insider. The father developed his skills and instilled a love of soccer. He also gave him something more valuable a Croatian passport.

Its Pulisics skills that got him on Dortmunds youth and senior not the Harrisburg Heat connections.
                        He obviously has talent regardless, but the dad was a coach at the PA Classics. If there were opportunities for advancement such as NTC or what not dad could push him through for that. Once the right people took interest in him he took off, but he first had to get his foot through the right door. Dad helped him do that. And now he's helped dad get a job coaching U10 at Dortmund and paved the way for cousin Will.

Comment

Here's another case for getting out of the US - and college soccer - ASAP

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-...tugal_aid40854

U.S. Youth National Team member Stephen Payne has joined Portuguese club Estoril Praia. The 19-year-old signed with Estoril last month on a one-year deal.

“I came to Portugal before preseason at UCLA (in 2015),” Payne told TopDrawerSoccer when asked about how he ended up with Estoril. “There I trialed with a few clubs and the agent who had gotten me the trials saw how I did and wanted to bring me to bigger clubs in Portugal. I had gotten the experience I wanted but thought it would be better to develop for at least one year at UCLA before making the Pro jump.”

As for why Payne left the Bruins after a season, he spoke about the need to get into a professional environment as soon as possible.

“I loved UCLA and the coaches and players are top class,” Payne said. “I’m grateful to everything they have done for me. I decided to leave after one year because I know my goal is to play in Europe and the clubs here are keen on having players as young as possible. My father encouraged me to take the opportunities given to me and see where it takes me. And that how I ended up in Portugal.”

Comment

and another. Cases like these highlight the need to provide opportunities to hot prospects once they graduate HS. Many aren't quite ready to play professionally so they go play in college, which can be a developmental dead end if you stay too long.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/socc...debut-Portugal

On Sept. 4, a Frisco teen made his debut for the first team of Portuguese Second Division side Varzim S.C.

Keaton Parks was substituted on in the 83rd minute in a defeat, but the North Texas native has shown that academy soccer is not required for success. The center-mid played at Frisco Liberty for 3 years, helping the team appear in a regional final in his junior year. Along with high school soccer, Parks played club soccer at a local Liverpool of America team.

Parks’ arrival in Portugal was due to the help of his club coach, who helped the teen obtain trials in the foreign country.

“My club coach used to play professionally in Portugal,” Parks said. “He has a lot of friends on the teams here. The first summer I came here I trained with multiple teams. We met an agent, and he liked us. He helped us get more trials at Benfica, Braga and Sporting Lisbon. Later on in the summer, we came back and played in the Varzim tournament with the Liverpool Warriors, a NPSL side. The club watched us play and liked me from that tournament, and then approached our agent and then I signed for the team in the summer.”

Parks had an offer to play for Southern Methodist University, but when the opportunity of going pro arose, he was forced with a tough decision to make; stay near to home and go to college or to go abroad and become a professional.

Comment

He obviously has talent regardless, but the dad was a coach at the PA Classics. If there were opportunities for advancement such as NTC or what not dad could push him through for that. Once the right people took interest in him he took off, but he first had to get his foot through the right door. Dad helped him do that. And now he's helped dad get a job coaching U10 at Dortmund and paved the way for cousin Will.
                              Stop. Oh please his talent got him in the door. His dad gave him genetics, training and passion. He allowed him to dream and go to Germany

There are plenty of daddy coaches whose kids don't do much. He was at PA Classics for seven years AFTER playing for an English

PS. His talent is much greater than NTC level. That hilarious

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X