X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teenage referee calls for national strike over verbal and physical 'abuse'

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2017...hysical-abuse/

Referees don't need it. As a coach myself, if any of my players say a word to a referee they are immediately substituted. I think the strike would benefit massively and hopefully wake the local leagues up a little bit!
    Even in the EPL, all these players get paid large amounts, and still think it's acceptable to belittle another human who is doing a job.

Good for him. It's an issue that needs attention. Especially at the youth level there's no place for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Good for him. It's an issue that needs attention. Especially at the youth level there's no place for it.
      I agree, and it needs to start at the pro level. Kids are just imitating what they see.

Comment

I agree, and it needs to start at the pro level. Kids are just imitating what they see.
        Yes and in Europe fans are incredibly rude to refs, players, coaches...I've been to several and it is amazing. We have some of it here but no nearly at the same level

Comment

Poor snowflake....

Comment

The refs do not need to strike. The leagues just need to move the spectators back. 10 20 yards. If the soccer complex can not accommodate because of space sorry you just can not watch.

My son has played soccer for 8 years. Took the course became a ref for one year. He did not want to recert because the parents are so bad. He only did rec u10 -u12 games.

No worth the headaches.

Comment

Yes. Go on strike. Then they can all go to their safe place, coddle each other, rub each other's back, and have a good cry. Free ice cream for everyone!

No one, NO ONE, made him become a referee. The environment existed long before. It was not a surprise. Don't like it? Don't do it.

Comment

Yes. Go on strike. Then they can all go to their safe place, coddle each other, rub each other's back, and have a good cry. Free ice cream for everyone!

No one, NO ONE, made him become a referee. The environment existed long before. It was not a surprise. Don't like it? Don't do it.
                This is completely wrong. The environment did NOT exist long before. Youth games today have far more abuse towards refs, including very young refs, at all ages. I notice that teams with coaches that are abusive tend to have parents that are abusive.

The strike (or rather the threat of one) is a GREAT idea. Unless you can think of another ways to force leagues to get parents under control?

Comment

This is completely wrong. The environment did NOT exist long before. Youth games today have far more abuse towards refs, including very young refs, at all ages. I notice that teams with coaches that are abusive tend to have parents that are abusive.

The strike (or rather the threat of one) is a GREAT idea. Unless you can think of another ways to force leagues to get parents under control?
                  A youth referee strike is going to change the way adults act? I think you are being too optimistic of human nature. If someone is an as*hole, they will continue to be an as*hole. No strike is going to change that overnight.

Referees already have tools at their disposal to control the crowd. Having a strike and pouting about it is useless.

Comment

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2017...hysical-abuse/

Referees don't need it. As a coach myself, if any of my players say a word to a referee they are immediately substituted. I think the strike would benefit massively and hopefully wake the local leagues up a little bit!
                    Even in the EPL, all these players get paid large amounts, and still think it's acceptable to belittle another human who is doing a job.

While I agree that something should be done, maybe this kid isn't that great as a referee. In the early part of the piece, he says he has a young son to support. He is 18. So how old was he when he had a kid? That is a terrible decision. Maybe what he does on the field is a carryover?

Comment

Club own the parents

Leagues don't enforce parent behavior per se, it is happening during matches scheduled at Club fields and clubs should have field marshals to control the sidelines. The teams know who the idiot loudmouths are and it is up to the clubs to police their members.

Comment

Just because the environment existed long before does not make it right.

Maybe when I do my FYSA games, I should start kicking out spectators. I will say I am just enforcing the FYSA rules of conduct. Every club, coach, player, and parent agrees to them at the beginning of them each year.

Maybe we should require spectator passes or charge admission to each game. If you played a game at the mouse house, they have no problem kicking out unruly parents and banning them for life. They even have additional security for games known for rowdy fans. Watching a soccer game is a privilege not and entitlement. The contract you sign say nothing about your rights to watch any of the matches. The only thing you sign says you will follow the code of conduct.

What is your solution? You will say it is part of the match. It is not part of the game it is funny watching parents go insane because little Johnnie or Mia go knocked down on the soccer field. But when their player knocks someone down it is just part of the game.

It is the parents and spectators that need to go to their safe place and have an ice cream. Soccer is a contact sport.

The best it the fans that use another language than English. It does not matter what language they use their body language tells me what they are saying.

As a ref, it is my job to control the game and the players on the field. The small percentage of immature idiots are going to end up ruining it for everyone.

Comment

Just because the environment existed long before does not make it right.

Maybe when I do my FYSA games, I should start kicking out spectators. I will say I am just enforcing the FYSA rules of conduct. Every club, coach, player, and parent agrees to them at the beginning of them each year.

Maybe we should require spectator passes or charge admission to each game. If you played a game at the mouse house, they have no problem kicking out unruly parents and banning them for life. They even have additional security for games known for rowdy fans. Watching a soccer game is a privilege not and entitlement. The contract you sign say nothing about your rights to watch any of the matches. The only thing you sign says you will follow the code of conduct.

What is your solution? You will say it is part of the match. It is not part of the game it is funny watching parents go insane because little Johnnie or Mia go knocked down on the soccer field. But when their player knocks someone down it is just part of the game.

It is the parents and spectators that need to go to their safe place and have an ice cream. Soccer is a contact sport.

The best it the fans that use another language than English. It does not matter what language they use their body language tells me what they are saying.

As a ref, it is my job to control the game and the players on the field. The small percentage of immature idiots are going to end up ruining it for everyone.
                          You answered your own question. Use the tools already at your disposal. Unruly spectator? Red card. Abusive coach? Red card. Disrespectful player? Red card. The message will be loud and clear. The tone and attitudes will change instantly.

All of this crap on trying to change how others act and feel is useless. We need to strike, poor me. Bullsh*t. Referee, do your job. Control the game and protect the players.

Comment

Spectators need to remember.

The referee is alway right. As a biased fan, you may not like how the referee interpreted the rules of the game but their decision is the only one that matters.

Just like Hillary supporters did not like Trump winning there is nothing they can do about it.

There will be lots of calls you disagree with just like there are ones you agree with. Once a call is made or not made you just need to move on to the next play. Those calls are in the past no matter how much you scream, whine or jump up or down it will not be changed.

So if you let a youth soccer game get you all fired up grow up and act your age and not your shoe size.

Comment

Poor snowflake....
                              Beware snowflakes. Put enough together you get a blizzard or an avalanche. Might want to chose another pejorative. That one's been over-used to the point of meaninglessness.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X