Virginia GDA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These leagues are practically the same. This bickering is over little. Give us a new localized league without the hotels and planes and rental cars and we will get excited. This is more of the same. The rest of the world is managing without supporting a zillion dollar travel biz on the side.

Comment

In about a year we will all come to grips with eye fact that any quality team at ECNL and NPL basically trained the same amount of time over the course of the year. My D has never been onna team that only trained and played the amount of games as specified in the contract received. There are always opportunities for top players in their clubs plus the coaches assigned to such team look for ways to open the training further, be it scrimmages, a tournament fill for a team that pulled out, internal id camps, etc

I know the calandar for GA looks longer however if any parent reading TS thinks a 4'th training will make any difference in the quality of that player vs 3 practice sessions in a weekly setting.....well your sadly mistaken.

Furthermore, my D always seems to get asked for a winter indoor session here and there. Keep in mind DA rules forbid players to participate in any soccer activities beyond her team other then NT.

Please do not think I'm against DA. Just stating the facts so we all make a informed decision

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Oh please. ECNL and other high end leagues are just as costly.
        So why give up HS sports when for many players ECNL will provide the exposure they desire and at the same price?

Comment

No clue. If you read back to when this program was announced, the big proponents on this board were trying to make the case that it would be less costly, and anyone with half a brain knew that wouldn't be the case.
          And proponents thought it help broaden and diversify the player base

Comment

Well, if he's all for it then I'm in. For sure my kid is just like his, NT and all. Can't wait!
            If they aren't close to that then you truly would be wasting your daughters time and a whole lot of your money.

Comment

The only way it would help broaden the player base is through fully-funded academy so less affluent families with talented players could participate. Not too many of those fully-funded so it is more of the same, ECNL with a different badge.

As far as tryouts go, NEFC started ID'ing girls last February when the birth year change was being pushed. I know that many players were asked to "special" invite-only tryouts for the NPL team and early offers were given, such that by the time open tryouts rolled around, most if not all the slots were taken. This pushed down to the top NEP team in our region, such that with early offers there were few slots left for anyone to get from tryouts.

I imagine most DAP and ECNL slots will be filled by April/May and by the time open tryouts happen in June, the only way you get invited to one of those teams is if you are a stud player stronger than 2/3 of the currently rostered team. Not too worried as my D isn't DAP quality yet, maybe never. With all the movement this year she should be able to find a spot on a decent NPL team.

Comment

If they aren't close to that then you truly would be wasting your daughters time and a whole lot of your money.
                I was joking. She's perfectly happy with her ECNL team and would never give up HS. Getting plenty of good traction with college coaches. She's not NT, never would be, just mid D1. GDA won't flop but it won't be a success either

Comment

No shortage of families with money to waste in youth soccer.

Comment

I was joking. She's perfectly happy with her ECNL team and would never give up HS. Getting plenty of good traction with college coaches. She's not NT, never would be, just mid D1. GDA won't flop but it won't be a success either
                    As evidenced by the above post. As they say there's one born every minute but hey it sure sounds good at the 19th hole.

Comment

So from all the information I have seen and read about GDA, this is how it will broken down to my child if she needs to choose.

GDA vs ECNL

Cost - roughly the same
                      Travel - roughly the same
                      Training - 1 more for GDA
                      Games - More for ECNL
                      HS Soccer - Not allowed by GDA
                      Other Sports - Not allowed by GDA
                      Desired Pathway - to NT for GDA, to college for ECNL

Sorry, but I think GDA will fail to get all the top players the desire and want to market, if the only real payoff is a razor thin sliver of a chance to eventually play for the USWNT. Do I think they will get some, but they will definitely have to fill spots with many 2nd/3rd choices.

Comment

So from all the information I have seen and read about GDA, this is how it will broken down to my child if she needs to choose.

GDA vs ECNL

Cost - roughly the same
                        Travel - roughly the same
                        Training - 1 more for GDA
                        Games - More for ECNL
                        HS Soccer - Not allowed by GDA
                        Other Sports - Not allowed by GDA
                        Desired Pathway - to NT for GDA, to college for ECNL

Sorry, but I think GDA will fail to get all the top players the desire and want to market, if the only real payoff is a razor thin sliver of a chance to eventually play for the USWNT. Do I think they will get some, but they will definitely have to fill spots with many 2nd/3rd choices.
                        Wow, what a lying sack of sh!t Fred is. So desperate to cling on to his ECNL that he just spreads down right lies. The cost parity issue has been debunked ad nsuseum and still he insists on claiming that GDA and the ECNL cost the same. It's just wrong. Where is there any information that says a GDA team is mandated to go to 4 showcases a year like the ECNL clubs are? On top of that the ECNL is now just a home for second and third tier talents and that will radically alter their exposure claims and hence their benefit claims. Basically it's where you put your kid to get recruited by mid to lower tier colleges that only recruit regionally.

Comment

Wow, what a lying sack of sh!t Fred is. So desperate to cling on to his ECNL that he just spreads down right lies. The cost parity issue has been debunked ad nsuseum and still he insists on claiming that GDA and the ECNL cost the same. It's just wrong. Where is there any information that says a GDA team is mandated to go to 4 showcases a year like the ECNL clubs are? On top of that the ECNL is now just a home for second and third tier talents and that will radically alter their exposure claims and hence their benefit claims. Basically it's where you put your kid to get recruited by mid to lower tier colleges that only recruit regionally.
                          And there is the expected BTNT explosion. Don't mess with DAP on his watch even if there are no real differences. Ruins his ECNL rants.

Comment

Take a look at the link from the first post - that is just one example - costs the same as ECNL and there's three DA events listed in that handout. So no, GDA IS NOT CHEAPER. I know you are all rah rah GDA but it is not going to get all the players you and USSF think it will.

https://bsbproduction.s3.amazonaws.c...2017-01-04.pdf

From Oregon Thread
                            How can anyone possibly argue that Girls DA is going to make elite more accessible? From the Virginia link above:

Program Costs | Fees & Travel
                            • Player Registration Fee: $2,500
                            • Non-Refundable Deposit: $250 (upon acceptance)
                            • Uniform purchase from Ewing Sport (~$275)
                            • Additional Travel Costs on per event basis
                            • Team travel to Showcases and team travel games
                            • Final list of team travel games after release of schedule
                            • Actual costs determined by event

Where's the Stars and Breakers links?

Comment

Hey Chowderhead, did you read the first post of the thread? Or just the last one before you started to froth at the mouth.

No idea why you're attacking Fred either. There is no guarantee his clubs stays in the ECNL beyond this year.

Comment

ECNL was slightly cheaper than Red Bull-R1-USYS nationals that proceeded it. Had kids that did both, so speaking from experience. ECNL was a set schedule and we booked months ahead to get flight and hotel deals. Neither was cheap though. GDA will be in the same neighborhood. League names change, but the costs remain the same.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X