Tim Howard: The Foreign Players Didn't Have the Passion for the MNT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like MLS and I agree the best athletes don't play soccer. Yet, with smaller stadiums and a 2nd rate league soccer's per game attendance is right near baseball's. With a payroll the English Championship division would laugh at. You picked the wrong sport. Baseball had a good Post season but is dying a slow death. Soccer is growing despite the lack of support from big corporate money.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I don't like MLS and I agree the best athletes don't play soccer. Yet, with smaller stadiums and a 2nd rate league soccer's per game attendance is right near baseball's. With a payroll the English Championship division would laugh at. You picked the wrong sport. Baseball had a good Post season but is dying a slow death. Soccer is growing despite the lack of support from big corporate money.
      I don't think anyone is "picking" a sport, and I don't see the debate as being between soccer and baseball. If you look at the original post, the reference was to an article where Tim Howard opined that foreign born players don't put as much into the team as american players, and that Klingsman's penchant for foreign players had hurt the team. The observations being made are that American players generally aren't as good as players from other countries because American's have a host of other sports - including baseball - which attract the top athletes and that soccer gets the dregs of the talent.

Comment

That's where it started but not where it went. My original point was that Klinsman picked less talented foreigners on perception not on talent and reality. Including players with foreign experience despite not being the best American in there position. If it was pick up soccer Tim Chandler would not be the best right back we have. He could play for Barcelona and that would not change.

Comment

Tim Howard also thought what the craphead, washed up quarterback from the 49'ers did that cost cops lives was 'great'.

Tim Howard is an ignorant, washed up, bitter athlete. Sad way to go out.

Comment

Tim Howard also thought what the craphead, washed up quarterback from the 49'ers did that cost cops lives was 'great'.

Tim Howard is an ignorant, washed up, bitter athlete. Sad way to go out.
            Totally disagree. TH has been a great role model for US Soccer. Lack of passion and commitment was clearly there. Having JK didn't help - how much of it was his personality, frustration or his own lack of passion I can't say. A coach or a few players can set the tone for an entire team, both good and bad.

"I'm an old man and I've seen a lot of things, and what it seemed like to me was there was a lack of passion and desire by certain players to run through a wall," he said. "The national team is my heart and soul. If you take that away from me, you take a piece of my heart.

"I'd do anything to be on the field. I'll play injured, I'll take an injection, I'll do anything. Anything. It's not just me; there are a bunch of players who would do that. But in order to be a great team, in order to be one of the best U.S. teams -- which we have been in the past -- you need everybody, everybody to have that drive, that desire."

[url]http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/story/3041387/tim-howard-lack-of-passion-in-us-team-wasnt-just-from-dual-nationals

Comment

That guy is clueless. They hired a subpar coach in Klinsman. His only value was getting dual nationals. To his detriment, even crappy dual nationals. He was not respected in Europe as a coach, only as a player.

Comment

That guy is clueless. They hired a subpar coach in Klinsman. His only value was getting dual nationals. To his detriment, even crappy dual nationals. He was not respected in Europe as a coach, only as a player.
                Won't miss him. Can't be very motivating to players when your coach says "you're so bad I have to shop elsewhere." Not sure his replacement is the answer either, but at least the JK era is over.

Comment

So it's the foreigner players fault that we suck , a few players don't make the team, it's more than that it takes team chemistry. There is just not enough talent here

Comment

it's more than that it takes team chemistry.
                    The chemistry comes from the passions and the foreigners don't have the passions. How hard is it to understand?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X