Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 4 > Oregon

Notices

Oregon Discussions about Oregon soccer.

Old 09-13-2013
Unregistered

Default College Recruiting

Question: My son's club team will be playing in several "higher visibility" tournaments this season (i.e. Surf Cup, Dallas Cup). I'm aware that many college coaches are present. However, is it a good idea to have my son write letters to them ahead of time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My son is a U16 Fyi. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-13-2013
Unregistered

Your son must contacted schools he is interested in. Your son should have a resume put together, cover letters/emails written and a profile readily available, maybe a video on youtube to send out as well.

Coaches put together their schedule to watch players who have contacted them, not randomly roaming around. Some kids get identified while a coach is at a game scouting another player, but don't count on that.

Your club should guide you through this process, especially which level of schools your son should be targeting and how to market yourself with the club directors following up on your behalf.

The days of randomly being discovered are very, very rare. Being recruited takes a lot of work and a plan. The club should provide the plan, which typically starts with the freshman year.

Good luck.
Old 09-13-2013
Unregistered

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Your son must contacted schools he is interested in. Your son should have a resume put together, cover letters/emails written and a profile readily available, maybe a video on youtube to send out as well.

Coaches put together their schedule to watch players who have contacted them, not randomly roaming around. Some kids get identified while a coach is at a game scouting another player, but don't count on that.

Your club should guide you through this process, especially which level of schools your son should be targeting and how to market yourself with the club directors following up on your behalf.

The days of randomly being discovered are very, very rare. Being recruited takes a lot of work and a plan. The club should provide the plan, which typically starts with the freshman year.

Good luck.
Thank you for your reply. Sounds like you have been through the process. I have read other threads on this forum regarding collegiate play. Sounds as though full scholarships are rare and a few thousand more likely. Chances are my son will not get a full ride, but would at least like to give it a try. Thanks again!
Old 09-13-2013
Unregistered

Default Highlight reel

Highlight videos focus on competition at Club not HS.
Old 09-13-2013
Unregistered

Default .

http://www.ncsasports.org/how-do-you-get-recruited
Old 09-13-2013
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks!
Old 09-13-2013
Unregistered

Default Getting coaches attention

Quote:
Question: My son's club team will be playing in several "higher visibility" tournaments this season (i.e. Surf Cup, Dallas Cup). I'm aware that many college coaches are present. However, is it a good idea to have my son write letters to them ahead of time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My son is a U16 Fyi. Thanks in advance.
I have been through this with my two girls with one still playing. College coaches are overwhelmed by the sheer volume of e-mails and unsolicited resumes, dvd's, etc. Both men's and women's coaches tell me that in season they can get a thousand a week. Seems like a lot, but I choose to believe them. What to do:

1. Have good resume prepared.
2. Complete each individual college's questionnaire.
3. When going to tournaments, send the following e-mail to coaches:
title - Surf Cup - November 20-23, John Doe
body - I am John Doe, a sophomore playing for ABC soccer club on the U16 Maniacs
team as a defender, jersey #16.
Game schedules, (list date, time, field #, opponent)
I am very interested in playing for ABC University. I would like schedule a time
to meet with you on campus at a time we can jointly schedule -OR-
I would like to send you ..... and then communicate with you about your
program and how I might fit within it.
(You get the idea)
Follow-up after each tournament immediately and ask if they had an opportunity to
see you play, etc.
4. I wouldn't send dvd's etc. until asked for by the coaching staff. One coach typically handles new recruits, but address all communication to all coaches.
5. Scheduling visits on campus is great through the admissions office. You can then see the coaches.
6. Go to some games now, if possible, to see the team play. It helps to know the style of play and something about the team when you talk to coaches.
7. Do it now, not later.
Old 09-13-2013
Unregistered

Good tips, don't forget the grades and test preparation. Most important thing is finding the right academic fit. Try to narrow your preferences but keep your options open. It is hard to find time for everything, so plan and organize your visits, timing can be complicated. Get started as soon as possible. It should all come from the kid, and realistically they won't be ready without encouragement and help from the parents, schools and coach. It can be overwhelming.
Old 09-13-2013
Unregistered

Quote:
I have been through this with my two girls with one still playing. College coaches are overwhelmed by the sheer volume of e-mails and unsolicited resumes, dvd's, etc. Both men's and women's coaches tell me that in season they can get a thousand a week. Seems like a lot, but I choose to believe them. What to do:

body - I am John Doe, a sophomore playing for ABC soccer club on the U16 Maniacs
I am very interested in playing for ABC University. I would like schedule a time
(You get the idea)
Follow-up after each tournament immediately and ask if they had an opportunity to
see you play, etc.
4. I wouldn't send dvd's etc. until asked for by the coaching staff. One coach typically handles new recruits, but address all communication to all coaches.
5. Scheduling visits on campus is great through the admissions office. You can then see the coaches.
6. Go to some games now, if possible, to see the team play. It helps to know the style of play and something about the team when you talk to coaches.
7. Do it now, not later.
Valuable information. Thank you so very much!
Old 09-13-2013
Unregistered

Quote:

(You get the idea)
see you play, etc.
7. Do it now, not later.
Very good advice. And I don't think you can over emphasize no. 7 enough, particularly if you are looking out-of-state. Many schools want to see a player a min. 4-6 times in action - ID camp, summer camps, games. Getting their attention is one thing; getting them to actually recruit you is another story. A coach can get a pretty good look at you during a week long camp, but how many of those can you do? Try to drum up interest early, so then will want to come see you at tourneys.

If you're a late bloomer? Tougher but possible. Most D-1 programs have used up their scholarship money for a class by the end of the players' junior year - sooner for most top 50 programs. Players do drop out and spots do become available. Be persistent but realistic, and don't limit your options. There are lots of excellent opportunities beyond D-1.