Professional Soccer to Hartford

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will they put in a penny of their own money?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      This will go as well as Elm City.
      You know not of what you speak.

Elm City was a hobby for some no name. Coached by another no name with no name players in an amateur (yes, amateur) league. This is a whole different level, this is professional soccer, 1 level below MLS. Paid professionals, not college players. This will be a hit when all's said and done.

Comment

Elm City was a hobby for some no name. Coached by another no name with no name players in an amateur (yes, amateur) league. This is a whole different level, this is professional soccer, 1 level below MLS. Paid professionals, not college players. This will be a hit when all's said and done.
        Elm City 'no name' coach led the team to a championship in his first season. I hope Hartford can do the same!

Comment

Elm City had paid players and little to no college players. This is why they won. They also had good crowds that first year. All changed second year

The issue with all soccer in US whatever level is that you need deep, deep pockets to weather power gate and TV money.

Athletic doesn’t have that deep pockets

Comment

Elm City had paid players and little to no college players. This is why they won. They also had good crowds that first year. All changed second year

The issue with all soccer in US whatever level is that you need deep, deep pockets to weather power gate and TV money.

Athletic doesn’t have that deep pockets
            Why the negativity? Why not support them and wish them well ?What do you have against a Pro team being successful in Hartford ?

Comment

Why the negativity? Why not support them and wish them well ?What do you have against a Pro team being successful in Hartford ?
              No negativity. I will support them just like Elm City

Just the truth. Soccer ownership requires deep, deep pockets to weather the storm. Time will tell if this ownership group has those commitments

Comment

Just the truth. Soccer ownership requires deep, deep pockets to weather the storm. Time will tell if this ownership group has those commitments
                Okay, but you don't know how deep the pockets are. He is a businessman and I have seen his operation grow substantially over time.

There was plenty of doubt about the Yard Goats, how are they doing?

Comment

Okay, but you don't know how deep the pockets are. He is a businessman and I have seen his operation grow substantially over time.

There was plenty of doubt about the Yard Goats, how are they doing?
                  His pockets aren’t deep enough

So let’s talk about your Yard Goat comparison

- Yard Goats have been in CT under different names since 1973.
                  - Yard Goats play a more main stream American sport
                  - The Yard Goats get a better gate; it’s just math.
                  - YG play more home games (70) in a bigger stadium (6800) then Athletic ever will

A more apt comparison maybe Hartford Hellions

- The pro soccer team was owned by a local business man
                  - Hellions were underfinanced
                  - team played for three years in CT
                  - The two seasons in Hartford the Hellions average 4,361 fans per game.
                  - The team was sold and moved to Memphis
                  - Owner was placed in bankruptcy owing $500,000 in in paid bills

Comment

- YG play more home games (70) in a bigger stadium (6800) then Athletic ever will

The yard goats are in year 2 and the novelty is still there .... talk to me in year 5.

Comment

Same. It would be great if it did well, but the harsh reality is it will be a difficult slog

Comment

I am well aware of the math. The point is that what didn't exist on Hartford now exists and is generating interest and revenue.
                        Dillon Stadium is going to have 4-5000 seats. They already have a bunch of interested season ticket holders. And I guess you have a problem with their contributions to area programs for children ?
                        The Hellions were an indoor team, weren't they ? Soccer interest has grown substantially since then, has it not ?

Give it a chance. Support it. It amazes me so much that soccer people here in CT can be so negative and angry. Always at each others throats on here for anything and everything.

These are business people. They know the numbers. Plus, they'll get a big break on any mailings !

Comment

I am well aware of the math. The point is that what didn't exist on Hartford now exists and is generating interest and revenue.
                          Dillon Stadium is going to have 4-5000 seats. They already have a bunch of interested season ticket holders. And I guess you have a problem with their contributions to area programs for children ?
                          The Hellions were an indoor team, weren't they ? Soccer interest has grown substantially since then, has it not ?

Give it a chance. Support it. It amazes me so much that soccer people here in CT can be so negative and angry. Always at each others throats on here for anything and everything.

These are business people. They know the numbers. Plus, they'll get a big break on any mailings !
                          Who said I have a problem with any of it. I am not angry. I hope I am wrong and they make millions

However, your comparison to Yard Goats was a poor one

Here’s how a business person should look at the business of soccer

- Let’s say they sell 3000 season tickets.
                          - Hell let’s say they sell 5000 @ $300 a season ticket.
                          - You are talking best case $1.5 million.
                          - Most likely case you sell 1500 which is $450,000 with some single game tickets totalling $50,000.
                          - Thats a grand total of $500,000 which barely keeps the team going.

Comment

Who said I have a problem with any of it. I am not angry. I hope I am wrong and they make millions

- Most likely case you sell 1500 which is $450,000 with some single game tickets totalling $50,000.

What about the proceeds from veinless hot dog sales

Comment

Questions

Do you own a business? Have you ever owned a business ? Have you ever written a business plan and implemented it ?

Comment

Questions

Do you own a business? Have you ever owned a business ? Have you ever written a business plan and implemented it ?
                                Yes. Yes. Yes.

The soccer business is a terrible business especially at grassroots level

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X