Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Release from a club

Anyone know whats involved when asking for a player to be released from their current club? Who do you approach? Whats the process? How long does the process take?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Anyone know whats involved when asking for a player to be released from their current club? Who do you approach? Whats the process? How long does the process take?

Thanks.
    It's a mess. Best to just walk away in June, after the season.

Check what you signed. Even though your club probably did not agree to do anything for what you paid them other than host practices, you are probably on the hook to pay for the entire year. If you need a player pass to stay in the same leagues, you probably won't easily get it without settling your bill.

Some leagues, NPL and ECNL come to mind, won't permit a club to play a player who switches clubs midseason.

If you are going from one league to another, such as CJSA to NPL or vice versa, for example, this process will be much easier.

Otherwise, give us more info. Which league? Clubs? Etc.

Comment

Things to consider

- you may still owe money and likely can't get out of that
      - you won't get a refund unless the club did something egregious and you raise hell
      - if you have paid your obligation a club has to release you, but it doesn't mean they will make it easy
      - think about why you're leaving (bad fit, bad coaching, poorly run club) and what you want at the next club. If you're leaving just over playing time then you need to take an honest look at your child's skills - you may be vastly over estimating them.
      - where will you go? It isn't always to find good spots mid year but it can be done. Just make sure you don't leap into whatever is available because it could easily be more of the same if not worse.

Comment

Currently playing for a state level premier team. Would be moving to an NEP team based in another state.

Current club is "fine". Current coach is "fine". Current training is "fine".

We were approached by a former coach who has an need at the position my kid plays.

No first hand knowledge on other club, but I know my kid would prefer to play for other coach and the training would be vastly different.

Current fees have been paid. Contract says no refund which is fine. Other club would waiver their fees for us. Net cost would be the cost of a new kit.

Was just curious who I would contact. Coach? Club back office person?

Comment

Currently playing for a state level premier team. Would be moving to an NEP team based in another state.

We were approached by a former coach who has an need at the position my kid plays.

No first hand knowledge on other club, but I know my kid would prefer to play for other coach and the training would be vastly different.

Current fees have been paid. Contract says no refund which is fine. Other club would waiver their fees for us. Net cost would be the cost of a new kit.

So, you are going from CJSA premier to U.S. Club NEP premier, correct?

And, you are willing to let the money slide for the current club.

As it happens, there's no way for the CJSA or U.S. Club to track players who move between both systems.

So, you can just resign from your current club (or don't) while contacting the new club to find out what you need to do to start attending.

Probably you can ask your current coach who needs to get any resignation or just never show up again. And, probably, you can ask your new coach who at the club to contact to get things moving.

Comment

I'd say coach, and don't burn bridges.

Comment

How do you burn bridges? Your kid wants to move, everybody should be cool with that.

Comment

How do you burn bridges? Your kid wants to move, everybody should be cool with that.
                by being a dick about it.

Comment

by being a dick about it.
                  I'm not even sure how you can be one about changing clubs. Just say your goodbyes and hellos. Problem solved.

Comment

burning bridges is our biggest worry. Soccer community can be small. We are torn. We made a commitment to current team but training and enjoyment would be better at other team.

Comment

I'm not even sure how you can be one about changing clubs. Just say your goodbyes and hellos. Problem solved.
                      There was this player at OW. She was a regular starter on the team. Got >75% playing time.

Season ends, she "tries out" at Ow again, no plans to go anywhere else.

Meantime, all Ow coaches have team meetings with players and parents to stress, "let us know if you're trying out somewhere else."

Gotcha.

So, then they go and cut this girl with no notice whatsoever. Just cut her. From starter who gets lots of playing time to no club in one conversation. Done.

When my kid jumped to ECNL from OW, we listened, tried out at ECNL, and left. No bridges burnt. But, I'll always remember the way they treated that one kid ... shambolic.

Comment

burning bridges is our biggest worry. Soccer community can be small. We are torn. We made a commitment to current team but training and enjoyment would be better at other team.
                        Your current coach should be a pro and understand that the decision is made. You don't owe any money. Say, so long and thanks for all the fish, and leave. If he takes it some way as a burned bridge, then there's nothing you can do to prevent that; it just shows the guy's character.

Comment

does the team have enough reserves on the roster so they're not struggling for players/subs?

Comment

agreed-dont burn a bridge you dont need to
                            the reasons you gave are legit and not offensive in any way so its not a big deal also you are switching leagues and states so again not a direct conflict
                            everyone will be fine to part ways so theres no need to make it ugly when you dont have to

Comment

It's a small area so definitely don't burn bridges. You never know who may come across in a few years. If you're paid up they can't hold you and it's different league so they can't hold the pass. Lucky the new club will wave the fees. Just say "thanks for the opportunity but..." Clubs are used to it. If they make a big deal out of it then you were probably at the wrong club.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X