Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Revolution Academy needs to make some changes.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Only 10,000 fans on a beautiful Sunday. Bleak. If my son had real talent, I wouldn't consider the Revs academy for a second if it meant that you are essentially owned by them. Could someone explain exactly what commitment you make to them if you sign with the Revs Academy? Thank you.
    A commitment to mediocrity.

Comment

A commitment to mediocrity.
      If you're even that lucky. Guaranteed to lose any shot of a decent college career, maybe even a few $ for it.

Comment

If you're even that lucky. Guaranteed to lose any shot of a decent college career, maybe even a few $ for it.
        This is an interesting point. Do the Revs cost you more in the end than they save you up front?

Comment

Brazen to a whole new level

Why are Revs players still doing ProProject in plain sight?

Comment

This is an interesting point. Do the Revs cost you more in the end than they save you up front?
            I would say flatlining your development is a very steep price to pay, as is possibly killing your kid's self confidence and love of the game.

Comment

Revs don't care. Players are developing, they're just developing elsewhere

Comment

Don’t need it -was in response to ‘good luck’
                Soccer practice was 10 min drive. Games were 45 min at most. Not 4 hours or 2 weeks of missed school to lose 0-8
                He went to the Russian School of Math 2x/week
                He interned at a cool tech co in town.
                I was merely telling the forum our experience. You don’t need DA. He declined a Revs offer BTW and is actually pretty good. But he’s not going to play after college, except for fun so he enjoyed high school soccer, winter BB and then spring club.
                Congrats on what your son is doing. Let’s hope he doesn’t regret it.
                Our positions are not dissimilar, we just choose different ways to communicate them.

My son practices 10 minutes from home also, but in the interest of full disclosure, he has teammates that travel 90 minutes plus.

As for his games this year:

(13) 50% are at home(10 minute drive)
                (2) 8% are away but within 45 minutes.
                (7) 27% are away but he’ll travel by bus or plane(this has ancillary value)
                (4) 15% are away but 60+ minutes away

The travel isn’t as extreme as you appear to suggest. The independence reinforced by traveling alone to games, by bus or plane, has some value. The team building aspect is also excellent. He’ll miss less than 2 weeks of school and he will complete all his academic work, maintaining a class rank in the top 5% of an excellent high school. The time management skills necessary to succeed like he currently is are indispensable.

In regard to the Russian School of Math 2x per week, I feel the same way about that as you do about DA. For my son it is completely unnecessary. His grades in AP math classes and his 95th percentile score on the math portion of the SAT will more than suffice. That being said, I would never disparage your son’s choice to pursue it.

While my son has several quality ECs, he hasn’t interned anywhere. The balance in his resume, despite the extensive commitment DA requires, should be sufficient for all but the top Ivies.

My son has less than zero interest in high school soccer. He and the other DA players at his school have had to deal with peer pressure from classmates and considerable pressure from coaches for years. Would I prefer he was a 3 sport varsity athlete? Without question I would. It’s not my choice, though.

At this point my only hope is that DA Soccer will serve as a “hook” in the admission process that may allow him to matriculate at a school he wouldn’t have had access to otherwise. Any athletic money would be icing on the cake if he chooses to go D1.

Comment

Someone should sue the ProProject if they haven’t turned out any pro players. What a scam they are.

Comment

Our positions are not dissimilar, we just choose different ways to communicate them.

My son practices 10 minutes from home also, but in the interest of full disclosure, he has teammates that travel 90 minutes plus.

The travel isn’t as extreme as you appear to suggest. The independence reinforced by traveling alone to games, by bus or plane, has some value. The team building aspect is also excellent. He’ll miss less than 2 weeks of school and he will complete all his academic work, maintaining a class rank in the top 5% of an excellent high school. The time management skills necessary to succeed like he currently is are indispensable.

In regard to the Russian School of Math 2x per week, I feel the same way about that as you do about DA. For my son it is completely unnecessary. His grades in AP math classes and his 95th percentile score on the math portion of the SAT will more than suffice. That being said, I would never disparage your son’s choice to pursue it.

While my son has several quality ECs, he hasn’t interned anywhere. The balance in his resume, despite the extensive commitment DA requires, should be sufficient for all but the top Ivies.

My son has less than zero interest in high school soccer. He and the other DA players at his school have had to deal with peer pressure from classmates and considerable pressure from coaches for years. Would I prefer he was a 3 sport varsity athlete? Without question I would. It’s not my choice, though.

At this point my only hope is that DA Soccer will serve as a “hook” in the admission process that may allow him to matriculate at a school he wouldn’t have had access to otherwise. Any athletic money would be icing on the cake if he chooses to go D1.
                    You really are obsessed with my kid’s choices.

Comment

You really are obsessed with my kid’s choices.
                      Nope. I am concerned with those that push their agenda as the best one though. That’s what you are doing. I’m offering a counter argument you seem unwilling or unable to accept or refute. Good luck with your son. Let us know what his playing time amounts to and whether he sticks with college soccer, or not.

Comment

With the 17s in such disarray should parents expect even more cuts than usual at the end of the season?

Comment

Students of RSM are not there to get a good score on their SATs 😂 LOL. The kid has clearly excelled in math and sounds like he’s going to have a good future. And I really believe the OP does not care about your super amazing child, but rather was outlining a mechanism to get to college soccer without DA.

Comment

But he's got you as a dad so that sort of negates everything else.

Comment

But he's got you as a dad so that sort of negates everything else.
                              Lol love it. That dad is trying way too hard to justify choices and brag about his kid

Comment

Nope. I am concerned with those that push their agenda as the best one though. That’s what you are doing. I’m offering a counter argument you seem unwilling or unable to accept or refute. Good luck with your son. Let us know what his playing time amounts to and whether he sticks with college soccer, or not.
                                That’s not the impression I had. No one was pushing a thing. And it was in response to a post that club soccer can’t access college soccer coaches. You on the other hand seem to need to justify DA as a means to get into college. And you seem pissed you don’t actually need DA to play college ball. 😂

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X