Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspect that the claim is that they can't be suspended without some sort of due process. I also beleive that the coach would not be entitled to the same due process. So let's say that the parents get the injunction (unlikely but play along). Do you honestly beleive that the substitute coach that the school will appoint will play the almost suspended girls?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Have the girls been found guilty yet??
      If not, then they are presumed innocent.
      As for criminal proceedings, this is true. That doesn't mean suspects are not locked up prior to their trial, though does it ?

But with respect to school activites, student's participation is not a right, its a privlege. It is well within the school's authority to suspend the players from representing the school if they have been found to have committed such offenses.

Comment

I suspect that the claim is that they can't be suspended without some sort of due process. I also beleive that the coach would not be entitled to the same due process. So let's say that the parents get the injunction (unlikely but play along). Do you honestly beleive that the substitute coach that the school will appoint will play the almost suspended girls?
        What? School suspensions happen all the time and its based on the information see or conveyed. I will bet these same parents will side with the HS if some "miscreant" had or did something suspend-able.

Comment

So let's say that the parents get the injunction (unlikely but play along). Do you honestly beleive that the substitute coach that the school will appoint will play the almost suspended girls?
          What if the new coach is also a parent?

Comment

What if the new coach is also a parent?
            That would be pretty stupid on the school's part, no?

Comment

Schools have always been allowed to operate under their own authority and don't have to adhere to the the typical due-process proceedings you'd find in court. Internal policy of the school and MIAA policy trumps all other in handling of disciplinary action. Very little chance of an injunction being successful; too dangerous a precident and hazing/bullying is too hot a topic.

Comment

As for criminal proceedings, this is true. That doesn't mean suspects are not locked up prior to their trial, though does it ?

But with respect to school activites, student's participation is not a right, its a privlege. It is well within the school's authority to suspend the players from representing the school if they have been found to have committed such offenses.
                yes exactly. the school/principal have wide discretionary powers, and the behavior clearly fits within the usual school guidelines of non-permitted hazing. MIAA guidelines as well. this is a loser in court.

Comment

How do you know there wasn't "some sort of due process"?

What standard does a school have to meet in order to suspend a student?

Does the MIAA play a role in this or do they leave it up to the member schools?

Comment

You have to remember these are Needham parents and the same rules never apply in Needham. Remember the players that lived in neighboring towns and everyone knew it but they could play on the Needham team. Rules are different for Needham player & parents

You are both blind and stupid if you think this is a 'Needham' or any other specific town issue. You support my claim of your level of intelligence and social conscious by writing what you wrote.
                    I do feel that the Needham girls and their coach, if guilty, should be suspended and made an example of. It is the only way to impress upon others that these are serious issues with serious and real consequences. I would even go further to require community service.
                    I would feel the same way for any other situation that happens in any other town, whether it be Dover, Wellesley, Weston, Revere, Dorchester, Chelsea, or Roxbury.

Comment

Sure is. Tehy really know how to hire high quality individuals

Comment

How do you know there wasn't "some sort of due process"?

What standard does a school have to meet in order to suspend a student?

Does the MIAA play a role in this or do they leave it up to the member schools?
                        I don't know - I am trying to figure out what the argument would be to get an injunction which I think is unlikely. I gave a hypothetical that someonhow they got the injunction and siad I didn't think it would apply to the coach and that a school appointed coach would be under no obligation to play those players.

Comment

Commonwealth of Massachusetts: Anti-Hazing Law

Chapter 269: Section 17. Hazing; organizing or participating; hazing defined
                          Whoever is a principal organizer or participant in the crime of hazing, as defined herein, shall be punished by a fine of not more than three thousand dollars or by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than one year, or both such fine and imprisonment.
                          The term “hazing” as used in this section and in sections eighteen and nineteen, shall mean any conduct or method of initiation into any student organization, whether on public or private property, which willfully or recklessly endangers the physical or mental health of any student or other person. Such conduct shall include whipping, beating, branding, forced calisthenics, exposure to the weather, forced consumption of any food, liquor,
                          beverage, drug or other substance, or any other brutal treatment or forced physical activity which is likely to adversely affect the physical health or safety of any such student or other person, or which subjects such student or other person to extreme mental stress, including extended deprivation of sleep or rest or extended isolation.
                          Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section to the contrary, consent shall not be available as a defense to any prosecution under this action.

Chapter 269: Section 18. Failure to report hazing

Whoever knows that another person is the victim of hazing as defined in section seventeen and is at the scene of such crime shall, to the extent that such person can do so without danger or peril to himself or others, report such crime to an appropriate law enforcement official as soon as reasonably practicable. Whoever fails to report such
                          crime shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars.

Comment

So using your logic, that kid who shot another student at Brockton High last year (the fact that Needham plays Brockton High tonight is just a coincidence) at the basketball tryouts should have been allowed to try out for the team the following day since you can't presume guilt.

Your point is well taken and brings about the part of law that has to consider the danger of the alledged wrong-doer to society.
                            The weapon used in your example suggests that the person is potentially a danger to society. The alledged hazing in Needham (dog-leashes) is not of the same 'calibre'.....although I suspect you might argue about not really knowing what a person is truly campable of....

Comment

Sure is. Tehy really know how to hire high quality individuals
                              This has nothing to do with club soccer and is certainly not a laughing matter for you to use to try and bash another club with. Grow up and go back to the other threads you seem so intent on throwing around your bs!

Comment

I can't believe the parents are taking this to court. The only reason I would think that you would is if you know that your kid is not guilty and regardless of the "innocent until proven guilty" I think if you have freshman saying X, Y, and Z dragged us around the field on a dog leash and then smashed pies in our faces" you probably have enough evidence to presume guilt. It doesn't have to be proven in a court of law to suspend a kid for bad behavior in school. These parents do their kids no favor by not letting them take their medicine. This is exactly why our country is as screwed up as they are. We have parents that don't teach their kids that they are responsible for their acts and on the other hand we have school systems where lawsuits are brought at the drop of a hat.

Comment

Working...
                                X