Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running laps

Thoughts on coaches who make the team run laps? I’m talking more than half of the practice time spent running laps. My wife thinks coach just doesn’t know what else to do during practice, I say the coach is lazy. Game results are horrible.

Should we jump ship and look for a different coach?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thoughts on coaches who make the team run laps? I’m talking more than half of the practice time spent running laps. My wife thinks coach just doesn’t know what else to do during practice, I say the coach is lazy. Game results are horrible.

Should we jump ship and look for a different coach?
    I think you know the answer.

Comment

No, you should keep paying thousands of dollars to someone who makes your kid run laps. Sounds like a fun team!

Comment

Who’s the coach??? Club??

Comment

I think my D's U11 team should be running at least SOME laps. They do not run any team laps. Plenty of touches at practice but no wind sprints or any distance running

Comment

The best fitness training for soccer is... playing soccer. Running laps, windsorints, etc is all well and good, but soccer is sprinting, jogging, occassionally walking, all while performing technical skills with a ball.

Any coach that knows what he/she is doing can give kids a workout in 20-30 minutes that has kids sucking wind, while playing small-sided games and utilizing a ball. That's not to say a few laps as a team warm-up can't be a change of pace, or punishment for that matter, but no, laps went out in the 80's...

Comment

The best fitness training for soccer is... playing soccer. Running laps, windsorints, etc is all well and good, but soccer is sprinting, jogging, occassionally walking, all while performing technical skills with a ball.

Any coach that knows what he/she is doing can give kids a workout in 20-30 minutes that has kids sucking wind, while playing small-sided games and utilizing a ball. That's not to say a few laps as a team warm-up can't be a change of pace, or punishment for that matter, but no, laps went out in the 80's...
              True, however a 20-30 minute workout isn't necessarily the best. Kids should be left alone to do cardio on their own, instead of paying their coaches to do it. Change of pace, warmup, punishment, completely right. Also as competition between teammates.

Comment

True, however a 20-30 minute workout isn't necessarily the best. Kids should be left alone to do cardio on their own, instead of paying their coaches to do it. Change of pace, warmup, punishment, completely right. Also as competition between teammates.
                Yes it's often a lazy move (gives them more time to check their phones!). But coaches also know most players won't do fitness training on their own. Many schools have cut back on PE so kids don't get much there either. A lot of clubs squeeze 2+ teams onto fields for practices so they're not full field. MHO is if a team only practices two days a week all of it should be soccer. If it's three/week then doing some fitness each practice can be squeezed in.

Comment

Yes it's often a lazy move (gives them more time to check their phones!). But coaches also know most players won't do fitness training on their own. Many schools have cut back on PE so kids don't get much there either. A lot of clubs squeeze 2+ teams onto fields for practices so they're not full field. MHO is if a team only practices two days a week all of it should be soccer. If it's three/week then doing some fitness each practice can be squeezed in.
                  Running laps gets you good at running. A competent coach can get fitness and touches together. The game is about change of pace, some fitness to focus on this is fine in the older age groups but not before u12.

Comment

most kids will not do fitness work on their own.
                    FYI the very first cuts in college are based on fitness nothing else! keep that in mind Mia

Comment

most kids will not do fitness work on their own.
                      FYI the very first cuts in college are based on fitness nothing else! keep that in mind Mia
                      I'm not sure it's realistic to expect younger kids to work out on their own. Above is right that kids don't' get nearly enough in school any more - that would help. Once you hit HS if you want to be a serious players you should be doing training off the field on your own. If you can't motivate yourself to do that you're not going to get very far past HS.

Comment

I'm not sure it's realistic to expect younger kids to work out on their own. Above is right that kids don't' get nearly enough in school any more - that would help. Once you hit HS if you want to be a serious players you should be doing training off the field on your own. If you can't motivate yourself to do that you're not going to get very far past HS.
                        Agreed An unprepared, out of shape college athlete deserves to get cut. Fitness isn't an issue till 11v11. At that age a dedicated player will find time for fitness on their own, a ulittle kid should be focused on skills. This discussion is unique to the age group

Comment

Fitness is great

if the coach has your kid 4-5 times per week then I think there SHOULD be a dedicated time to fitness....not just the fitness that playing soccer gives. Although playing soccer does have jogs and sprints it is not necessarily the same as full body fitness and core training with upper body strengthening.

However, since the coach rarely has your child more than 2-3 times per day, that time should be spent playing soccer and the coach could recommend fitness on the non-practice days. Even at the end of practice, the wind-sprints should be done with a soccer ball at the feet....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X