Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    What point did they make? everyone knows that to make any group successful takes hard work and commitment. If I were a parent who really believed in GDA , all Stars showed me was that they are not very good. If I was ECNL parent, I would never have left ECNL.

All they have done is damage thier own credibility, but given a very samll percentage of any Club has the ability to move to another , it will have almost no impact. thats the point in all this. No matter how inept, greedy and self serving a Club is , once they reach critical mass, the inertia to leave is massive.
    The point that USSF entirely contributed to this entire mess. Neither of these organizations did amazing by the girls but ECNL started a defacto DA style league when USSF declined to do it 10 years ago and they made it a success.

Problems yes but I can understand the frustration when USSF comes back years later to reclaim the high end league for girls. They control the NT access and that was always a business risk for the ECNL but it still stinks when it happens.

IF USSF had just treated the girls like the boys years ago and started both DAs then, none of this would have happened.

Comment

The point that USSF entirely contributed to this entire mess. Neither of these organizations did amazing by the girls but ECNL started a defacto DA style league when USSF declined to do it 10 years ago and they made it a success.

Problems yes but I can understand the frustration when USSF comes back years later to reclaim the high end league for girls. They control the NT access and that was always a business risk for the ECNL but it still stinks when it happens.

IF USSF had just treated the girls like the boys years ago and started both DAs then, none of this would have happened.

I keep reading made it a success? In what way? we cannot re write history, but we dont have to be hostage to its mistakes either.

ECNL has elevated the showcases to a point where they are expensive and irrelvant for any really elite player. The league provides the same up and down competition , cost as well as more congested game schedule and fewer practices.

In the ECNL era we have lost ground to the rest of the World . how many U17 or U20 WCs have we played really well in or won ?

Is that on the ECNL ? no, but there clearly is some disconnect between development and the constant drive to showcase. Elite players really dont need to showcase. So what is the solution? To me , its an elite slice on top of the existing pyramid, but to do that the ECNL would have to comply as would other leagues and to date ego prevents that from happening.

the split had to happen and the key will be where from here. Happy this is it for mine, but sad to see how fragmented this has become for the very best players.

Comment

I keep reading made it a success? In what way? we cannot re write history, but we dont have to be hostage to its mistakes either.

ECNL has elevated the showcases to a point where they are expensive and irrelvant for any really elite player. The league provides the same up and down competition , cost as well as more congested game schedule and fewer practices.

In the ECNL era we have lost ground to the rest of the World . how many U17 or U20 WCs have we played really well in or won ?

Is that on the ECNL ? no, but there clearly is some disconnect between development and the constant drive to showcase. Elite players really dont need to showcase. So what is the solution? To me , its an elite slice on top of the existing pyramid, but to do that the ECNL would have to comply as would other leagues and to date ego prevents that from happening.

the split had to happen and the key will be where from here. Happy this is it for mine, but sad to see how fragmented this has become for the very best players.
        To make that small slice at the top of the pyramid (which I agree is what is needed to train the nation's truly top players) actually required USSF making the league smaller. Yes I know geography blah blah but theoretically that is what was needed. Instead they tried to make the pyramid bigger - but there isn't a bigger talent pool.

Comment

I guess you see a dramatically different experience between last years model and this years model. IMO same clubs, coaches, players, costs, travel, showcases. I was nodding my head with their criticisms of the ECNL and then so disappointed when I realized they were serving up the same meal at a newly named restaurant. Reinforced that the business of girls youth soccer works with this model so dont expect much change.

Comment

To make that small slice at the top of the pyramid (which I agree is what is needed to train the nation's truly top players) actually required USSF making the league smaller. Yes I know geography blah blah but theoretically that is what was needed. Instead they tried to make the pyramid bigger - but there isn't a bigger talent pool.
            but the pyramid needs a base. Other leagues should have been that base, but the ECNL does not want to be.

Comment

I guess you see a dramatically different experience between last years model and this years model. IMO same clubs, coaches, players, costs, travel, showcases. I was nodding my head with their criticisms of the ECNL and then so disappointed when I realized they were serving up the same meal at a newly named restaurant. Reinforced that the business of girls youth soccer works with this model so dont expect much change.

is see a huge difference in things than you probably dont.

1. the training is far better becasue most of the kids actually want to be there. there is no time spent removing HS kinks as we granted no waivers. the level and intensity in pracice now is far higher than it was in teh ECNL

2. As the father of a kid going to play in College, I prefer 1g per week. Reduces wear and tear as often by game 2 an elite player on a mid level team is putting in heavy work and getting marked or taxed by other teams

3. Its cheaper and the travel is less than it ever was in the ECNL for us on the U18/19 team

4. Rosters is smaller which has meant everyone plays , but a rest/ game off really is that.

5. More time for other things like tactical session, film sessions and conditioning.

its been a better league and experience for my kid. I dont care about the scores. If we go to Empire and the team wins 10-0 I see it as less wear and tear. If the coach tells her not tot travel (which has happened) im fine with that .

My kid is not trying to win a GDA championship. just trying to get better and use it as a stepping stone to College. I accept fully that others may well see it differently.

Comment

but the pyramid needs a base. Other leagues should have been that base, but the ECNL does not want to be.
                DA,
                NPL
                NEP
                MAPLE
                BAYS
                Would be a perfectly good pyramid. It would be better with ECNL in the #2 slot, but they could join later if they want.

Comment

is see a huge difference in things than you probably dont.

1. the training is far better becasue most of the kids actually want to be there. there is no time spent removing HS kinks as we granted no waivers. the level and intensity in pracice now is far higher than it was in teh ECNL

2. As the father of a kid going to play in College, I prefer 1g per week. Reduces wear and tear as often by game 2 an elite player on a mid level team is putting in heavy work and getting marked or taxed by other teams

3. Its cheaper and the travel is less than it ever was in the ECNL for us on the U18/19 team

4. Rosters is smaller which has meant everyone plays , but a rest/ game off really is that.

5. More time for other things like tactical session, film sessions and conditioning.

its been a better league and experience for my kid. I dont care about the scores. If we go to Empire and the team wins 10-0 I see it as less wear and tear. If the coach tells her not tot travel (which has happened) im fine with that .

My kid is not trying to win a GDA championship. just trying to get better and use it as a stepping stone to College. I accept fully that others may well see it differently.
                  most of that is a function of your club, not the league. you are fortunate to have found a good plaec for your player.

Comment

most of that is a function of your club, not the league. you are fortunate to have found a good plaec for your player.
                    The poster's experience is definitely not representative of everyone's. If it were all that smooth there's be much less complaining and talks of leaving by families and clubs

Comment

The poster's experience is definitely not representative of everyone's. If it were all that smooth there's be much less complaining and talks of leaving by families and clubs
                      At BBA I have heard zero complaining about GDA.

Comment

Clearly its a function of a few things

1. My kid gave up HS before the GDA came into existence
                        2. Plays for a very good coach
                        3. Committed long ago
                        4. Focused on College.

not typical of all, but apart from #1 no reason why that should not be true of all elite players above a certain age.

Comment

Clearly its a function of a few things

1. My kid gave up HS before the GDA came into existence
                          2. Plays for a very good coach
                          3. Committed long ago
                          4. Focused on College.

not typical of all, but apart from #1 no reason why that should not be true of all elite players above a certain age.
                          Lack of #2 is the biggest issue with ours; that and inconsistent competition. LISC? Oy vey.

Comment

EVERYTHING is a function of the Club which is why its laughable that PDA or STrars could be great in the ECNL and bad in the GDA

Comment

Ok, so who was at the meeting? Time to spill it on T-S.

Comment

Ok, so who was at the meeting? Time to spill it on T-S.
                                Obviously not you.
                                Therefore you have no need to know.
                                Sorry.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X