Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when does college recruiting start

Question for those parents with daughters at the younger end of the birth year.........When they start doing showcases at U15 (but are still in 8th grade), how does that work with the recruiting process? From what I understand, players should be doing outreach to coaches of colleges they're interested in around the time they start showcase tournaments, but does that really start in 8th grade? New to all this so maybe it's a dumb question.

According to 06 parents already has begun.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Question for those parents with daughters at the younger end of the birth year.........When they start doing showcases at U15 (but are still in 8th grade), how does that work with the recruiting process? From what I understand, players should be doing outreach to coaches of colleges they're interested in around the time they start showcase tournaments, but does that really start in 8th grade? New to all this so maybe it's a dumb question.
      I've been in a few (free) seminars about this so the advice is probably worth what I paid. Everything I've heard is that for girls, U16 is the prime time for showcasing/recruitment. U15 they should be compiling lists of colleges they are interested in attending and beginning the process of reaching out, but you're unlikely to get much attention at U15 as most coaches are too busy looking at U16's.

Yes, there are outliers being looked at and recruited at U13/14, but those tend to be NT caliber prospects.They get lots of media attention, but are not the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
        I've been in a few (free) seminars about this so the advice is probably worth what I paid. Everything I've heard is that for girls, U16 is the prime time for showcasing/recruitment. U15 they should be compiling lists of colleges they are interested in attending and beginning the process of reaching out, but you're unlikely to get much attention at U15 as most coaches are too busy looking at U16's.

Yes, there are outliers being looked at and recruited at U13/14, but those tend to be NT caliber prospects.They get lots of media attention, but are not the norm.
        Starting April 1, the NCAA is going to ban recruiting contact before junior year. Right now, it is a free for all, with 9th and 10th graders committed.

Comment

Starting April 1, the NCAA is going to ban recruiting contact before junior year. Right now, it is a free for all, with 9th and 10th graders committed.
          I'm all for that. 15 year olds shouldn't be making decisions on college when they aren't even a quarter of the way through high school.

Comment

Link? For right now I believe only LAX is experimenting with that rule and it just started. However I also would live to see it happen. Boys soccer has a more reasonable timetable (mostly junior year). Girls is absurd

Comment

I'm all for that. 15 year olds shouldn't be making decisions on college when they aren't even a quarter of the way through high school.
              Its not binding. Why not ?

Comment

Not for nothing, but college coaches are already banned from making contact with any player before their Junior year. The recruiting and contact that is happening before then is either the player reaching out to the coach and/or the coach reaching out to the club to have the player contact them.

Coaches are allowed to communicate with a player before their junior year if 1. The player calls them up on the phone and actually reaches the coach at school. 2. The player visits the school in-person. Most of the coaches doing early recruiting are getting around the rules by communicating through the club and the above 2 work-arounds. Also, the early offers are not binding, as nothing is legal until the NLI is signed senior year.

Comment

It begins on Thursday. All the awkwardly complicated stuff begins on Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                    Not for nothing, but college coaches are already banned from making contact with any player before their Junior year. The recruiting and contact that is happening before then is either the player reaching out to the coach and/or the coach reaching out to the club to have the player contact them.

Coaches are allowed to communicate with a player before their junior year if 1. The player calls them up on the phone and actually reaches the coach at school. 2. The player visits the school in-person. Most of the coaches doing early recruiting are getting around the rules by communicating through the club and the above 2 work-arounds. Also, the early offers are not binding, as nothing is legal until the NLI is signed senior year.
                    Players will still be able to call coaches, but there can be no recruiting discussions before junior year. True about nothing is binding for the early commits. It's all verbal.

Comment

Please parents, educate yourself about how the recruiting process works. The prior couple of posts are the idle musings of a person who doesn’t know the first thing about the subject and you are stupid enough to believe any of it your kid will end up with nothing but D3 options. Bottom line is you are asking when recruiting starts you are already too late.

Comment

dont forget that the guys who named it a "college showcase' for U15/u16 players are all the tournament organizers (aka the club owners) who prefer that our money be in their wallet --- and we gladly fork it over

Comment

Please parents, educate yourself about how the recruiting process works. The prior couple of posts are the idle musings of a person who doesn’t know the first thing about the subject and you are stupid enough to believe any of it your kid will end up with nothing but D3 options. Bottom line is you are asking when recruiting starts you are already too late.
                          Good post. If you want to get good information about the recruiting process, reach out to parents of kids who have been through it and are playing in college now. Everyone has a different story but the basics are the same. Don’t pay attention to the yahoos here.

Comment

Since recruiting is a waterfall process the timeline is actually dictated by when the very best players in the graduation year start getting looked at. Currently on the girls side that is in the 7th grade. That’s not to say everyone starts getting looked at then but it is certainly well before the Junior year that the clown earlier was trying put forward. The average kid is now actively invoked in the recruiting game at the start of their freshman year.

Comment

Nothing but D3 options? Depends on why you are going to college. Academics or soccer? I can think of plenty of D3 schools I’d be proud to have my child go to. Don’t be a snot and assume the only worthwhile path is D1.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X