Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What right do you have to expect your club coach to call college coaches?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What right do you have to expect your club coach to call college coaches?

This topic popped up in the thread about high school soccer and it seemed like a pretty important one that deserves its own thread. What are the norms out there in terms of how must assistance club coaches give the college hopeful players? Over the years I have read stories ranging from extensive support to almost non-existent support. I think the real question is what SHOULD club coaches be doing as opposed to what they are not doing. What do parents have a right to expect from the club coach in terms of assistance with the college recruiting process.

How does NEFC do it, BTDT? And for the clubs that do a piss-poor job would you be willing to help out anyone who needs extra assistance?

Comment

Why don't you go on their website and look for yourself.

http://www.nefc.us/college

Its all there.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Why don't you go on their website and look for yourself.

http://www.nefc.us/college

Its all there.
        You went to the trouble of starting the thread and even referenced/linked to the other thread, but I guess all you want to talk about is Stars. OK, fire away.

Comment

We already know how the Stars and NEFC operate. You would have to live in a cave not. What would be more helpful to read would actually be what other clubs like Breakers, MPS, Aztec, Bolts, and Revs approach things. That will more or less tell you what the norms are.

Comment

Not directly related but a good article

"THE TEN THINGS OTHER PARENTS WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT CLUB SOCCER"

http://www.burnthillsunited.com/10things.pdf

Comment

We already know how the Stars and NEFC operate. You would have to live in a cave not. What would be more helpful to read would actually be what other clubs like Breakers, MPS, Aztec, Bolts, and Revs approach things. That will more or less tell you what the norms are.
              Sounds like people don't know how these clubs operate. Talk to parents from the clubs if you really need information.

Think about this.

College coaches cannot call or email a player before a certain date. How do you think they contact the players? Of course club coaches at all the big clubs are talking to college coaches. How else do you think contact gets made?

Comment

Players contact coaches. The club coach can be a resource by likely has little to no idea about what schools may work for a kid. The ground work and initial contact comes from the player not the coach.

Comment

Sounds like people don't know how these clubs operate. Talk to parents from the clubs if you really need information.

Think about this.

College coaches cannot call or email a player before a certain date. How do you think they contact the players? Of course club coaches at all the big clubs are talking to college coaches. How else do you think contact gets made?
                  The club coach's role should be more than just an air traffic controller for emails. At the onset they should be very involved in helping the family develop a realistic list of college programs the player can aspire to and then as the process moves along they should be trying to connect the player with the college coaches at those schools. A good portion of the sad cases you hear about all come down to the family not knowing where the player is a good fit for and not knowing whether the coaches there have any actual interest. How many times do you hear parents venting frustration because they are not getting responses from the college coaches and they don't know what to do about it. The club coach should be calling that coach for the family and simply asking if there is interest. Most families only need a simple yes or no answer and can move on from there on their own but not knowing if the coach is even aware of the player is a common roadblock.

Comment

The club coach's role should be more than just an air traffic controller for emails. At the onset they should be very involved in helping the family develop a realistic list of college programs the player can aspire to and then as the process moves along they should be trying to connect the player with the college coaches at those schools. A good portion of the sad cases you hear about all come down to the family not knowing where the player is a good fit for and not knowing whether the coaches there have any actual interest. How many times do you hear parents venting frustration because they are not getting responses from the college coaches and they don't know what to do about it. The club coach should be calling that coach for the family and simply asking if there is interest. Most families only need a simple yes or no answer and can move on from there on their own but not knowing if the coach is even aware of the player is a common roadblock.
                    Why? Wouldn't it make more sense for D to ask the college coach directly?

Frankly, I want my club coach to have as little to do with the process as possible. Act as a first filter for appropriate level, be an email messenger and give out recommendations when requested. That's it.

Comment

Why? Wouldn't it make more sense for D to ask the college coach directly?

Frankly, I want my club coach to have as little to do with the process as possible. Act as a first filter for appropriate level, be an email messenger and give out recommendations when requested. That's it.
                      Interesting, why do you want the club coach to have so little involvement? Is it because you don't trust them?

How do you address the issue when you can't get through to the college coach in order for you D to talk to them directly? My experience was that is the biggest road block. Not knowing whether you were getting ignored because they weren't interested or just because they didn't know who you are.

Comment

Interesting, why do you want the club coach to have so little involvement? Is it because you don't trust them?

How do you address the issue when you can't get through to the college coach in order for you D to talk to them directly? My experience was that is the biggest road block. Not knowing whether you were getting ignored because they weren't interested or just because they didn't know who you are.
                        If you can't get through to the coach, you probably have your answer.
                        College coaches that are interested will let you know it - it is more likely that you will get interest from coaches for whom you are back plan, than you would get no response from a coach that has serious interest.

The exceptions are the horribly disorganized coaches who do very little recruiting (usually lower tier d3 coaches) and coaches that you are catching at the wrong time in the recruiting cycle (eg most d3 schools before JR year).

As for why I want so little club coach involvement - it is a complicated decision that involves so many moving parts that I don't think most club coaches have the background to understand that academic, social, financial aspects of the decision.

We've been through the process with two kids. I've seen how uninformed the professionals (HS guidance counselors) were with this stuff when you get outside their comfort zone - they know they schools that 80% of their kids apply to, but we were in the 20% and their advice would have been catastrophic if we had listened (outright wrong advice about what classes to take and what tests to take when).

Back to the club coaches - MAYBE they have a decent feel for where they fit soccer wise - MAYBE - but even that requires a knowledge of multiple programs, coaches personalities and playing styles. Fit is a lot more than "is she good enough for team X."

Comment

College coaches that are interested will let you know it - it is more likely that you will get interest from coaches for whom you are back plan, than you would get no response from a coach that has serious interest.

The exceptions are the horribly disorganized coaches who do very little recruiting (usually lower tier d3 coaches) and coaches that you are catching at the wrong time in the recruiting cycle (eg most d3 schools before JR year).

As for why I want so little club coach involvement - it is a complicated decision that involves so many moving parts that I don't think most club coaches have the background to understand that academic, social, financial aspects of the decision.

We've been through the process with two kids. I've seen how uninformed the professionals (HS guidance counselors) were with this stuff when you get outside their comfort zone - they know they schools that 80% of their kids apply to, but we were in the 20% and their advice would have been catastrophic if we had listened (outright wrong advice about what classes to take and what tests to take when).

Back to the club coaches - MAYBE they have a decent feel for where they fit soccer wise - MAYBE - but even that requires a knowledge of multiple programs, coaches personalities and playing styles. Fit is a lot more than "is she good enough for team X."
                          Really, if you can't get through to the college coach you probably have your answer? How are you even sure the coach is getting the emails?

Comment

Wow, all that I can say is it is a good thing you have a strong and talented kid and you are not the panic type yourself. I've been through it twice myself and would suggest that you aren't the typical parent. I guess one difference between our experiences is we always chose our clubs and coaches based largely upon both their ability and willingness to participate in this process with us so different choices lead to different places.

Comment

Wow, all that I can say is it is a good thing you have a strong and talented kid and you are not the panic type yourself. I've been through it twice myself and would suggest that you aren't the typical parent. I guess one difference between our experiences is we always chose our clubs and coaches based largely upon both their ability and willingness to participate in this process with us so different choices lead to different places.
                              Frustrating BTDT when you start a thread and think you have a sure-fire winner for bashing Stars and you end up not hearing what you want to hear. So you will just keep insisting about how it should be, all while assuming Stars don't help at all, and eventually you'll pose as a Stars parent who agrees with you.

And the idea that you would cede control to anyone in your own search has me in stitches.

There are sophisticated folks here in Mass and many of the families know what level they are at, both athletically and academically. To tell you the truth, I don't want a club coach telling me where I should go. What if his only connections are in the Little East conference, or only in the Patriot League, or only in whatever that league is that FDU plays in. You are preaching for a dead-wrong approach. And maybe that helps us understand that even with all of your knowledge and all of your phenomenal club support you always get it wrong.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X